Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Switching to unsubsidised Sky+ from regular Sky box.

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by gavan, Jun 9, 2005.

1. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    Hi,

I'm about to switch over to a Sky+ box from my regular old digibox. I'm living in Europe so I'll be getting an unsubsidised box and hooking it up myself.

I'm planning to make the switch when I next go back home - will have the box delivered to parents house and use their satellite/phone connection to do the setup. Then take it back with me.

However, I've got a couple of questions:

* Do I need a new viewing card or can I simply call Sky and get my existing sub authorised for Sky+? I already have the 'full' package of movies and sport so the Sky+ functionality will be 'free'. I assume that by default it's not enabled on my account though.

* Do I need both LNBs connected to do the initial marrying of the box? I know that I need 2 LNBs for the 'record one channel, watch another" function but my parents only have a standard sky box. I'm hoping that a single input would be allow the box to function, albeit without full functionality.

* Regarding the marrying of the box to the card: Is it simply a matter of going into the 'secret' install menu like on the normal box or is it a bit more arcane (or requires a call to Sky)

* Like the normal box, a permanent telephone connection isn't required, right?

Cheers,

Gav

2. uk_jih

uk_jih

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    In answer to your questions.

1. No - just call sky from a UK number and tell them you have a new sky+ box.

2. No - but record will not work until you have a double connection.

3. When you do 1 they will ask for the new serial number of the box, the authorisation will come from the satellite.

If they mention the phone connection, say that you only have a mobile or say that the box is too far from a phone line to connect it.

Regards

3. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    Fantastic - that's exactly the info I needed to know. Looks like it should be relatively simple.

Cheers,

Gav