1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Switching sky boxes

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by popeckia, Jul 9, 2002.

1. popeckia

popeckia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Should be a very simple question. If I have a friend with a grundig sky box that has svid out (that they don't use) - can I just swap it with my own pace box, switch the cards over and both carry on as normal?

... or is it the case that the card is somehow matched to a particular box?

...and finally... even if it is technically possible, does it create any issues with sky at a later point?

2. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The card is married to the box. What you can do is contact sky and say you have had to replace your digibox because it died. Say you bought one secondhand and ask them to marry your card to the new box.

Your mate would have to do the same of course!

If you both have the same subscription you could just swap the boxes with the cards. You may get a problem if you watch PPV movies though!

DaveP

3. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    Before you go ahead with such a swap, please check that the s-video output actually works. At one time the internal firmware wasn't enabling s-video out even though the physical socket was there (the tech reason was that the relevant registers, addressed via the internal I2C bus weren't being set up to enable the PAL encoder to switch to s-video mode).
    Take an s-video lead & s-video input device (e.g. your TV) to your neighbour & confirm that it actually works.

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

4. popeckia

popeckia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks very much to you both, I'll take the lead round there and check it out