Switching to BT from VM

TellyTel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi

Currently have VM package with vivid350 broadband, fastest speed I can get with BT is fibre100 I believe.

Bit of a drop but I'm more interested in reliability of the internet, something VM seems to be getting worse at.

Can anyone tell me what router I get with fibre 100, is it the smart hub 2 ?

Also I live in a semi detached house, would the complete wifi be a bit overkill, also can it be something that I can upgrade to or purchase myself if I feel I need better wifi coverage with them add-on discs.

One last question can BT hubs be put into modem mode so I can add my own router if need be, hoping I don't have to do this, its something I do now with the vm superhub but I would like to do away with my own router if the BT smart hub 2 is decent.

Thanks

Yep BT usually supply Smart Hub 2 with their FTTP or G.fast services. Complete Wifi might be overkill if your home isn't huge and/or doesn't have thick walls. Try the BT Hub router first to see how you get one, if no luck then try the excellent Netgear RAX120 or if you want something a bit cheaper, the Asus RT-AC86U. Only go for a wifi mesh system/additional APs if a single router doesn't cut it.

Hi

Currently have VM package with vivid350 broadband, fastest speed I can get with BT is fibre100 I believe.

Bit of a drop but I'm more interested in reliability of the internet, something VM seems to be getting worse at.

Can anyone tell me what router I get with fibre 100, is it the smart hub 2 ?

Also I live in a semi detached house, would the complete wifi be a bit overkill, also can it be something that I can upgrade to or purchase myself if I feel I need better wifi coverage with them add-on discs.

One last question can BT hubs be put into modem mode so I can add my own router if need be, hoping I don't have to do this, its something I do now with the vm superhub but I would like to do away with my own router if the BT smart hub 2 is decent.

Thanks
Reliable of BT is dependant on the Openreach infrastructure in your area. I was with Plusnet and had adsl2 which worked fine but obviously speed was slow. When they finally made FTTC available in November 18, I had it installed. After numerous visits from Openreach I was still getting disconnections and drop outs. Speed was supposed be between 50 and 75 and most times I did get that without any issues.

Last year moved to VM and get over 200mbps on the machine connect to the router. Apart from the issue we had in Thursday it has been fine.

So all depends you may get a good service from BT but if the cabling at the box in the street is not good you will have issues.

Yep BT usually supply Smart Hub 2 with their FTTP or G.fast services. Complete Wifi might be overkill if your home isn't huge and/or doesn't have thick walls. Try the BT Hub router first to see how you get one, if no luck then try the excellent Netgear RAX120 or if you want something a bit cheaper, the Asus RT-AC86U. Only go for a wifi mesh system/additional APs if a single router doesn't cut it.

I have the asus ac86u already with the vm superhub in modem mode, the fastest speed available in my area with BT is fibre 100.

Does that suggest BT is not very popular in my area and I may not get a reliable service?

If BT can't offer you anything above 'Fibre 100' then that suggests you will be getting g.fast rather than FTTP. In which case, an engineer will come and install the gfast modem in your property which you then hook up the bt router or your own router to the g.fast modem. Assuming your wiring is in good condition, you won't have any issues with BT's g.fast service - its normally rock solid.

If BT can't offer you anything above 'Fibre 100' then that suggests you will be getting g.fast rather than FTTP. In which case, an engineer will come and install the gfast modem in your property which you then hook up the bt router or your own router to the g.fast modem. Assuming your wiring is in good condition, you won't have any issues with BT's g.fast service - its normally rock solid.

So It will involve a separate modem and the BT smart hub 2.

So It will involve a separate modem and the BT smart hub 2.
Almost guaranteed but I believe BT also supply a combined g.fast modem/router so there's a small possibility you might get this instead, not sure if that is the smart hub 2 or something else. But g.fast installs require an Openreach Engineer visit so you can request the Engineer to install an external modem if you plan on using your own router (they usually have spares in the van) if BT send you a combined g.fast modem/router in the post.

Btw can you confirm that you are definitely able to get g.fast? You can check here (use the address option if no BT line at your property)

Almost guaranteed but I believe BT also supply a combined g.fast modem/router so there's a small possibility you might get this instead, not sure if that is the smart hub 2 or something else. But g.fast installs require an Openreach Engineer visit so you can request the Engineer to install an external modem if you plan on using your own router (they usually have spares in the van) if BT send you a combined g.fast modem/router in the post.

Btw can you confirm that you are definitely able to get g.fast? You can check here (use the address option if no BT line at your property)

I think the smart hub 2 has a modem built in so I guess it would just be the 1 unit, really don't want an extra device if possible.

Was looking at SKY as well but I think you still need a dish with them.

Main thing I want is a reliable service.

My phone number doesn't work in the checker, likely because it isn't a BT line, been with VM for ages.

So I presume I would need a BT line installed.

I tried another house number in my street and this is the results, FTTP is not available, unsure what it all means.

Screenshot 2020-06-28 at 13.01.45.png

Last edited:
cant you do a check using your address in the BT/Openreach DSL checker? That should give you a better idea of what speeds to expect.

cant you do a check using your address in the BT/Openreach DSL checker? That should give you a better idea of what speeds to expect.

My phone or house number doesn't register on BT systems, Its likely because we have been with VM/ntl/telewest for well over 20years.

Bt said that speeds are specific to a house and not the street, so I would need to phone them, I thought speeds would be the same based on an area or street?

No, speeds are based on the actual property because with FTTC/G.fast/ADSL, the further you are away from Openreach infrastructure, the slower the speed.

Re: BT checker, is your property on the Royal Mail database? If so, then the BT checker should recognize your property address (if choosing the address option) even if you've never had a landline from BT before.

What happens if you go here

BT Broadband

and then click the 'address' tab and then enter your postcode & click 'submit'? Is your property not displayed in the drop down list? Really bizarre if thats the case as nearly every property on the land is recognized by the BT checker by postcode/address at least.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom