Switching via AV Receiver Remote

Harry Flatters

Standard Member
I have just bought Sony Bravia TV, Blu-ray, DVD-HD Recorder, AV Receiver and also have Sky+HD.

All units are hooked up via HDMI and all seem to work extremely well (I love the TV - KDL46W5500) but I have a question about 'switching'. On the AV remote there are predefined buttons for switching from one source to another. So for example, if I hit 'BD' the TV displays the BD video and the AV plays the BD audio. This works the same for DVD and Sky.

The problem I have is that when I hit the 'TV' button on the AV remote. The AV receiver switches to the TV audio (no sound is played) but the TV remains on its HDMI input showing whichever video source was last selected, ie Sky, DVD or BD. Once I manually select either the analogue or digital tuner on the TV remote the TV then displays that tuner and the audio is fed through the AV system OK.

I guess my question is, when the AV remote 'TV' button is pressed, is it reasonable to expect the HDMI feed to the TV to instruct the TV to switch it's source from HDMI to its internal tuner?

I hope all that made some sense....help:lease:

Jamie

Distinguished Member
Presumably the TV has one HDMI connected to your amp with the kit all connected to the amp.

I wouldn't expect the TV to switch back to tuner in this scenario (it may/should switch the other way round though if the HDMI control/Bravia Sync is enabled, i.e. switch to HDMI if you select DVD/BD etc))

It may work the other way round though, if you switch the TV to tuner then the amp may switch to the TV input if setup properly.

Personally I use a Pronto remote (replace with Harmony as appropriate) and let that take care of any input switching.

Harry Flatters

Standard Member
Presumably the TV has one HDMI connected to your amp with the kit all connected to the amp.

I wouldn't expect the TV to switch back to tuner in this scenario (it may/should switch the other way round though if the HDMI control/Bravia Sync is enabled, i.e. switch to HDMI if you select DVD/BD etc))

It may work the other way round though, if you switch the TV to tuner then the amp may switch to the TV input if setup properly.

Personally I use a Pronto remote (replace with Harmony as appropriate) and let that take care of any input switching.

Jamie, thanks for that. Pretty much what I expected, it's just a shame that last switch isn't automatic.

Re the Pronto, with my previous Sony setup I used a Sony Commander AV3100T touch screen remote. Frankly, although it combined several remotes into one, it was nightmarishly complicated to use and trying to get the wife to understand it was just:eek:. What is the Pronto like in this respect?

Jamie

Distinguished Member
The Pronto can be whatever you want it to be. Starts off nightmarishly complicated to program, gets easier/easy as you get used to it. Actually using the remote can be as easy/complicated as you make it. My layout is designed to be both complicated but dead easy to pick up and use. Its essentially a blank canvas when you start programming it. My layout has many hours of tweaking and changing and its at a stage where even my mum was able to use it when she babysits and she struggles with her TV and Virgin cable remotes!

TBH a Harmony is probably more appropriate to most people. These really are a different kettle of slimey sea creatures to your old Sony and well recommended. For example press "watch DVD" on the Harmony and it will do everything needed input and power wise, even opening the DVD drawer if you wish. You then get taken to a screen that has just the commands you need for that activity.

Personally I wouldn't recommend a Pronto to anybody unless they either had it programmed by a pro or were prepared to put in the effort learning how the programming works and the time to get it right (I'm still fiddling and refining my layout and I've had mine for at least a couple of years)

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom