Sync issues on the Pioneer 1017 amp

moviemaker

Standard Member
Hi There,

Newb here. I have carried out extensive searches on this forum as well as various search engines, but have not found a fix.

I have recently just purchased a 50" 557 Samsung Plasma, as well as the Pioneer 1017 AV amp.

I'm still waiting for my proper speakers top arrive, but thought I would connect my old speakers to run a small test.

I phono leads from the TV to the amp, but noticed that there was a sync issue between the visual image on screen and the sound that was being processed by the amp and coming from the speakers.

I then used the same cable and from the TV plugged it into the SKY box. Again I was having the same problem.

I must admit, I was just testing for sound quality and haven't used the MCCA sound setup .

Could anyone please advise if there is a fix for this?

Many thanks

MarkE19

The bad news is that I have had a look at a few sites selling the VSX-1017 and have not seen any mention of a video & audio sync feature. Basically the larger the display the more you are likely to notice a delay in the video from the audio. This is caused by the digital processing required to get the plasma working.
The good news is that you can get an external box to resync the video & audio (although not exactly cheap) such as the Felston DD540.

Mark.

moviemaker

Standard Member
HI There,

Thanks for your reply.

Reading through the article, so does this mean that all large screens will have sync problems regardless of which amp is used ?

I take it using a HDMI cable to connect the devices probably won't work either?

MarkE19

HI There,

Thanks for your reply.
You're welcome :thumbsup:
Reading through the article, so does this mean that all large screens will have sync problems regardless of which amp is used ?
Well yes and no! :rolleyes:
All large screens make any lip sync errors more obvious and all pixel based displays have digital processing that takes time and therefore creates a slight delay. DVD players (and probably Sky/Freeview/cable STBs as well) also have to do video processing that takes time and increases any video delay. Some people are lucky and simply don't see it - some only see it once it has been pointed out to them.
A lot of modern AV processors & receivers are now built in with an adjustable audio delay to help correct this issue. I know Arcam DVD players for a few years now have also had some audio delay adjustment, but this is far from the normal with DVD players.
I take it using a HDMI cable to connect the devices probably won't work either?
It may or may not, you will only know by trying it. It removes the D>A conversion from the source and then A>D in the display as the signal stay digital at all times. Weather this is enough only you will be able to decide, but it wont eliminate all the video processing so there will still be some (but perhaps not enough for you to notice) delay. Get a cheap HDMI cable to see if it does the trick - you don't need to spend much just to see, you can always get a better cable later if you feel it is justified.

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom