1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Switching Video or Uplifting Video

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ani4ani, Apr 21, 2004.

1. ani4ani

ani4ani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Hi, these forums normally sort out my problems.

I think I have read somewhere that "newer" amps now can swicth and "upgrade" video, i.e. say take in a SVHS signal and output component.

The reason that I am asking is that I only want to have one cable to my projector, i.e. spend my money on one high-qaulity cable.

I have DVD, which is component, which should ideally go directly to the projector and miss out the amp altogether. I would perfer not to do this for the reason mentioned above.

So I have DVD, Component, Sky+ with SVHS and XBOX with SVHS.

Is there and an AMP or similar device which will switch all thes signals and output in component.

I suppose I should expect no image improvement with taking SVHS to Component, but will I get any loss?

Will I get any loss by switching the component?

thx

PS. I suppose a daft question, but do people sell multicore cables, i.e. SVHS & Component?

2. gmt steve

gmt steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yes you can do what you have in mind, that's the whole idea of video 'upconversion'.
    You are correct to assume that you'll get no improvement to composite or s-vid signal by upconversion and as long as the amp in question is of high quality and good cables are used you should get no noticable loss.
    Again as long as the amp's quality is up to it, you won't get much loss by routing component through the amp. Any slight detail loss would have to be considered against your alternative of multiple cables.
    Can I suggest that you get a JS Technologies RGB2component convertor for your SKY+. This will give a much better picture than s-vid and you could still route it through the amp.

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,465
    ani4ani

As ever the merits (or lack of) of video 'transcoding' by your AV Receiver will depend on your requirements and your kit list.

The marketers must have loved it when someone said were 'up-converting' video signals - sounds so good; they must be making it better then!!!

Done properly video 'up-conversion' should be pretty clean though where you have S-Video sources that are considered 'primary' sources (not just used for occasional viewing) you may want to consider that many display devices have pretty sophisticated S-Video signal processing on board (more sophisticated than what you will find in all but a very few AV Receivers).

If your S-Video sources are important I'd suggest you carry out a test or two and consider Direct vs. Converted before you assume letting the AV Receiver do its tricks (even if the AV Receiver has a wide band video path and clean switching you have to look at how it actually processes the incoming video signals).

As Steve says you may instead want to consider one (or two) JS Technology RGB2YUV converters between your RGB sources (SKY and X-Box) and the YUV inputs on the AV Receiver as being a much better option than handing the AV Receiver the lower spec S-Video signal to transcode.

Best regards

Joe

4. ani4ani

ani4ani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Thanks for the feedback.

My priority in this matter is in the following sequence,

achieve best quality component output to projector for DVD, asume direct & miss out amp.

Get remaining signal, i.e. Sky+ & XBox to projector using same cable [Component] if possible.

Quality for the latter is not essential, i.e. XBOX [who cares, projecting for size and nothing more]. Sky+ only for major sports, i.e. premiership. [never movies]

I am not after improving quality in latter, just getting it there in one cable.

I have quite away to go to the projector [10m+] and would rather get one good quality cable for my priority, which is DVD movies.

I was in 7oaks this weekend and the showed me [although I was hardly listening] a Denon AVR??? which outputted all signals as component. Cannot for the life of me find out which model!

Push comes to shove, I will send SVHS to projector as well, but would rather not.

thx

5. darrylp

darrylp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm upconverting two digital SD STBs, three PVRs, and a cable box.

The difference is vast and obviously depends on the quality of input signals and of the components in the system.

Darryl

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,465
    ani4ani

RGB sources:
    As you say you can stick to S-Video and save the price of an RGB2YUV converter plus cables.

AV Receiver:
    I'll guess you were looking at the NEW AVR-3805 which offers 'up-conversion' to YUV plus the all important Digital Audio delay, Auto Set up routine and has its set-up menus on the YUV output.

Long cable:
    I'd suggest/supply VanDamme, Supra or BetterCables and as per another thread I'd be tempted to go with a 5 core RGBHV cable (even if you only use three cores for now) as you may want RGBHV if you ever decided to add in an external scaler.

Also with a five core cable you can send YUV + S-Video (using simple adapters).

Best regards

Joe

7. Craig Sowerby

Craig Sowerby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi,

Probably a AVR3805 they were showing you.

8. darrylp

darrylp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or a AVC-A1SR (5803) or a AVC-A1SRA (5803A) which is what I'm using.

Darryl

9. jhjerpe

jhjerpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Also you can get Component video cables for the XBOX, no need for a convertor. You have to import these from the US or ASIA but they work on the UK Xbox.

10. Craig Sowerby

Craig Sowerby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi,

IXOS make a component video cable for the Xbox 2m long but the only drawback is that it does'nt have a digital audio connection, just LR audio, you can pick these up from any IXOS dealer.