1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

switching

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by tcgills, Jan 16, 2003.

Tags:
  1. tcgills

tcgills
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    if i want to replace my normal digi box with sky+ can i just switch without £10 sub with a view to pay sub later as i have tivo at the moment is it a straight swap i know cables are different needing 2 but all the time tivo is working i can use that,and do cables later, is it easy to do the lnb and cabling,when you buy sky+ from dixons does it come with quad lnb and dish?

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Yes a SKY+ can be swapped and operate from a single LNB input but the OS does not have the autoview feature and also has different remote control codes although TIVO does have the SKY+ set. The £10 a month subscription is only used to allow access to the recording features which will require a second independent LNB input.
    Never tried it myself but if you are careful it's more or less a straight replacement job, although you will need to make sure you have a Quad LNB that fits your minidish. The Philips Quad that originally came with SKY+ had three fittings which meant it could be used with any minidish.
    You also have to be aware that the Quad is heavier than a single LNB so could force the dish to "droop" slightly and lose signal and don't forget to secure the connection between the cable and LNB, water can get in otherwise.

The current supply of SKY+ to retailers do not come with a Quad LNB and does not include a dish. It seems that SKY now include the new LNB in the installation charge as opposed to the earlier packages which included the LNB within the SKY+ packaging.