Switching of TV>AVR sound to Virgin Box>AVR sound

Beemer3

Standard Member
My 4K tv has apps, e.g. Netflix. I also have Virgin TV360. The cable box is HDMI connected to an Anthem MRX520 AV amp and the TV is HDMI connected to the AV amp. When using Virgin I get video and sound without any problems.
However when I select an app on the TV the video plays but I get no app sound and I can still hear the sound of the selected Virgin channel.

mikej

You're getting sound from your Virgin box because it's connected directly to the AV amp and video is simply passed through to the TV but in order to get sound from the TV's own channels and apps to the amp, you'll need to make use of the HDMI Audio Return Channel.

Do both the TV and amp have HDMI-ARC and are you using the correct ports on each ? Usually only one HDMI port on a TV is ARC-enabled. Also make sure you have the relevant ARC settings enabled on each.

In the AV amp settings, you'll also have to configure one of the AV inputs to receive the TV's audio and select that when watching TV. If you're hearing sound from your Virgin box, it sounds like you either don't have this configured or you've got the wrong input/source selected on the amp. On my Yamaha AV amp, I've got TV audio mapped to one of the 'AV' channels and I've labelled it as 'TV' to make source selection easier.

If you can't make use of (or have trouble configuring) HDMI-ARC, then the TV's optical audio out is an alternative option. The drawback to this, though, is you can't use the TV remote to control the amp's volume like you can when using HDMI-ARC.

Last edited:

Beemer3

Standard Member
You're getting sound from your Virgin box because it's connected directly to the AV amp and video is simply passed through to the TV but in order to get sound from the TV's own channels and apps to the amp, you'll need to make use of the HDMI Audio Return Channel.

Do both the TV and amp have HDMI-ARC and are you using the correct ports on each ? Usually only one HDMI port on a TV is ARC-enabled. Also make sure you have the relevant ARC settings enabled on each.

In the AV amp settings, you'll also have to configure one of the AV inputs to receive the TV's audio and select that when watching TV. If you're hearing sound from your Virgin box, it sounds like you either don't have this configured or you've got the wrong input/source selected on the amp. On my Yamaha AV amp, I've got TV audio mapped to one of the 'AV' channels and I've labelled it as 'TV' to make source selection easier.

If you can't make use of (or have trouble configuring) HDMI-ARC, then the TV's optical audio out is an alternative option. The drawback to this, though, is you can't use the TV remote to control the amp's volume like you can when using HDMI-ARC.
Thanks for your reply. Yes eARC selected on both and the correct (and only) eARC ports selected. Yes made a new AVR input profile just for the TV return audio channel. Tried eARC and also TOSLINK return but neither work. Others have reported that this is a firmware problem with the Panasonic JZ TV series.

mikej

If eARC and the optical out didn't work on the JZ series due to a firmware problem, then that would be a major issue and I would have expected the owner's thread to be rammed-full of complaints ?

A few other basic things to check are that your HDMI cable supports eARC* and that you've got 'Home Cinema' selected in the TV's sound menu.

*From HDMI ARC and HDMI eARC: everything you need to know

"According to HDMI.org, if you currently use a standard HDMI cable with Ethernet, or a High-Speed HDMI cable with Ethernet, you should be fine. Ultra High-Speed HDMI cables with Ethernet will definitely work. Because of the extra bandwidth needed for some audio formats over eARC, it’s possible that very old cables could struggle. In January 2020 HDMI.org announced a mandatory certification programme that will ensure any cable labelled Ultra High Speed supports all HDMI 2.1 features including eARC."

Beemer3

Standard Member
My hdmi cable is an ultra htmi one capable of 48mbps and I am using Hom Cinema. There are indeed many posts about this problem in the Panasonic oled forums where I have also posted. I thought I woud post here as it has a wider audience.

mikej

OK, it sounds like you've got the basics covered and everything set up as it should be.

While I've been lucky enough to have no major problems with it, HDMI-ARC can be notoriously flaky, with many people struggling to get it to work reliably on TVs and AVRs from different manufacturers without any obvious reasons why not. I presume it's possible that eARC could be the same.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom