switching to mobile broadband - what hardware do I need

[email protected]

Standard Member
Hi all

I am in the process of moving to a new build house and it currently has no connection to fibre optic broadband and all estimates I am getting from sky / bt / virgin about adsl will give me a connection up upto 1mb which clearly isn't an acceptable option.

I am curently with virgin and have the following setup

virgin modem wired to edimax br-6574n router, this is then wired to a desktop PC and qnap NAS drive. The NAS drive and internet is accessable via tablets / phones and laptops through the WIFI router simples :)

now due to the unacceptable 1mb connection available to me through the usual suspects I am going to have to go to a mobile broadband, probably 3 as the tests i've done at the new property is seeing 5-7mb download speeds.

can anyone help out and let me know what hardware I will need to do this so I can keep the setup as similar as possible to what I currently have? I am not sure if this is even possible being a bit of a technophobe :laugh: but hopefully someone out there will know.

TIA

paul

jaipal2004

It's possible with a router that can utilise the SIM card in a dongle. Am mobile so can't search at moment but pretty sure tp-link do a few. This would replace your virgin router/modem.

Hth

cjed

There are a number of WiFi routers around that accept a 3/4G USB dongle, for example, this TP-Link one. You'll need to check that the specific USB dongle you have is supported, but Amazon reviews indicate that 3, T-Mobile and O2 networks are supported.

It's got the usual 4 port Ethernet switch to allow wired as well as wireless connections.

razy60

Looking at that it would work for tablets and phones but don't see how I could connect it to my pc and NAS drive. I may be reading it worng so please let me know if I am :D

Yep, it is essentially a mobile phone but preconfigured as a hotspot, just switch it on and go :smashin:

Of course you would need wifi receivers in all your devices

robel

i have a 3g usb dongle here in Spain and use a TP-Link MR3020. All of my devices communicate happily with the router and all for 40 notes....

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom