1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SXRD in UK

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by blearyeyes, Oct 20, 2005.

1. blearyeyes

blearyeyes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone heard any more firm data re Sony SXRD sets for release in the UK? Just been in touch with the Sony Cetre Edinburgh and noboby there had even heard of these!! I mean let's face it, you'd think that staff would have to be familiar with all their company's technology, but no. The guy said that there is no demand for rear pro sets in the UK so he reckoned Sony wouldn't be selling these sets here. I can't believe that the best we are going to get is the 50A12, when the rest of the world gets the best of the best! :confused:

2. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
  3. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
    not all sony centre staff are thick ;) as paulb said if you look we had quite a few good posts about the set.They are due out sometime next year,just be patient cause they are coming

4. logiclee

logiclee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +169
    Ordered another Sony 3LCD 50" Rear Pro today. Manager of Sony Centre in Derby told me that Sony have completely underestimated the demand for the new HD Ready rear pro's. His area sales manager had been in a meeting yesterday to discuss how Sony were going to manage gearing up production and prioritising back orders.

Cheers
    Lee

5. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
    No chance sony wont do anything,i will let you in on a little secret on how sony works..............All product have a life span about 6-8 months,they allocate so many sets for the uk.Now if that product sells out within 5 months no more will arrive even if its been selling well!!
    Classic example rdr-gx900 a fantastic dvd recorder we sold so many units we couldnt get enough they sold out way before there lifespan so what did sony do............. nothing.They didnt bother with any more units.
    All i can say is to people if they want the set they should snap it up before its to late ;)

6. logiclee

logiclee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +169
    Sony manager said that Sony are working on a "Just in Time" order system so he wasn't sure when we would get the set. He also said that the TV's were in stock but there was a shortage of stands.

Anyway back on topic.
    I'm sure the SXRD sets will make it to the UK.

Cheers
    Lee

7. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
    your parents should be ok lee as its still early,and im sure sxrd will make it they would be fools not to realease it,it would sell so well :thumbsup:

8. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
    sxrd will be hitting the shores between may and aug,they are gonna start from around £5k for the 55" and £7.5k for the 70" quite expensive :eek:

9. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pricy...

I'd rather drop 13k on the 65 inch Sharp then...

10. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
    the prices are rough but prob not far off,unless they have change of mind nearer the time ;)

11. blearyeyes

blearyeyes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sxrd will be hitting the shores between may and aug,they are gonna start from around £5k for the 55" and £7.5k for the 70" quite expensive.

Yet these sets were only released in the US a few weeks ago and they now available for just over $3,000! If the slated UK prices are correct then I won't be buying - too much of a rip-off!!! :mad:

12. skywalker1010

skywalker1010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hi Kourosh,

I started a thread a good few months ago on this Qualia....http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1483193&page=1&pp=15

I was eager then after seeing all the press details on it and seen threads on the AVS forum. The new sets are 1080P, so we are in for a treat.

I was in Harrods again this weekend, they have an extensive section there from Sony. Again, the Sony guys knew nothing of it, when I asked the other Plasma guys one Harrods Sound & Vision pillock said that he doubted that Sony would be releasing any Rear Pro anymore as the technology is dead!. :mad:

Of course I told said pillock that SXRD was a Lcos based 3 chip system and would probably make him wee himself if he was ever in a position to see it.

Where do they get these muppets!, Kourosh you really are an exception :thumbsup: at least you know your stuff.

Nick

13. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Harrods TV dept is run by Sevenoaks Sound & Vision, I believe.

14. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    I can't believe they will be priced that high, Sony have been remarkably cost-friendly with their AV products of late and their intention is to swamp the consumer market with their flagship products. At £5k, they won't sell more than a handful. Plus, recent price drops in DLP sets (the Sagem HD50H dropped £200 last week and but has only been out for two weeks :eek: ) are a hint that a price war is about to start and I think the Sony (and possibly the new Samsung) is the one thats kicking things off. Its good and it'll be cheap and it will win Sony a large slice of the market (they dropped out of Plasma & CRT and badly want to secure the lion's share of the rptv market). Sony have already stated that the cost of its SXRD chips are only slightly more expensive than LCD chips, just look at the cost of Sony's new 50" 3LCD (which has just about sold out everywhere) and there lies the future strategy - they tried the high-end, its doesn't work for them anymore.

I had hoped they would be here early in the new year, what the heck is holding them up?!
    Paul

15. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907

Thanks nick, the thing is the info is there for them to find out all they have to do is pick up the phone and call there area sales manager.
    I work in the sony centre portsmouth and i always grill the reps when they come round,like today we had the sales manager visit our store straight away i grilled him about sxrd and qualia 46" lcd.
    He's not very technical but he knows roughly when products come out.He has seen the sxrd and said the picture was fantastic,he also told me he had meeting end of next month for the new range of products that is due for realease next year,so by early dec he can give me a defin date for the sxrd.
    The bad news is the qualia 46" lcd wont be making the uk :( he has also seen that set working,the most amazing picture ever :eek: he stood 2 inches away from the screen and there was no pixelation what so ever it was clear as anything,they will be just show sets and at £15,000 a time i dont think there will be many sold.There is also a 3lcd sxrd front projector thats out very soon and thats full hidef res.

16. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907

im hoping my rep is wrong and the sets will come in a bit cheaper,because they could make an absalute killing because every1 would want it

17. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
    hope my rep is wrong,but we always get ripped og in the uk with everything :(

18. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    It would be great if you could indeed get some (hopefully good) inside news for us Kourosh, its these snippets of information that keep this forum buzzing!
    Paul