Swp

Lateralus

Established Member
Reaction score
i think the lad is great and he is a terrific footballer, but i cant stop myself from thinking he is really foolish.

he scores a goal last night, gets a rush of blood to the head, and then goes and announces he doesnt want to leave chelsea at all and he is having a great time there.

:confused:

one minute he is saying he needs more first team football, and now he is saying he likes sitting on the bench. i really REALLY want him to move elsewhere like portsmouth as harry seemed pretty interested in him last night on the highlights program, or even west ham where he is truely wanted. such a waste at chelsea.

what do you guys think?

How he can say he's "happy" i just don't know!
Since his move to Stamford Bridge he's barely played, lost his England place and hardly played back-to-back games since his arrival (think he's only played 2 games this season!!)

If i was a top Premiership footballer, I couldn't imagine feeling any worse than if i were in his shoe's. Surely every professional aspires to playing week-in week-out and achieving something in football. Sadly, all he'll be remembered for is being a £21m mis-fit - that's not a tag i'd personally like!

All i know is, he must be very content at just picking up his wages every week and doing jack for it!

Maybe he just wants to push up his fee for moving? It has to be cheaper to move somebody who is unhappy at a club than somebody who is happy.

Or perhaps Chelsea isn't getting offered enough cash to sell him and he doesn't want to affect his standing within the team.

There could be loads of reasons why he said that he is happy at Chelsea that have nothing to do with wanting stay.

Maybe he just wants to push up his fee for moving? It has to be cheaper to move somebody who is unhappy at a club than somebody who is happy.

Or perhaps Chelsea isn't getting offered enough cash to sell him and he doesn't want to affect his standing within the team.

There could be loads of reasons why he said that he is happy at Chelsea that have nothing to do with wanting stay.
Could be. SWP wouldn't be the first or last player happy to be a 'bench warmer' in the prem era though. :rolleyes:

What else could he say - it was just the standard response to a question that shouldn't get asked.

I think first and foremost, SWP's move from Man City was not based on footballing reasons, but on financial ones initially. He managed to secure his future in one fell swoop. Also I think Ian Wright played no small part in his decision to move south. It was interesting therefore, to hear his recent public condemnation of the way Chelsea were treating his son!

SWP was also fully aware of the difficulty he was going to face in getting a regular place ijn the team...remember at the time, as well as Joey Cole and Robben, Damien Duff was also at the club.

I agree that there might be a part of him that is accepting of his current predicament, but he is still fairly young I can understand it to a certain extent. When he looks at his opposition for the first team, he probably thinks "fair enough"... (for the moment). However, part of me wants him to stick it out for another season, because I honestly think that Robben will be away soon, and SWP will get his chance. Additionally, who knows what Mourinho will do next? If we were lucky enough to win the Champions League he could walk away. :eek:

I have a sneaky feeling that Mourinho likes SWP though. If he didn't rate him, why didn't he let him go in the summer instead of Duffer? Or then again, maybe he didn't give Jose as much grief about not playing, as discussed before.

I know that on the face of it, it appears that a move would be best for SWP, and I for one want him to be happy... and playing football... however, I certainly don't see him as an overpriced misfit, because he just hasn't had a chance.

We'll see what happens....

i think the lad is great and he is a terrific footballer, but i cant stop myself from thinking he is really foolish.

he scores a goal last night, gets a rush of blood to the head, and then goes and announces he doesnt want to leave chelsea at all and he is having a great time there.

:confused:

one minute he is saying he needs more first team football, and now he is saying he likes sitting on the bench. i really REALLY want him to move elsewhere like portsmouth as harry seemed pretty interested in him last night on the highlights program, or even west ham where he is truely wanted. such a waste at chelsea.

what do you guys think?

he will be down here(portsmouth) in the transfer window;)
to be fair if he has to play regular football for his own sake and most important England:thumbsup:
we cant have a player like hm n the bench week in week out:nono:

he will be down here(portsmouth) in the transfer window;)
to be fair if he has to play regular football for his own sake and most important England:thumbsup:
we cant have a player like hm n the bench week in week out:nono:

Dont be greedy....we've already lent you Glen Johnson, haven't we? ;)

Dont be greedy....we've already lent you Glen Johnson, haven't we? ;)

it wont be another lend;) we will buy him outright:thumbsup:
i would also like to buy johnson outright he has been great..............but i did see in the paper that arsenal could be intersted in him as well:(

Rest easy my friend.... no matter how much they offer, Arsenal..or any of our major competitors (Man Utd or Liverpool)...will never get any of our players! Indeed Portsmouth have more of a chance of getting him. Jose Mourinho really likes Harry and would indeed do him another favour...like Glen Johnson.

i hope so,he has been excellent......he is great at going forward,ok defence wise he gets caught out now and again
but i think he has improved so much this season:thumbsup:
also saw alves has been mentioned with chelski today(right back)

Yeah, I saw the Alves link. I think Jose is too critical of the right backs he has got. Glen Johnson is great going forward , as you say, but is suspect at defending. But Mourinho himself bought Ferreira and he has also lost confidence in him. He has played Gereni at right back in recent weeks, but now appears to have lost confidence in him also... In the last couple of games, he has changed things around and played Michael Essien at right back! :eek: He doesn't know what he wants.... I think he will bring Johnson back next season and have another look at him.

Yeah, I saw the Alves link. I think Jose is too critical of the right backs he has got. Glen Johnson is great going forward , as you say, but is suspect at defending. But Mourinho himself bought Ferreira and he has also lost confidence in him. He has played Gereni at right back in recent weeks, but now appears to have lost confidence in him also... In the last couple of games, he has changed things around and played Michael Essien at right back! :eek: He doesn't know what he wants.... I think he will bring Johnson back next season and have another look at him.

or the youngster at man city:thumbsup: he looks a great prospect great at defending and great at attacking:smashin:

or the youngster at man city:thumbsup: he looks a great prospect great at defending and great at attacking:smashin:

I think Jose is more interested in defensive qualities... I think he is too much like Glen Johnson.

I think first and foremost, SWP's move from Man City was not based on footballing reasons, but on financial ones initially. He managed to secure his future in one fell swoop. Also I think Ian Wright played no small part in his decision to move south. It was interesting therefore, to hear his recent public condemnation of the way Chelsea were treating his son!

SWP was also fully aware of the difficulty he was going to face in getting a regular place ijn the team...remember at the time, as well as Joey Cole and Robben, Damien Duff was also at the club.

I agree that there might be a part of him that is accepting of his current predicament, but he is still fairly young I can understand it to a certain extent. When he looks at his opposition for the first team, he probably thinks "fair enough"... (for the moment). However, part of me wants him to stick it out for another season, because I honestly think that Robben will be away soon, and SWP will get his chance. Additionally, who knows what Mourinho will do next? If we were lucky enough to win the Champions League he could walk away. :eek:

I have a sneaky feeling that Mourinho likes SWP though. If he didn't rate him, why didn't he let him go in the summer instead of Duffer? Or then again, maybe he didn't give Jose as much grief about not playing, as discussed before.

I know that on the face of it, it appears that a move would be best for SWP, and I for one want him to be happy... and playing football... however, I certainly don't see him as an overpriced misfit, because he just hasn't had a chance.

We'll see what happens....
I can understand where you're coming from, but all i'm really asking is just how on earth can he be "happy" with the situation that he's in?

I have no doubt at at all that at the time of his transfer he had no idea what was in store for him at Stamford Bridge. I'm not saying that he's greedy or anything like that - no one could refuse an offer like the one that Chelsea made to him and i'm sure he saw it as an opportunity to enhance his name and to really shine on the big stage (and i certainly don't blame him for that).

I just feel that he hasn't been given a chance to show what he can do and surely he must be feeling bitter about that. It's all good and well saying he's only young, but 2 years [so far] is a long time in football.

And as kourosh says, i also feel that it's an absolute travesty that an English player of SWP's ability is just keeping the bench warm at SB

......I just feel that he hasn't been given a chance to show what he can do and surely he must be feeling bitter about that. It's all good and well saying he's only young, but 2 years [so far] is a long time in football.

And as kourosh says, i also feel that it's an absolute travesty that an English player of SWP's ability is just keeping the bench warm at SB

SWP certainly hasn't been given a fair crack of the whip. We thought he was going in the summer, but then Jose said he was taking him on the pre-season tour of the States and that it was his last chance to impress Jose...
I was desperate for SWP to do well and watched the games on Chelsea TV. I was screaming for him to roast some defenders and to maybe score a goal.... but he was really disappointing when he came on. He just ran into corners and was easily dispossessed by American club players! I was distraught for him, but then Jose sold Duffer and came out and said that he wanted to keep SWP. :clap:

I desperately want him to stay, but part of me also wants to see him play and be happy.....if that's away from Stamford Bridge...so be it! :(

He's in a catch 22 situation though, because he is a confidence player, but at Chelsea, he doesn't get enough games to build his confidence. He comes on for 20 minutes, tries too hard... has a mare... and is set back again. That's why it was great for him to score on Tuesday... but whether or not it makes any difference with Mourinho... I doubt it if I'm honest...

Well I can't see him coming to us if we carry on playing like we did last night - not sure he wants first-team football so badly that he'd be willing to do so in the Fizzy Pop league... :(

Well I can't see him coming to us if we carry on playing like we did last night - not sure he wants first-team football so badly that he'd be willing to do so in the Fizzy Pop league... :(

You never know... you made a bigger coup when you got Tevez and his mate, didn't you. The fact that Chelsea, unusually, came out and said there had been interest from your lot, might mean something....don't count it out.
If Chelsea do sell him, they won't let him go to our competitors, and if he wants to stay in London, that's Arsenal out for that reason.. and he isn't gonna take a massive backward step and go to Spurs ;) so you could be in the frame. :smashin:

I am thinking that signing SWP would be slightly more legitimate than Tevez & Mascherano though mind you... :rolleyes:

In the New Year we should have Ashton back and I'd love to see the pair of them in the same eleven - with Tevez too. We might end up scoring some goals with those three, stranger things have happened!

I do reckon though if our form continues Chelsea could effectively name the price for SWP, as our new chairman isn't going to want his new investment to drop down to the Championship, so will do everything he can to halt the slide.

The transfer window can't come soon enough...

...I do reckon though if our form continues Chelsea could effectively name the price for SWP, as our new chairman isn't going to want his new investment to drop down to the Championship, so will do everything he can to halt the slide.

I don't think Chelsea would hold you to ransom over the fee TBH. If the player is unhappy, they will let him go, period. Just look at Damien Duff... he wanted away and we sold him to Newcastle for a paltry £5 mil. :eek:

... but he is still fairly young I can understand it to a certain extent...

He's 25.

Another season and he's wasted the most influential part of his development warming the bench. Any player that was happy with that would not be welcome in my team if I were a manager...

Agreed. You have to question why SWP publicly says he is happy only playing in *meaningless* cup games, when Aaron Lennon has since taken his place and cemented himself as 1st/2nd choice England right winger (depending on where Stevie G is played)

He appears to lack the conviction, the will and ambition to do anything about it. Had he stayed at City, or gone to a bigger team than City where he would have actually got games (instead of 4 players for every position Chelski), he may have been half way to becoming the player that all the early promise showed

Agreed. You have to question why SWP publicly says he is happy only playing in *meaningless* cup games, when Aaron Lennon has since taken his place and cemented himself as 1st/2nd choice England right winger (depending on where Stevie G is played)

He appears to lack the conviction, the will and ambition to do anything about it. Had he stayed at City, or gone to a bigger team where he would have actually got games (instead of 4 players for every position Chelski), he may have been half way to becoming the player that all the early promise showed
He was in a no win really. He and his step-dad wanted him to go to Arsenal, where, with Pires due to go within a year (he already stated he wanted more than Wenger would give contract wise) he would have been certain to get 1st team football. However, Chelsea did what many of the leading clubs have done over the years, and bought him to make sure a rival didn't. If a player in this day and age is offered a lucrative contract and a massive fee, they don't turn it down.

The days when a player stayed unless he was certain to get 1st team football elsewhere, and quite often even then would put club before a 'golden handout', are long gone.

It's hardly fair to slag SWP off for doing what plenty of others do. Whether it's 'right' or not.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom