Switching from Virgin to Sky Fibre Unlimited.

logiclee

I've been a Virgin Fibre customer since before they were Virgin as I was on the original NTL Fibre.

Always been great up until around two years ago where we started to get over utilisation issues at peak time with speeds slowing.
This last year it's been dreadfull and I've been getting a full refund on my broadband. Two review dates have been and gone with no repairs done and the next "Review" date is not until next year.

At the weekend I was trying to stream Netflix and was getting buffering even though the 4k stream was being displayed in SD. A quick speed test revealed 1.14Mbps download.

It was the last straw so I've cancelled Virgin and ordered Sky Fibre Unlimited which according to Sky should give 36-40Mbps. So we will see.
I already have Sky Q TV so will get the Sky B Hub.

The big question is I have a large Home Network. NAS, CCTV, load of devices and a mixture of wired, homeplug and wireless.
I currently have the Virgin Router in Modem Mode and use a TP-Link Router and it's robust.

Should I use the SkyQ Hub as a Modem only and use my existing setup or just use the Sky Q Hub and get a network switch?

Lee

Stellavision

I have the Sky Q hub running along with two network switches. Everything wired is generally fine but I'm really not happy with the wifi performance. It's Ok when it works, but far too often I find myself in the house having to switch off the wifi on my phone and use 4G. My advice is to use the Sky hub as a modem only if you have a better wireless router to use. Baring in mind that the latter requires you having to exctract your username / password from the original sky router.

logiclee

Thanks,

Do you have any Mini boxes acting as repeaters?

Lee

Stellavision

Thanks,

Do you have any Mini boxes acting as repeaters?

Lee
Yes, we have a mini in the bedroom and one of our worst areas for getting a solid connection is in the upstairs bathroom.
I'm wondering if it's not efficiently switching between 2.4 and 5 gHz. I may separate them to see if it makes any difference.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom