Quantcast

Switching TV off at the wall - damaging?

boybeck

Standard Member
I've just got one of those energy saving plug sockets which is controlled by a remote.

Will I damage my Pioneer PDP508XD Plasma by turning it off and on by only using the wall switch?

dwhite

Moved as question could apply to lots of TV's not just Pioneer, maybe get more responses here.

WGLOVER

I can't see this being a problem.
Turning it off with the TV switch interupts the supply just the same.

Julie

Novice Member
I can't see this being a problem.
Turning it off with the TV switch interupts the supply just the same.
Absolutely, no problem whatsoever.

I have a Belkin 8 socket surge protector, 6 of the sockets are controlled by the wireless remote switch, the other 2 sockets being "always on". Probably the same unit as what the OP has.

My plasma TV, bluray player, media player, XBox, AV amp & LED strip backlighting all swiitch on & off with the remote. And my PVR & my broadband router plugged into the "always on" sockets.

Works a treat. :smashin: Probably saving myself a fair bit on electricity as well as I would always leave the XBox power block on all of the time & the other equipment left on stand-by.

Chronoptimist

Novice Member
You have to wonder how much power these remote switches draw. Any recent television/AV gear will be well under 1W on standby. A 508XD is 0.4W power draw, under 3000W of power in a year or less than 10 hours of normal use because it can draw almost 400W when running. Modern sets are typically 0.2W or less on standby.

I am all for saving energy but sometimes these things go too far. I would be more concerned about the amount of power the thing sucks when its running than when it is off.

A 508XD can draw almost 400W, a 50" LED set will be under 100W at a similar brightness. You could save that 3000W in about a week of use if you watch 4 hours a day with an LED set instead.

Not sure how it affects the reliability of the set. Most new TVs will have a relay that clicks a minute or two after going into standby. I guess this doesnt happen if you simply cut the power. I dont know if that has any bearing on the reliability of the set.

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
In case anyone is wondering it appears to be Chronoptimists role in life to re-educate all Plasma users to convert to LED or LCD backlit TV's (Just check any of his posts) ;)
This is of course despite the fact that LED/LCD is inferior in many ways to plasma :rolleyes:but at least it keeps him happy :D

In answer to the OP question though it will not cause any damage to the set whatsoever.

Chronoptimist

Novice Member
If you are looking to save energy, as the topic creator clearly is, switching to an LED set will have a significant reduction of your power consumption, especially when switching from an older, less efficient plasma.

Simply cutting the standby power consumption hardly makes any difference.

hopeless

I was told by my friend it's best to leave equipment in standby, as switching on and off at the mains could over the long term damage my stuff.

He used a light bulb as an example. It's more likely to blow when you switch it on, because it quickly goes from cold to hot.

I don't know how true this is for TV's etc, but it made sense to me and I leave my gear in standby.

WGLOVER

I was told by my friend it's best to leave equipment in standby, as switching on and off at the mains could over the long term damage my stuff.

He used a light bulb as an example. It's more likely to blow when you switch it on, because it quickly goes from cold to hot.

I don't know how true this is for TV's etc, but it made sense to me and I leave my gear in standby.
Incandescent bulbs are different beast. When switched on they have very low resistance, which means a very high current for an instance in time (cold start)
Switching a TV off with its own power switch is the same as switching off at the wall socket.
I have always switched the TV off. Never a problem.

paulr2006

Distinguished Member

On older Electrical circuits this was often regarded as the thing to do as it allegedly put less stress on components, however with today's modern TV's the standby current is so low it's simply not the case. I recently had an issue with my VT20 where it just kept cycling on/off after turning on, the Engineer highly recommended turning off at the switch rather than standby as it tends to flush (clear) the memory of corruptions such as the one which caused my issue. :)

The above must depend upon the set though, apparently on the LG590 the settings are lost if the TV is turned off rather than standby.

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
In case anyone is wondering it appears to be Chronoptimists role in life to re-educate all Plasma users to convert to LED or LCD backlit TV's (Just check any of his posts) ;)
This is of course despite the fact that LED/LCD is inferior in many ways to plasma :rolleyes:but at least it keeps him happy :D

In answer to the OP question though it will not cause any damage to the set whatsoever.
:D Paul you should realise that watching the actual TV isnt very important. What is important is saving electricity. In fact I dont know why Chronoptimist has a TV - surely the best way to save electricity is to not have a TV at all ;)

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
:D Paul you should realise that watching the actual TV isnt very important. What is important is saving electricity. In fact I dont know why Chronoptimist has a TV - surely the best way to save electricity is to not have a TV at all ;)
Very good point :D:)

Chronoptimist

Novice Member
which 50" LED backlit set uses 100w?
HDTV test have not reviewed larger LCD panels for a while now but they have a 46" Samsung at 82W calibrated.

The difference in maximum power consumption between the 46" and 55" listed on Samsungs site is 25% which puts ther 55" at 102W calibrated.

Sure not having a TV or choosing a smaller TV would save you more electricity. The topic here was asking about whether or not cutting the power at the mains for "eco" reasons was damaging to the screen.

If you are concerned about saving energy, like the original poster seems to be, switching to an LED set using almost 300W less power is significantly more effective than cutting out 0.4W by switching the set off at the mains instead of standby. I assume he still wants to watch television.

Insanity202

Distinguished Member
I agree that the OP looks as if he wants to save money but he asked if switching his Pio at the wall switch would harm it. Not an education on LED tvs or a plasma Vs LED argument about power consumption.:rolleyes:

I'm sure if he wanted to know about LED power consumption he would post questions in the LCD/LED section. Also it looks as if his original post was first posted in the Pio section of the forums but got moved here due to the high amount of plasma owners and Pio owners who post here.

Rant over.

panman40

Distinguished Member
On older Electrical circuits this was often regarded as the thing to do as it allegedly put less stress on components, however with today's modern TV's the standby current is so low it's simply not the case. I recently had an issue with my VT20 where it just kept cycling on/off after turning on, the Engineer highly recommended turning off at the switch rather than standby as it tends to flush (clear) the memory of corruptions such as the one which caused my issue. :)

The above must depend upon the set though, apparently on the LG590 the settings are lost if the TV is turned off rather than standby.
Hi Paul,

Just thought i would add that i have been switching off my 590 at the mains for a week now and not once has it lost any of the settings :clap:, not sure why it did to start with tho :confused::laugh:

Cheers :)

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
Hi Paul,

Just thought i would add that i have been switching off my 590 at the mains for a week now and not once has it lost any of the settings :clap:, not sure why it did to start with tho :confused::laugh:

Cheers :)
Perhaps took a while to charge up non-volatile memory assuming that's what they use but I have no idea why :)

Inferno

Distinguished Member
I agree that the OP looks as if he wants to save money but he asked if switching his Pio at the wall switch would harm it. Not an education on LED tvs or a plasma Vs LED argument about power consumption.:rolleyes:

I'm sure if he wanted to know about LED power consumption he would post questions in the LCD/LED section. Also it looks as if his original post was first posted in the Pio section of the forums but got moved here due to the high amount of plasma owners and Pio owners who post here.

Rant over.
I like it mate, but then again berating our favorite little songbird is not allowed by some and i expect you to be reprimanded by someone soon :rotfl: :rotfl:

Planet__

Novice Member
One thing to consider is if you have a univeral remote control that uses activities. Things may get out of sequence because your remote thinks the tv is still switched on. This could be countered with programming the power extension into the remote or removing the "tv off" from the sequence.

I personaly prefer turning my plasma off at the wall AFTER it's been set to standby. I'm sure the Pioneer plasma has an internal shutdown sequence that should not be interrupted and I abide by that.

Also, depending on the ampage of other sources that are on the switch, constantly switching say, 500W at the socket may cause arcing over time on the cheapest of switches and deteriorate it further.

panman40

Distinguished Member
Perhaps took a while to charge up non-volatile memory assuming that's what they use but I have no idea why :)
Very odd that Paul but not happened since :clap::laugh:.

Chronoptimist

Novice Member
I personaly prefer turning my plasma off at the wall AFTER it's been set to standby. I'm sure the Pioneer plasma has an internal shutdown sequence that should not be interrupted and I abide by that.
Now that you mention it I seem to recall Pioneer specifically stating in the manual that the set should be left in standby (not just put into standby first) rather than turning it off at the wall.

Inferno

Distinguished Member
Now that you mention it I seem to recall Pioneer specifically stating in the manual that the set should be left in standby (not just put into standby first) rather than turning it off at the wall.
Gee whizz chronic you have got something correct :eek:

From the Pioneer krp manual : > • After using the flat screen TV, always switch the display to “STANDBY” mode.

Mine never ever gets switched off completely and thats been 15 months now!

But switching it off wont bother the set too much just adds a little extra strain on electrical components.