Symbols (National flags) on reg plates?

W

Will O.

What exactly are the rules? Some say that it's illegal to have a national flag on the corner of your reg plate. Yet, when we collected our brand new car from the dealership a couple of weeks ago, I noticed straight away that they had printed & fitted plates with the Welsh logo on – it's not something that we had specified when ordering, and just assumed that all was ok. However, I was very surprised when warned about my plates by a chap who lives down the road; he said that he was stopped in Manchester and fined £35 for having exactly the same sort of plates that I have. I have had a look on the DVLA website and found this Q & A:

Can other symbols (e.g. national flag, football team crest) be used on number plates?

The Government announced on 28 December 2001 the intention to permit the display of national flags and symbols on vehicle number plates. When the regulations are amended they will provide for the voluntary display of the Union flag, Scottish Saltire, Cross of St George and Red Dragon. Football team crests etc are not allowed.

MattZani

Banned
you can have your nationality on a plate, then you don't need a sticker in the window when you go abroad, but nothing else, no car logo's etc. and print behind that says stuff like volkswagen aren't legal either, but its hard to see when moving, but if stopped for something else, they'll fine you.

udsf

Banned
the rules about number plates are a complete mish - mash - apparently plates fixed to the car with adhesive pads instead of screws are illegal?

also - correct me if i'm wrong - but plates must show the name of the plate maker/supplying garage?

my plates are custom made - glued on and have no garage name etc yet have passed the MOT:confused:

Kebabhead

Novice Member
the rules about number plates are a complete mish - mash - apparently plates fixed to the car with adhesive pads instead of screws are illegal?

also - correct me if i'm wrong - but plates must show the name of the plate maker/supplying garage?

my plates are custom made - glued on and have no garage name etc yet have passed the MOT:confused:

More info on number plate regulations here

The fact that yours are glued on may have something to do with this

udsf

Banned
More info on number plate regulations here

The fact that yours are glued on may have something to do with this

having read those 'regulations' - God help us!!

some people waste the taxpayers money writing such gibberish - when you can buy the 'bits' to make a numberplate off numerous web sites - so why steal one?

God save us from Eurocrats/bureaucrats!!!

udsf

Banned
to quote a traffic cop i know - 'do you think i've got time to waste checking numberplates when there are killer cars and drivers on the road?'

W

Will O.

Many thanks for all your replies. In the meantime, I've been back to the dealership that supplied the car & plates and they insist that the plates are perfectly legal. After all, they are main dealers for Volvo, Vauxhall, Citroen and Nissan so I reckon (hope!) they should know what they're doing.

Cheers,
Will O

BrynTeg

Distinguished Member
i have a focus st with nice welsh flags on the plates, i live in a housing estate which is for police men and none of them have ever commented on it, nice and safe to live here too!:cool:

Hi-Def

the reason that they might want to steal your specific plates is becuase they have the garages postcode/details on them

making it even more authentic

sidicks

Banned
I wonder if I can get my plates re-done with the Cornish flag instead of the Union Jack?!

sidicks

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom