sworralls floating wall thread (yes another one!)

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by sworrall, Mar 30, 2008.

1. sworrall

sworrall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    thought id best post up my build of a floating wall which was started that fateful day when I showed grooves build to my wife. She instantly loved it and suggested we do it which has been the only time this has happened with an AV or technology project! of course this was not one to let pass so I carefully read through grooves thread to map a plan out on how to build one.

The old setup consisted of two magika cabinets around a magika TV stand with my old 32" sony CRT which was all removed. We got the 42" Panasonic PZ70 after a lot of reading here and have an 8.5 foot viewing distance to the wall. Two besta ikea units were purchased as per grooves build (-1) and one built to hold the TV whilst work commenced.

First up, send in the little one to clear out the old mess! The sofa has already been removed in prep for the new one arriving.

[​IMG]

Frame build starts on wall and the new sofa and TV are covered from the dust

[​IMG]

Outside frame up and secured. I used 50mm * 47mm rough sawn wood from B&Q for the edges. To secure them to the wall I used 8 * 100mm frame fixers. If youre buying these for your build then go to screwfix. They were £9.48 for 16 in B&Q but i managed to pick up 100 of the same type in screwfix for £5.87 !!! :eek: - http://www.screwfix.com/prods/19356/Fixings/Frame-Fixings/8-100-Frame-Fixing

[​IMG]

The wall bracket anchor bolts are drilled into place and the mount tested for level. Again I bought the fixings from screwfix, £2.95 as opposed to £9.48 in B&Q - http://www.screwfix.com/prods/17637/Fixings/Shield-Anchors/Shield-Anchor-Stud-Type-10-x-125mm-Drill-Size-16

You can see in the above and below pics that i took the corners off the frame so the rope light would bend around it easier and give a wider arc.

[​IMG]

Vertical 50 * 47mm posts were fitted on the sides to give the mdf some structure to lock to. 100mm * 47mm batons were placed behind the wall bracket and the protruding anchor bolts passed through pre-drilled holes in the wood. For a belt and braces approch i decided to attach the braket to both the wall with anchor bolts and the wood with the coach bolts that came with it.

[​IMG]

Thats all for tonight, wil post up more tomorrow once ive processed more pics.

Attached Files:

2. Stephen.Harris

Stephen.Harris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Looking good. Keep it coming.

3. jolly

jolly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    Are you going to use LED'S, set it off a treat

4. sworrall

sworrall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    yes, got some of the ikea ones to attach to the back of the TV

5. sworrall

sworrall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Detail of the wall bracket below. I bought one of the ones from Amazon that are recommended on here and its been fixed with the anchor bolts and frame fixings plus the coach bolts that came with it. A bit of paranoid overengineering but it wont move much! The vertical wood in the middle is 47mm * 75mm. It s abit wider than the 50mm as this is going to be the joint between the two panels of MDF.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. jolly

jolly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    What about around the edge of the floating wall, look really good there

7. sworrall

sworrall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    i went for the cheaper option of a rope light. just uploading the pics from the camera now so more to come

8. sworrall

sworrall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Some pics of the Rope light from TLC-Direct going in. I had already fitted sockets and cat5 the last time we decorated so the wall had to work around this as seen in the bottom right hand corner.

[​IMG]

Rope light at the corner

[​IMG]

Close up of the Clips holding the rope to the batons. Theyre definately worth buying as it keeps the rope straight. They recommend 1 every 20cm and at 11p they arent too dear to do this.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

9. jolly

jolly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    Looking good

:thumbsup:

10. tojo

tojo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I'm liking your attention to detail about screws and fixings. Looking good - keep going! :thumbsup:

11. dave_parki_uk

dave_parki_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +751
    Looks great so far, how many frame fixings have you used per edge piece of wood?

Also what screws you got for attaching the mdf to the frame? Are you using 18mm mdf?

What are the actual dimensions of the frame?

12. sworrall

sworrall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    about 5 or 6 in the 1.8m sections, less on the others

4 x 40mm into a countersunk hole in the mdf. the mdf i bought was 12mm as i didnt think i needed 18mm.

about 2.4m by 1.9m (minus the 4cm overhang on the mdf edges

13. sworrall

sworrall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Last of the pics to upload but I do need to take some daytime pics.

The MDF was bought from B&Q but I had to wait for my dad to return from holiday so we could use the back of his van to transport them. I got 2 * 2440 * 1220 * 12mm sheets and got them cut at B&Q to the 1.9m * 2.4m that I needed.

I then jigsawed the rounded edge onto the top and the curve ont the bottom for cable access which is covered by the Ikea units.

[​IMG]

The holes for the screws were all countersunk and drilled before fitting so they could go straight onto the wall. The task of filling, sanding then undercoating began (the sanding was a pain!)

[​IMG]

Luckily we still had some B&Q Soft Hazel paint left from when I painted the walls a few months back. This was applied to the primed mdf so it would blend in with the wall. Fitting the second unit was done and pics taken after all the equipment and wiring was fitted back in place.

Ikea LED lights are fitted to the back of the TV and all lights in the room are linked to X10 so can be controlled and dimmed (apart from LED) with the Pronto.

Heres the finished (and hoovered/cleaned) project (might have had the LED on white here)

[​IMG]

Uplighter dimmed (LED on blue)

[​IMG]

Straight on with lights off (dont worry, everything is level. theres some distortion from the 10mm lens)

[​IMG]

Uplight on a bit (sleepy lab in front of cabs!)

[​IMG]

The speakers are on stands at the side of the cabs and the centre speaker is on blue tack on top. Im hoping to upgrade the speakers in the future to something that would fit better (im open to suggestions on that one). We decided to leave the wheels on in the end so we could move them around easier if needed. There is enough MDF at the back if we ever decide to take them off.

Attached Files:

14. mark88

mark88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Just how many ethernet sockets do you have in the corner there? Looks like one huge 7 gang socket/

And are those rope lights classed as white or yellow?

About the screwfix, B&Q prices. It's amazing the difference in price for fixings. What's more amazing is the fact that they are both owned by the same parent company.

15. sworrall

sworrall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    on the top row:
    theres 6 cat5 on 3 * 1 gang doubles, 1 gang 4*banana sockets going to the loft for the multi room audio and a coax feed to the loft for TV

On the bottom row:
    3 * 2 gang sockets

Rope lights are white but the white balance in the camera makes them look yellow.

Didnt realise screwfix and B&Q were joined, i was amazed at the price difference!

16. scitex2000

scitex2000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great looking setup!! Just have to convince the better half to let me loose with the toolbox!

Just a quick question regarding your sofa. Is it Brown or Black and where did you get it from?

17. sworrall

sworrall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    thanks scitex, its a brown sofa and its from CSL. Have a search for Fiji here - http://www.csl-sofas.co.uk/corner-groups/

18. angelgrant

angelgrant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Swarrall i'm loving the look! so much so i'm about to start the prep work for my bedroom this week. I've been looking at a few floating wall's on avforums and i've finally been convinced by yours!

I've got a question if you don't mind though.

1. are those frame fixings and Shield Anchor Studs ok for fitting into Breezeblock?

19. sworrall

sworrall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    it should be ok as mine is breezeblock (the old heavy type). The only thing you have to watch is going through the holes int he blocks as sometimes the anchor bolts dont grab as well as they should

20. angelgrant

angelgrant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Awsome stuff, i suppose what the anchor bolts dont grip, the screws will though. Did you just use the anchor studs on the lcd bracket or did you put a few in on the timber as well mate?

21. sworrall

sworrall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    i used the anchors through the wood and into the wall. The wood was attached with frame fixers and i also then attached teh bracket to the wood with coah bolts

At the request of berkeley384 here is a view of the back of the TV where it mounts onto the bracket

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

22. jolly

jolly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    Can't see that going anywhere!

23. sdjpaterson

sdjpaterson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly, let me just say im loving the set up, it looks great. Like lots of people on here, its given me the motivation, idea to try and do something similar. I just wanted to ask a couple of questions which I couldnt really see when ive searched through numerous threads..

1) I want to do similar but on a plasterboard wall. I know the dangers of hanging an lcd on plasterboard, but will this way be ok since it is spreading the load more?

2) What sort of fixings do people advise for this. Obviously would need to attach the beams to the plasterboard, then mdf/plasterboard to the beams and also the bracket for the tv itself.

3) I like the light idea but just wondered if there were any rope lights with dimmers attached. Im rubbish at electrics and cant get access to fuses etc so they would have their own individual plug/switch etc...would ideally want to be dimmable though?

anyway, thanks inadvance for any help and congrats to everyone on their setups, its making me very jealous whilst bored at work..

24. groove

groove

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Sworral...stunning mate , absolutely stunning. Im really liking the rounded edges , and the double backlighting , how nice is it to sit down , kick it into relax , dim the lights and admire your work....I know i still do it every night !

I really should have taken some shares out on tlc rope lighting !

25. germalene

germalene
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry can you clarify the mdf size? My lounge height from floor to coving is only 225cm and I'm thinking the width I need is around 280cm so I was thinking I need something around 185 high by 140 wide which there isn't...the 244 by 122 wont be wide enough with just 2 panels.

:confused:

26. sworrall

sworrall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    i had to use two panels put up vertically. i cut each panel to 1.9m high by 1.2m wide and stuck them on the wall like this [][] then filled the joins

If youre going wider than me at 280cm then youll need to buy 3 panels and cut them to size, ie 3 panels * 185cm * 93.3cm wide. other than that you can look around to see if any wood suppliers do different sizes of mdf??

27. sworrall

sworrall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    thanks groove, nice to know it comes up to your standard :)

Youre rigth about the rope lighting, TLC should be sending you some free stuff with the amount of business youve put their way!

28. Marcos

Marcos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    i really like the end result here :D, i like the idea of the floating wall, will read groove's thread after this too

im still not sold on the ikea light strips behind the tv, but was the ropelight easy to work with?

29. sworrall

sworrall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    rope was fine to work with except i did find that warming it up before fitting helped to keep it straight as its not as bendy when cold.

The ikea lights do look different than the photo shows as there is some bleed from the camera on the long exposure. I do need to get hold of another set to add to the existing ones so it gives a more balanced output

30. Marcos

Marcos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    ive got an early idea in my head of using the ropelight to go all around the back of the plasma uniformly about 2 inches in from the edge, since i move house about once a year i need the lighting stuck to the TV not a wall, does that kinda make sense to you?

it would have to be dimmable though, is the rope light dimmable?