1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Switching primary monitor help please

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by zAndy1, Aug 31, 2004.

1. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,737
    hi,
    Can somebody please explain exactly what I need to do to switch primary monitors using a Radeon 9600 graphics card with a DVI cable going to a projector (1280x720) and a VGA cable to a panny plasma (1024 x 768)? I'm not bothered about using both displays at the same time, as long as I can get 1280x720 on my projector when I want to use that and 1024x768 to my plasma at other times I'll be happy!

Cheers,
    Andy.

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,019
    I take it you can't use different resolutions successfully then? I use the same res on both with no problems, but I think it's very tricky to get different ones on two different displays. Not sure if anyone here has done it OK, so you may have to try avs for a solution.

Gary.

3. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,737
    ok, thanks anyway. It's a pain this as if I can't do it I'll go with a Qualitv STB for Euro1080 as I want to feed my plasma and projector the output.

Cheers
    Andy

4. paul1672

paul1672

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    i'm sure i mentioned this before.
    try a program called ultramon.
    i too had this problem untill i found the above program.
    i was then able to run both my lcd tv at 1024x768 resolution and my hs10 pj at its native resolution of 1366x768 both at the same time.
    i then just dragged the start bar to monitor 2 (lcd tv) as monitor one always has to be the pj.the start bar will always load up on monitor two after that.
    i then created hotkey shortcuts to switch programs between monitors or you can also setup ultramon to load programs you want to start up in monitor 2 evrytime.
    keep at it as it is definately worth it
    only difference between your set-up and mine was that i have a lcd tv and u have a plasma,but i cant believe thats the reason.
    i'm also going to pm you a message i got from a guy on here.
    you could try to pm him for help.
    all the best,and i hope you get sorted.
    paul

5. paul1672

paul1672

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    once you have ultramon setup you should be able to switch between them both no probs,but i never really had to as it can run any application on either monitor (at least it did every one i tried).
    did you set up both display profiles by right clicking the ultramon sign and then selecting display profiles and then new display profile on the start bar?
    i'm sure you have,just checking.
    if so,did you set primary to monitor one,which i would suggest to make the pj.
    only thing i will suggest is can you tell me if you always keep the pj connected even when not switched on as i had a problem where it wouldn't work as my pj was not connected to the dvi lead at the time.
    give ultramon another go mate.
    you'll be greatly rewarded.
    i had a program called myhtpc running on my lcd tv which stored a list of all my movies on my h/drive and i could select the film,press play and hey presto it played on my pj screen.
    now that was cool and damn impressive.
    was also weird watching the mouse go from one screen to the other.
    if your gonna be online when trying it let me know and i'll try help you best i can.
    all the best
    paul

6. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,737
    Can I ask what graphics card you were (are) using? Definitely going to be easier discussing this on messenger or somewhere so look forward to speaking to you and hopefully getting this sorted. Only problem at the moment is I don't have a projector as I'm waiting for my new one!

Cheers,
    Andy.

7. paul1672

paul1672

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    i was using the radeon 9600 graphics card which i assume is exactly the same as yours.
    might be a problem if you haven't got a pj at the moment unless you have two monitors connected up.
    i've just got hold of my mates lead that allows me to connect my laptop up for dual displays and am about to give it a go.
    will let you know how i get on in a bit.
    i'm working tonight from 7pm so probably wont be able to help you out tonight i'm afraid.
    i can make it tomorrow until about 8pm if not anytime over the w/end is good for me.
    paul

8. Gillykid

Gillykid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently finished my setup, a 1280 x 720 Projector and 1024 x 768 LCD via a 9600SE. I found the best way was to use powerstrip to setup the two resolutions (then assign hotkeys to them), and use ATI's Control Panel setup to flip between the primary (then assigned hotkeys to them)

A simple VB program later which sends the hotkeys as I need them and the whole thing is controlled by just one button on my Remote - nice! :smoke:

Will be happy to send the program to anyone it may help....

9. paul1672

paul1672

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    good idea,but much better to use ultramon as it enables you to use both pj and lcd monitor at the same time on different refresh rates and resolutions.
    very handy when activating movie from hard drive through the myhtpc program showing up on lcd screen and then watching the movie start up on the projector screen.
    really strange watching mouse pointer flow from one screen to the next.
    can set-up hot keys with this program to get programs to run on either monitor also.
    one of the best programs i currently run i would say.
    very very impressive.