• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Switching off imessage before changing phone to Samsung Galaxy S4

wafers

Established Member
I need to switch off imessage on my iPhone 4 as I've upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy S4.
A bit of Internet research suggests turning off imessage on iPhone settings prior to removing the sim card and inserting it into the S4.
I've done this and it works. However, as I'm selling the iphone 4, I've since done a factory reset to remove all my data. Unsurprisingly it seems to have set imessage settings back to the default too, as I'm no longer receiving messages from other I phones when using my S4.
Any ideas?!

JayCee

Distinguished Member
I don't understand your problem...if an iPhone sends an imessage to a mobile number which is not in an iPhone that imessage defaults to a text message.

localboy27

Prominent Member
May take a few days for iMessage to deactivate on apples side

Are you getting messages from people not using iPhones ok?

Blujelly

Novice Member
If you have reset your iPhone and deactivated your iCloud from that iPhone then no iMessage's or anything will appear it would be as if someone handed you a brand new iPhone out of the box.

As for your Samsung not receiving messages that will have nothing to do with your iPhone you'll need to contact your provider to make sure the SIM is active and working.

localboy27

Prominent Member
As for your Samsung not receiving messages that will have nothing to do with your iPhone you'll need to contact your provider to make sure the SIM is active and working.

The carrier won't be any help as its nothing to do with them.

It's only iPhones that seems to be the problem so sounds like they still think you're on iMessage, try putting it in the iPhone turn off iMessage and send a few normal txts to the iPhone contacts

Blujelly

Novice Member
If the carrier thinks the SIM is for the iPhone then the will need to change the settings for the Samsung to work. It's worth a shot as at the moment no messages are coming through.

wafers

Established Member
Thanks for the advice. It's been a bit of a nightmare - basically I've not been receiving messages from people with iPhones. Other types of phone have been fine. In a moment of inspiration, I inserted my sim into my fiancees phone and switched off imessage. Since putting the sim back into my s4 it seems to have solved the problem. Here's hoping, anyway!

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom