Switching to Broadband only - new customer or switch?

Discussion in 'Virgin Media Broadband' started by fabhead, Aug 2, 2017.

1. fabhead

fabhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm getting rid of Virgin Media TV, Phone and BB package now I'm out of contract. Am currently on Vivid 200. Am I likely to get the best deal by phoning up as an existing customer and asking to switch (to one of the unlimited packages i.e Vivid 200 Gamer or Vivid 300 I believe?) or by cancelling and sigining up as a new customer in my partner's name at same address (dfferent surname?). What's the best way to get the best deal?

Also, we currently have a SH2 which works well for broadband (wired to PS4, loads of wireless devices). (Unlike the old TiVo which is woeful). I'm assuming they'll supply a SH3 but I've seen on here it has some issues so I am planning to hang onto the SH2 and see which works best. Is there any issue with this? (I have the old SH in the garage which I could give back to them). Can I request self-install as the new customer?

2. fabhead

fabhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ok so I've been reading up and I clearly dont want a superhub 3.0. Has anyone managed to switch to BB only as an existing customer and keep their superhub 2?

3. Inferno

Inferno
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,099
    Yes I did and I kept my SH2 and all I get now is 100MB unlimited for just shy of £20, I have no idea how I get it for that but that is all I pay and have done for 6+ months now and my next bill is showing at the same price, I will not be arguing :).

4. Lancia34

Lancia34
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,297
    Got rid of the TV last year for Sky but kept my 200mb and SH2.
    Paying £45 atm as no offer available but will try when it ends in October.

My service has been flakey last few weeks but then comes back rock solid for a week. Was looking at alternatives but don't really want to lose the speed.
    Might drop to 100mb to save some cash though.

5. Inferno

Inferno
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,099
    I have had one maybe two problems in approx 8 years with VM and they were not at this address I am at now and have been for 6+ years, I am over 100MB each and every time I check, yes the upload sucks but I hardly ever upload anything anyway so it's no problem, the service is simply awesome for me.

6. Ned Senior

Ned Senior

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,170
    I was paying £17 just for broadband, that is until I very sadly had to leave virgin due to moving house to a non virgin area!!!
    Had been a customer since blueyonder dial up days too