• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Syma X8W multi charger

MrMav11

Prominent Member
I've bought son a Syma X8W for Xmas, and as it's short flying time also bought another 2 batteries. However the only multi charger I could find to charge all at once is coming from China. Is there any available from UK?

Also all the multi charger looks like is a cable splitter. Can the original charger that comes with the X8W charge all 3 batteries at once? Is it rated for this, worried that it may not have the village and current to allow this?

I presume that the below cable just plugs into the original charger and then can charge all 3. Anyone have one, or know of another solution.

Thanks

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450526650.413480.jpg

rickyt

Established Member
The battery's for my Syma X8 are 7.4v ,2000mAh . Surely the device above will not charge 3 of these battery's 5v input ,output 4.5v . I've seen these sort of chargers for the Syma x5 but not used on the bigger battery's .I may be wrong though .
I use a B6 for all my battery's .

MrMav11

Prominent Member
The battery's for my Syma X8 are 7.4v ,2000mAh . Surely the device above will not charge 3 of these battery's 5v input ,output 4.5v . I've seen these sort of chargers for the Syma x5 but not used on the bigger battery's .I may be wrong though .
I use a B6 for all my battery's .
That's exactly what I think...

Those are the batteries that I've ordered yes. There is a USB plug so could charge a couple using this lead via my iPad charger suppose and the other with the included charger maybe?

What's a B6 please?

rickyt

Established Member
iMax B6 is an excellent charger ,lots of people use these as they do a multitude of things ,like discharge for storage and charge from car battery in the field .
Beware of fakes , there's lots of them about . I bought mine from HobbyKing and paid about £28 for it . The link take's you to a one on ebay and judging by the price it could well be a fake .
It's only showing you an example of what they are and what they do.
iMAX B6 Charger Professional Digital RC Lipo NiMh Battery Balance Charger UK

Eric

Distinguished Member
I bought one from china. I could get it from the UK but at a massive mark up. Happy to wait. I have 5 batteries for my X5C..

MrMav11

Prominent Member
I bought one from china. I could get it from the UK but at a massive mark up. Happy to wait. I have 5 batteries for my X5C..
Yeh I was desperate, left too late again for Xmas. I paid £100 for the drone alone, no extra batteries from Amazon, whereas can get it delivered in few weeks for half that!

Opened it and disappointed that the charger is a foreign plug mind, thought they'd be UK when it was bought from Amazon a UK seller, at least should have included an adapter, or told me in description. I've now got to go in loft and get suitcases to see if I've got one....

Eric

Distinguished Member
My 5C is a usb charger so no issues there and it goes into an iPad type UK plug just fine. Problem I have now is I can't charge the batteries quick enough!!

Mine came with 1 as standard but the eBay seller I got it off included another two. I bought 2 more pre-Christmas as for the price it was worth it. Getting some more though! I think they are about £1.50 each from China, makes sense.

MrMav11

Prominent Member
My 5C is a usb charger so no issues there and it goes into an iPad type UK plug just fine. Problem I have now is I can't charge the batteries quick enough!!

Mine came with 1 as standard but the eBay seller I got it off included another two. I bought 2 more pre-Christmas as for the price it was worth it. Getting some more though! I think they are about £1.50 each from China, makes sense.
That's what I've ordered off Amazon, it's got 2 end to goto the batteries, other end is USB plug so presume just plug that into iPad charger I'm hoping. Won't be here until mid Jan though.

If the 3 batteries isn't enough I'll buy some more of Amazon or eBay, think they were £10 for 2 of Amazon

Eric

Distinguished Member
Mine are all from eBay. Cheap as chips but have to wait 3 weeks or so.

My stock charger is one at a time. STRESS!!!

MrMav11

Prominent Member
Mine are all from eBay. Cheap as chips but have to wait 3 weeks or so.

My stock charger is one at a time. STRESS!!!
Yeh it's charging them that's the prob, bought this off Amazon to charge 3 at once apparently, from an iPad charger suspect as has USB.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451056440.923153.jpg

MrMav11

Prominent Member
Your right just ordered one anyway. That's too much at mo. Have 3 batteries at moment, just having to charge 1 at time currently until the splitter comes.

Seems daft really at the reported 7 mins flying time they must know people going to get more batteries straight away?

Eric

Distinguished Member
Your right just ordered one anyway. That's too much at mo. Have 3 batteries at moment, just having to charge 1 at time currently until the splitter comes.

Seems daft really at the reported 7 mins flying time they must know people going to get more batteries straight away?

For the price mine cost, I have five and another couple ordered. Flying time on the DJI's are only circa 25 mins and they are £70-100 per battery!

I have got quite good with mine today! No major crashes and put a large cake tin on the floor to land and take off on!!

Next is flying upstairs, our stairs are enclosed, so should be fun!

Wife asked which is my next upgrade. This was only a test to see if I enjoyed it..

MrMav11

Prominent Member
Haven't even tested this yet! Been horrendous rain, so can't, hopefully tomorrow! How high is this flying then? That's what son keeps asking

Eric

Distinguished Member
Still flying in the house!! Took it outside yesterday but windy and it would have been lost. Today is even worse. High winds, flooding etc...

Happy though as with bits of furniture and door ways, it's a bit of technical flying and crashing haha!!

Practiced landing on a cake tin today :).

Also the main thing is when it's pointing in a different direction, the controls vary. So had it at a low altitude if you will, different positions, practicing moving it.

MrMav11

Prominent Member
Didn't think it would be ok to fly in house! Thought the X5 was more suited to inside? Never really thought about using inside though, for a complete noob is it not a bit dangerous for us?

Eric

Distinguished Member
Mines the X5C and is great inside. What do you define as dangerous? I've crashed it into the ceiling, floor, dog, sofa and daughter :)

Luckily it's very durable! I have got a small nic in one of the props but it seems ok. I have a spare set and won another spare set from China for 40p!

I've bought a few spares today, for the price I would rather have them and never use them, than not and be without till they come if it fails.

MrMav11

Prominent Member
Well had a go outside today, was fun, although can't really get it steady to just go straight up and hover yet, it's wandering off, tried to fine adjust but no good yet.

Been charging the 3 batteries now since 3pm though using the 1 charger we have at moment. This is the ridiculous thing, 7 hours and still all 3 aren't fully charged yet...

Eric

Distinguished Member
Mine usually takes a couple of clicks on the fine tuning and it's almost spot on. But, that is in the house with no wind.

My batteries take about 60 mins to charge with the charger that came with it.

davepuma

Distinguished Member
I got some new batteries for my X8W as when I went to use it, the battery was flat (or so I thought). Anyway, I got about 1.5 flights out of it and now it's dead. The motors cut out after 10 seconds or so. If anyone has any links for troubleshooting, it would be appreciated. The manual tells you nothing other than charge the battery etc. I've contacted the ebay seller in the meantime but I can't help feeling that buying cheap has failed me again......

I have always been suspicious of cheap Chinese chargers so I guess if I'm going to continue with this hobby and invest in a self-build quad, I'll need to get a decent charger anyway.

Eric

Distinguished Member
6 out of 9 batteries I have are 'cheap' Chinese ones. Personally can't fault them. From my 600mah ones I get a good 10 mins of fly time including intermittent camera usage.

Chinese sellers are usually very helpful too if you have issues.

davepuma

Distinguished Member
It's not the batteries that have failed as I've tested them with a meter. I intend to get a proper charger at some point. Nothing from the eBay seller with regards to my dead quadcopter. I'm not surprised.....

Now I have to decide whether to go with a phantom 3 standard or build something from scratch. I fancy using my eos-m camera at some point but the cost of a suitable gimbal might preclude this.

A few UK suppliers sell the imax chargers so I might look into them.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom