1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Switching receiver choice

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by mevetts, Aug 20, 2004.

1. mevetts

mevetts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I posted a thread in the 'General Hardware' forum suggesting my planned set-up and whether or not it would suffice. The link is here if anyone is interested -

What do you think?

However, after a number of positive comments I thought I was finally there with my choices.....oh no, not yet! :suicide:

After closer inspection of the specs for the Onkyo TX-SR500E receiver it suggestes not to use speakers below 6 ohms for the centre and rears. According to Trina Koppang of Canton Electronics Corporation, the Canton CD1s have a nominal impedance of 4 ohms. Therefore I feel they should not be paired with the Onkyo receiver, although I am waiting for confirmation from Canton on this point.

This now leaves me in the situation of choosing an alternative receiver and my eyes are drawn to the Yamaha RX-V650. It is a little more than the Onkyo, but as I am now spreading my purchases over a few months I can probably stretch the budget. I have contacted Yamaha and they have confirmed that the RX-V650 would have no trouble driving the CD1s, good news! :thumbsup:

Does anyone have any suggestions about the RX-V650, good or bad?

I think it should fit the bill nicely and Yam receivers seem to get a lot of praise.

Cheers,

Mark.

2. mevetts

mevetts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

As an additional question does anyone know if it would be possible to temporarily use the existing speakers from my hi-fi for both the hi-fi and home cinema. What I mean is if we wanted to listen toa CD or MD we could use the hi-fi as normal, but if playing a DVD we could use the same speakers as the front L+R speakers without changing any wires around?

Any help would be great.

Mark.