Question Swivel stand

readingfan

Established Member
Reaction score
I’m disappointed that most of not all new TV are now fixed leg design.
The smaller sets are no longer available with a swivel stand.
The number of homes with smaller screens that benefit from being able to rotate the screen to suit alternative viewing positions , like my current Samsung set , new longer have this option
I wonder if it is a ploy to get people to buy a sound bar , which fits easier in the newer models , but at the cost of the swivel stand.
One dealer told me it was a European directive and next year we won’t be able to buy any swivel stands!
Does anyone know the truth behind this.
Have the health and safety police removed our right to decide for ourselves again or is that just a bit of BS?

Sounds like BS from the dealer.

As for an actual reason; money. It’s probably cheaper to engineer/produce fixed stands.

Well there definitely are safety standards regarding the stability of large items of furniture like TVs.

They're unlikely to have banned swivelling stands, but it's possible a change made it more expensive to produce swivelling stands that complied with the standards.

Or it may just be that allocating the budget elsewhere sold more TVs.

Also bear in mind that small TVs have a shrinking market share and an expectation that they're cheaper than larger models.

Either way, every TV comes with standard mounting points these days so if you want a swivel stand just buy a third party one.

I was also under the impression that it's a safety thing,iirrc there have been a couple of tragedies involving children pulling TVs onto themselves when moving the sets.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom