• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

SXRD gone bang......what LCD to replace it with? 46"+

RobC

Established Member
Ok, as expected my Sony KDS-55A2000 has just gone pop so I am looking for a replacement. I am looking for a decent LCD panel with a minium of 46" screen.

I have been really spoilt by my last Sony because the screen update/colours and blacks were fantastic. Is there anything in the current line up of TVs that can offer great natural colours, brilliant blacks and most importantly next to no motion blur? Budget is around £2k

Challenge set :D

IvanDobskey

Established Member
Well, I can definitely recommend the Sony KDL46X4500 :thumbsup: Very pleased with mine! Cost £1399 and worth every penny. Fantastic picture quality.

RobC

Established Member
Strange you should post that, was just looking at the KDL52Z4500. I don't know a great deal about the new Sony's so any advice gratefully received.

IvanDobskey

Established Member
The x4500 is one of the few sets with full rgb led backlight and local dimming. This means the colours, blacks and contrast is superb. This tv cost 3.5k when it was launched just over a year ago but can now be had for £1400
as it is discontinued. I don't think there is a better LCD for the money.

RobC

Established Member
Think I've got it narrowed down to the following, any comments?

Sony KDL 46Z4500 or X4500
Samsung UE46B8000 LED
PHILIPS 47PFL9664

IvanDobskey

Established Member
I was looking at the Samsung to start with but got put off by clouding and uniformity issues and terrible sound. The Philips looks a nice TV and gets a good review but i'm not personally keen on the styling of it and I thought it was a bit too pricey (I think it uses a CCFL backlight). Having had my X4500 for over a week now, I certainly wouldn't swap it for any of the others.

YellowSphere

Prominent Member
Are you sure it's a good idea to take such a backwards step in terms of size?

IvanDobskey

Established Member
Take my advice and snap up an x4500 before it's too late. There's really little to find fault with on this tv. The only gripe I have is that it's a bit on the chunky side.

RobC

Established Member
Thanks for all the replys!

I've spent the afternoon wondering around the shops looking at various TV's and I think I've decided (this is going to upset IvanDobskey ;)) on the Sony KDL-52Z5500. Decided that I can live with 3" less but the 46" was just slighly to "small"

SXRD - It fell foul of the Sony design flaw which mean't it needed a new optical block (~£1000) so the warranty company wrote it off. I am taking a bit of a gamble on another Sony but I am hoping this one will last more than 3.5 years.

IvanDobskey

Established Member
The KDL-52Z5500 is a good TV for sure :thumbsup: although I think it uses CCFL backlight rather than LED. So it won't be as good for blacks / contrast. But if you are used to a 55 inch TV you are probably better off going for something bigger than 46 inch. I went from a 37 inch WLT58 to the 46 inch X4500 so din't have the issue of size downgrade. Hope you're pleased with whatever you go for though.

scooby do

Established Member
I went from SXRD to LG Plasma 60PS8000 and am very very happy. TV looks so much smaller despite the extra 5 inches in my room.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom