1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Switching to unsubsidised Sky+ from regular Sky box.

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by gavan, Jun 9, 2005.

1. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    Hi,

I'm about to switch over to a Sky+ box from my regular old digibox. I'm living in Europe so I'll be getting an unsubsidised box and hooking it up myself.

I'm planning to make the switch when I next go back home - will have the box delivered to parents house and use their satellite/phone connection to do the setup. Then take it back with me.

However, I've got a couple of questions:

* Do I need a new viewing card or can I simply call Sky and get my existing sub authorised for Sky+? I already have the 'full' package of movies and sport so the Sky+ functionality will be 'free'. I assume that by default it's not enabled on my account though.

* Do I need both LNBs connected to do the initial marrying of the box? I know that I need 2 LNBs for the 'record one channel, watch another" function but my parents only have a standard sky box. I'm hoping that a single input would be allow the box to function, albeit without full functionality.

* Regarding the marrying of the box to the card: Is it simply a matter of going into the 'secret' install menu like on the normal box or is it a bit more arcane (or requires a call to Sky)

* Like the normal box, a permanent telephone connection isn't required, right?

Cheers,

Gav

2. uk_jih

uk_jih

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    In answer to your questions.

1. No - just call sky from a UK number and tell them you have a new sky+ box.

2. No - but record will not work until you have a double connection.

3. When you do 1 they will ask for the new serial number of the box, the authorisation will come from the satellite.

If they mention the phone connection, say that you only have a mobile or say that the box is too far from a phone line to connect it.

Regards

3. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    Fantastic - that's exactly the info I needed to know. Looks like it should be relatively simple.

Cheers,

Gav