Switching from Virgin to BT

Discussion in 'BT Broadband' started by sparkymark75, Aug 25, 2013.

1. sparkymark75

sparkymark75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +738
    I currently have Virgin Media cable broadband. BT Infinity is now available in my area so I am thinking about switching.

Reading the BT website, it appears that I place the order with them and they handle the rest. Do I need to contact Virgin to cancel my services or do BT do this for you?

Do they arrange the switch over so that you aren't offline too long?

2. Cliff

Cliff
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,939
    I recently switched from Virgin to Sky and I seem to remember Sky made most of the arrangements. I think there was a preprinted letter you send to Virgin. It wasn't difficult and the switchover was seamless.

But my experience with the BT lines has been dreadful and after about 4 months, I wish I could go back. Sky TV is fine but the SKy talk has never worked properly. We know most of the BT engineers now (first name terms) as they come round so often-but they can't fix it. The Sky talk people ask us, including my wife to take the plate off the master socket and test it!
    I refuse to play along with this script now as I know the fault is not in the house. Very annoyed as it went wrong again today. I can't call home, I just get a loud noise and no ringing tones.

If it was me I'd go back to Virgin in a flash but the wife likes some particular channels on Sky. :mad:

3. freddie5

freddie5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +273
    I am too contemplating the move from Virgin to BT and it would seem you place your order with BT and they handle the rest, although i've read somewhere on the BT site that you have to give your current broadband provider notice. Switching your broadband

I have a couple of questions myself, hope Sparkymark you dont mind me piggybacking them onto this.

I would also be interested to know if relocating your existing master socket can be carried out as part of the install??

My estimated maximum speed is 21.4 down / 5.6 up is this likely to be achieved, or in the real world can i expect more?

Thanks.

4. Cliff

Cliff
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,939
    I really cannot see why you would switch to BT unless its the football?

After a few months with Sky and Openreach we have just about had enough of BT (Openreach) as they don't appear to be able to fix a twisted pair!
    I sent them an e mail today as I cannot wait on hold for their fault line.

Nothing wrong with Sky and I feel sorry they have to use BT for their telephone and internet. I am seriously thinking of going back to Virgin after less than a year.
    Awful service all round and still not working!

5. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,363
    Other side of the coin and for balance, I have been with BT before ADSL now on Infinity and the service is excellent. In my haste for high speed and before infinity I was with Virgin for BB only. Totally unreliable.

6. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,085
    I have been with Virgin for almost 7 years and the quality of service has been great from the standpoint of no downtime/equipment issues. I think I have had maybe 3-4 times where the service was interrupted for a couple of hours but nothing else.

I do have issues with their pricing though, I have the 20meg service and pay £28.65 which is a rip off. I am guilty of being a loyal customer of some years and they reward you with overcharging, it's my fault though as I have never called them up and threatened to leave unless I get a better deal.

I am sorely tempted by teh BT deal which gets me a 76mb service plus other extras like wi-fi & footie (not so bothered about that though) for less money and a £100 voucher if switching from Virgin.

I don't want Sky as they are also a rip off, I pay £25 per month now for their most basic package for my tv so am thinking a package from BT could be a much better option.

The only problem is when you hear experiences like Cliff has had it puts you off, I suppose though they all have their horror stories which tends to make you say bugger it I will stay with my current supplier as they have been ok on service.

7. sparkymark75

sparkymark75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +738
    I had the same reservations, better the :devil: you know sometimes.

So I called Virgin as I was paying around £48 per month for 60Mb and evening and w/end calls.

Although I reduced the broadband to 30Mb, I'm now getting the same for £24 per month, guaranteed for 2 years (with a 1 year contract). I can also go back to 60Mb for £32 per month.

Give them a call and don't accept the offer the foreign call centre make, they will then put you through to the UK call centre who will make better offers.

8. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,085
    Result:smashin: After thinking it over decided to call retentions and see what deal I could get. I spoke to a guy and told him I was looking to switch to BT on their Infinity 2 at £26 a month with £100 cash voucher offer.

He readily offered me a couple of options:

1. 30mb service £22 pm fixed for 2 yrs with a 12 month contract with a superhub 1

2. 60meg service £25 pm ditto but with super hub 2

My current deal is 20mb @ £28.65 which is also having a price increase to £31.15 from 1st Oct.

I went with deal 2 as it was better VFM.

The superhub is being fitted free (normally they charge apparently) on 18th Sept so whilst the deal is probably not quite as good as the BT deal I think after considering potential problems with BT service I am going to stick with the devil I know.:D

I guess I am lucky having spotted the BT deal just in time as it finishes today which obviously gave me leverage in getting a great new deal.:thumbsup: