Syberia and Hi-Def - Help anyone?

S

Spacedog

Hi anyone.

I sucessfully performed the "Splinter Cell-save game-softmod" on my PAL Xbox this afternoon and, first of all, I must say the results are WOW!!!! Just tried a couple of games and the difference on my V32 Sony LCD is STUNNING!!! :eek:

One thing though is really bugging me. I purchased an used PAL game called "Syberia" on eBay in order to try out the 720p and 1080i modes after I did the softmod. So I turned on all the hi-def modes on the dashboard (480p, 720p, 1080i) but the game only runs in 720p (my tv shows '720p' as the input signal) !! The graphics are just AWESOME in 720p but nevertheless it SHOULD run in 1080i according to this list (I got this link from this forums).

So what is happening here? Is it possible, since I have the PAL game, that the PAL version only supports 720p (being the 1080i mode only available in the NTSC version)?? Can this happen??

Anyone with this game and hi-def that can help??

Please? :)

Thanks a lot in advance!

yes it is possible for the PAL and NTSC releases to support different resoloutions, but for this game ive no idea as i've never heard of it.

i'd sudgest getting enter the matrix, which does have 1080i on the pal release. somewhere like GAME should have some 2nd hand copies going cheap

Thank you very much PooonTang, I guess I'll follow your suggestion :thumbsup:

I really just need a game that ouputs 1080i in order to test my tv and see if it works with 1080i. You see, I have a DVD player that outputs 720p and 1080i int both PAL and NTSC but I can't see no image in the 1080i mode!! So I need the XBOX to output 1080i to the tv to rule out the problem in my tv.

Can you confirm that Enter the Matrix has 1080i in its PAL version?

Thank you again!

BTW, can you see the XBOX Dashboard in all 480p/720p/1080i modes?? If so how can you do it?? I only know how to switch to 480p mode (pressing both triggers and then both thumbsticks)

Thanks!

Spacedog said:
Can you confirm that Enter the Matrix has 1080i in its PAL version?

Thank you again!

BTW, can you see the XBOX Dashboard in all 480p/720p/1080i modes?? If so how can you do it?? I only know how to switch to 480p mode (pressing both triggers and then both thumbsticks)

Thanks!

Enter the matrix doesn't output in 1080i modes on PAL, I tried it, althogh the TV switches mode to 1080i, it says disc is damaged or dirty and won't load, same with 720p.

You can only get the dashboard in 480p mode and PAL.

Not long now till the 360....

mal, you sure your disc isnt faulty, i'm pretty sure my mate had it running in 1080i

The US versions of MX Vs. ATV and MX Unleashed by THQ also support 1080i. I'm not sure if the UK ones do but it's quite possible they do. You can always buy one of them from GAME and take it back under their 10 day return policy.

Are you sure your TV can display a 1080i signal as 1080i, and that it doesn't display a 1080i signal as 720p?

It's a HD-Ready tv (one of the new Sony models) so it can show 1080i.

Nevertheless, i asked a guy in another forum who has the same tv and he can play the NTSC version of Enter the Matrix in 1080i, so the tv can definitely show 1080i.

have you turned on the 1080i setting in the xbox dashboard? normally it isnt enabled

Yes, I have. I have all hi-def modes set to "YES" (480p/720p/1080i) in the dashboard. Thanks anyway for your reminder :thumbsup:

It just occured me.

Tell me something: in order to output the 1080i mode, do I have to set the 720p mode to "NO" in the Dashboard (additionaly to setting the 1080i mode to "YES")??

if all options are "yes" the xbox will output at the highest res the display says it will accept, try putting the other two to "no"

i think there is a mod to get your xbox dash to display at higher res, il have to look when i get home (Bout 10 mins) (have to do soft mod to new dash tho)

Ok, thank you Jago! I'll wait for your post then :D

Interesting, I crossed upon this thread from "The Magic Box" forums: http://www.the-magicbox.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-12179.html

When reading this specific part:

"I'm amazed by this, though. I set my XBox to letterbox and got Syberia to display in 720p (which I've done before), and amazingly 1080i (which I had never tested). No kidding; I turned off the other video options and chekced the indicator on the transcoder. My monitor clocked the H/V freq. at 33.6kHz/60Hz, so it being greater than 31kHz, is in typical monitor sync range."

and the following:

"Please note that Syberia does not actually cover the entire area of the picture when running in either HD format. In order to get 1080i you have to turn everything else off like you did, otherwise it goes to 720p."

Seems like there's a little trick in this game to make it run in 1080i :D

Can't wait to try it tonight!!

Ok, that's it!!! Mistery solved for me!!! :smashin:

You really need to switch 480p and 720p to "NO" in the dashboard (and leave just "1080i" set to "YES") in order to play "Syberia" in 1080i !! My V32 tv shows the signal perfectly!!

Thank you anyone for your tips! :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom