Sy router - new D-LINK DSL-2640S?

Pugs1

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just got this router. Anyone know how to get the user name and password out yet for it so I can use my own router?

Not sure if it's even possible yet TBH. have you tried using this one and seen what it's like?

Is that what Sky are sending out now?

It is a perfectly good router unless you want 802.11n so unless that is the case, why not use it?

It is what Sky are distributing now. It appears to be ok but it's a bit limited (only two pieces of wired equipment can be connected and limited to 54mpbs wireless, no N) and I'd like to use my own router instead. Strangely, on the back are two RJ sockets that are marked green and blue and are 'earmarked' for future Sky services.

Yeah, I got the same one the other day, and the connection just got changed over about 10 mins ago. Seems perfectly fine to me, can change the ssid, password, encryption mode, don't really need anything else from a router.

My only grumble with it, is it doesn't allow seperate WPA or WPA2, you can only used mixed mode, which seems a bit daft, hopefully they'll update the firmware.

I haven't tried all 4 ethernet ports because I use homeplugs, but if indeed only 2 are active, why not just use a hub? I got one from ebuyer for less than 20 quid.

only two pieces of wired equipment can be connected
I'd just ignore those labels an use those ports. It is difficult to believe that Sky have disabled them. At home, I am currently using 'crippled' DSL-2640R (ex-TalkTalk) as four port Ethernet switch. .

Have a look at this site "skyuser.co.uk" they are a independent site, not belonging to sky.
I got my username and password for my sagam router, with help from them.
I hope this helps.

I'd just ignore those labels an use those ports. It is difficult to believe that Sky have disabled them. At home, I am currently using 'crippled' DSL-2640R (ex-TalkTalk) as four port Ethernet switch. .

I read that one of the previous Sky routers also had two "reserved" colour coded ports, which are fully functional Ethernet ports.

Just got this router. Anyone know how to get the user name and password out yet for it so I can use my own router?

I expect Sky will have tried to make it even harder to obtain the authentication details, than the previous two routers.

Out of curiosity, does the router respond if you attempt to telnet into it?

The ports are fully functional, use them as you wish.

Yes, can confirm the ports work ok.

The username & password is for your sky broadband login account details. I cant find anything on extracting these as of yet:thumbsdow

The username & password is for your sky broadband login account details. I cant find anything on extracting these as of yet:thumbsdow

I got my details using SkyUser.co.uk when my original 'Sky supplied' Netgear 834GT died. However, that was quite a while ago.

Here is the thread:

Ive done it! Flashed router and got my sky password!

I doubt this will work for your new style router though?

That wont work for this router.:(

Apologies, I didn't actually have the patience to read the entire thread, so this may already have been found but here goes...
username: admin
password: sky

enjoy :clap:

Yes - looks like Sky have done some more work on protecting this new router. Seems they have changed the way the user ids (based on MAC) and/or password generator works again. Previous hacks for the Netgear and Sagem Sky routers no longer work!
Also, they seem to have successfully disabled telnet access into busybox to allow remote login. Telnet is there but it terminates the session immediately - must be a coded login protecting it.
As ever Sky won't provide support. Someone has logged in as root but didn't say how they did it. Will do more research until we find a way.
Sorry - forgot to mention that admin / sky is only the admin user on the setup. They have hidden and protected the real user id and password being used to log in to CHAPS within the firmware. You can't see it in the setup information. They must be using a remote setup utility to configure these routers before sending them out. Just need to figure a way in.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom