Switching multiple HDMI sources from another room.

psemaj

Novice Member
I would like to be able to send two HDMI signals from my living room to my bedroom and be able to switch between the two sources from the bedroom. Basically I have Sky in the living room and have an HDMI output from my home CCTV setup. I currently just have the CCTV running through an HDMI splitter to the living room and the bedroom so I can view the CCTV in either room. I would now also like to run the Sky output to the bedroom but be able to switch between the CCTV and Sky. Ideally I would like to use the existing CCTV HDMI lead that runs from downstairs to upstairs (10m cable). But maybe the best route would be an HDMI extender over ethernet. Any advice would be welcome.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Have you tested sending SKY over the 10m cable?

What is SKY connected to in the Living room?

Assuming SKY works over the long cable you could use a second 1x2 Splitter to split the SKY signal to the Living room and Bedroom then add a 2x1 HDMI Switch in the Living Room to allow you to toggle between SKY and the CCTV signal - how you control the switching is the next question.

Joe

psemaj

Novice Member
Hi, as yet I have not tried connecting the 10m lead to the Sky box, I suppose that should be my first port of call. Currently the Sky equipment is just connected to the adjacent TV via a short HDMI lead. I suppose really my main issue was how to switch signals remotely. After posting I did have the thought that I could perhaps leave the CCTV HDMI as is and use a HDMI extender for Sky to the bedroom with loop in/out to local the local tv. Presumably this would then allow me just to select the relevant HDMI via the tv controls? The only issue with that is that I would have to run a second cable but it is not a major issue.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
SKY would not 'integrate' with the TV remote - no matter where you place the SKY box, you will always need to provide IR control of the SKY box using the SKY remote or add in a programmable remote, such as a Harmony, which can control SKY form adjacent rooms using RF rather than IR (which is line of sight only).

If you were to use an HDMI over CAT Extender many of those systems will offer you an IR 'return' path between the 'extended' TV location and the SKY Box allowing you to use a SKY remote at the extended TV.

SKY+ HD and SKY Q need very different cabling and control options (plus Q offers you the mini box) so it is worth considering which option you will be using in the long term.

Test that 10m cable with your SKY box ASAP.

Joe

psemaj

Novice Member
Hi, thanks for your reply. I currently have a mini box for the bedroom but have recently discovered that if I take the Sky Q remote into the bedroom it still operates the Sky box in the living room, so remote control of the sky box isn't going to be an issue, I assume this to be a bluetooth remote rather than IR? it was this discovery that lead me down the path of potentially ditching the minibox to reduce my monthly subscription. I have not yet been able to test the long HDMI lead on the Sky box as it is concealed and have not yet had the time to re-route it for testing.