Switching from TalkTalk to Sky

Discussion in 'Sky Broadband' started by xruiner89, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Goooner

Goooner
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18,070
    I was also on TT LLU, had the phone with them as well and there was no mention of the £39 when I switched.

If you're not having any bother with TT and aren't tied in to a long term contract, then you probably are better off staying put for a while. Just keep an eye out here or on the Sky forums, I'm sure it'll be mentioned when something is sorted:thumbsup:

2. Southernguy

Southernguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I've only recently ordered sky bb and wondered if I could switch the wireless function off on the sky router and Ethernet cable it to my apple time capsule which would then act as the wireless router??

3. jerryq7777

jerryq7777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +677
    Have a look here.

How to connect two Routers together

4. golden phoenix

golden phoenix
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,005
    think thats what i'll do, no anytime + for me then...plus i keep hereing they will be rolling the wireless N software or router soon (in summer), dont know whether that will make a difference (or that is wishful thinking by forum members,or me!).

i just cant understand why they would not try and test this router before they send them out to customers on mass, when they know about well documented problems and continue to send them out until its sorted! its just plain bad customer service!

5. golden phoenix

golden phoenix
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,005
    can i just ask this question as i dotn think it has been answered yet and i was looking for a difinitive answer.

(bedroom) my desktop pc is currently hard wired and connected via enthernet to my netgear router.

(Living room) could i then get a sky router and hard wire via ethernet and connect my ps3/sky HD/Oppo 93

and use both routers on the same phone line at the same time? if not what would be the solution to my dilemma.

im after a proper answer, rather than opinion on this one please.

thanks

6. Goooner

Goooner
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18,070
    You mean use both routers on the Sky broadband connection? If you turn DHCP off on the Netgear and change it's ip address there's no reason why that wouldn't work.

What about homeplugs? Sky router connected to Ps3 etc and one homeplug, other homeplug in the bedroom and connected to the Pc.

Sent from my iPhone using AVForums

7. golden phoenix

golden phoenix
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,005
    i'll be the first to say my it skills are quite poor. no

i mean have my netgear connected in the bedroom to one phone socket and pc

and have sky router connected to a seperate socket, but the same phone line in the living room... im i making sense?

im speculating to bypass the wireless issue on the current sky routers, other wise i will wait as posted further up!

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  8. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,303
    You can't have two ADSL routers plugged into the same phone line as only one can connect at a time.

So at the moment you have desktop pc via ethernet cable into back of netgear router and router to phone line in your bedroom?

What do you currently do for your PS3 if you want internet connectivity. Is it just wireless?

If you get Sky then their router would normally replace your netgear router and connect the same way. This leaves your oppo and Sky still unconnected.

You can extract the username and password details from the Sky router and use any router with the connection. (thus leaving your netgear as is) Then you could get a wireless bridge to connect to your Sky HD, PS3 and Oppo.

9. jerryq7777

jerryq7777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +677
    You can only have 1 router connected to your phone line.Use the link above it tells you what to do.

10. Goooner

Goooner
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18,070
    Ah, with you now. So the phone socket in the bedroom is just an extension to the one in the living room (or vice versa)?

In that case then it wouldn't work.

Homeplugs would be the answer, or turn wireless off on the Sky router, connect the Netgear to the Sky router (after changing the ip address) and connect wirelessly, using the Netgear's wireless to the Pc.

I'd say homeplugs were the best bet. I've got my Sky router in the living room and I was connecting my Pc, which is in another room, wirelessly, it wax just so much hassle with the constant connection dropping, I bought a pair of Homeplugs off eBay for £30, connect one to the router the other one to the Pc in the other room and it works brilliantly.

Also hardwired my PS3, 360 and Sky box to the Sky router, which are all fortunately in the same room.

Sent from my iPhone using AVForums

11. golden phoenix

golden phoenix
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,005
    ok the reason i ask all these questions is, im about to switch to sky. and i realise that there defo is a massive problem across the board with the sagem routers especially when used wirelessly.

i need a wireless set up for some of my equipment. it seems from what i have been told that homeplugs are the answer, but the point is i should have a router that performs properly from sky in the first place without additional costs to me. no ... im gonna sit tight, and see what the wireless N eventually gives when that is released (and lets hope its not more problems).

by the way havent got the oppo yet, just making sure im prepared!

thanks for the posts though guys

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  12. Goooner

Goooner
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18,070
    There was a post on the official Sky help forum earlier from a Sky advisor, he actually acknowledged officially (possibly for the first time, I believe) that they are aware of the problems they think it's a firmware issue and they are working on it.

So, you're plan to hold fire for a while is probably for the best.

13. golden phoenix

golden phoenix
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,005
    Hi Goooner thanks for that!

this was posted yesterday by sky offical forums advisor regarding the

sagem [email protected] 2304

they say a small number of users! they also say turn the wireless connection off (this defeats the purpose). the firmware update is will be rolled out over the next few weeks. i will keep my eye on this!

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  14. golden phoenix

golden phoenix
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,005
    might also be worth watching this thread specifically about changing from TT to Sky, i ve posted on there aswell!

from TT to SKY BB

Ironically the service from TT has improved for me and im now getting 19.5 meg dowload! and never lose the connection..sky had plugged in a splitter directly into the phone line and it went unnoticed for over a year..i plugged the splitter into a micro filter and its like having a new BB connection rock solid and fast!.. i live in the next street to the exchange! the only problem is do i move to Sky, i cant negotiate another deal with TT yet as im seeing how things pan out with sky in the next few months!

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  15. jase4772

jase4772

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    My TT to Sky has now been completed and certainly a painless migration. My connection has improved a bit as well going from around 350k/s to just under 500k/s.

I've seen mention of splitters and micro filters. Is this something different to the usual splitter supplied with the modems? Just wondering if there's any benefit to getting one separately.

Cheers!

16. Toshman

Toshman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Best thing I ever did was buy a faceplate for the mastet socket from ADSL Nation, it has filters built in with separate sockets for phone and modem. This means you dont need separate filters and makes things much neater!

17. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,377
    Just put my Sky Broadband and Sky talk order in (the broadband free for 6 months offer swayed it for me). Sky said they need a MAC code though but talktalk are saying they can't give me one cos I'm on LLU and MAC codes are just for IP stream products. Could this be the start of problems....

18. jerryq7777

jerryq7777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +677
    Sounds like your going on the Sky Connect package.As most on here will agree its a poor package you might be better off staying put.Is your exchange enabled for Sky LLU ?

SamKnows - Telephone Exchange Search

19. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,377
    No it's definitely the unlimited LLU package I've ordered, it's showing that on the order tracking. My exchange is definitely enabled for Sky LLU. Think the sales person was a bit confused, even found this on the Sky Help FAQ :-

'What if I can't get a MAC code?
    Most broadband providers issue MAC codes. But if you receive your broadband from one of the few providers that doesn't, you need to contact them and cancel the broadband on your phone line.

You'll need to do the same if your broadband is provided through an 'LLU' broadband network (see also 'What is LLU?' below). It can take up to five days for your existing broadband to be cancelled, and another five days for BT's database - which we use for reference - to be updated.

So, once you've cancelled your existing broadband, it may take up to 10 days in total for your Sky Broadband to go live.

If your current broadband service is from a fully unbundled provider (e.g. Talk Talk) you will not be able to use a MAC to switch broadband services as these are not available with fully unbundled services. In this case you'll need to order a new Sky phone line when you order Sky Broadband'

Question now is when do I ring talktalk to cancel my broadband with them cos don't wanna be without it for any longer than need be but if it can take 5 days to cancel and 5 days after that for Sky to find out about it then I don't wanna be leaving it too long!

20. jerryq7777

jerryq7777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +677
    You wont need a mac code then i didnt.But you will be without broadband for at least 10 days.You will get a date from Sky when Sky Talk is due to start.Thats when your broadband will be switched off with talktalk.Then it takes 10 days to enable sky broadband.You will need to inform talktalk of the date your line will be taken over by Sky as thats when your time with talktalk comes to an end.I just used the tethering option on an Android phone for internet access got a 3 sim for £7 that gives you 3gb and that was more enough for 10 days.One other thing chase Sky up for your router mine only arrived 4 days after i was activated :mad:

21. Goooner

Goooner
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18,070
    I didn't need a MAC or have any break in service when I switched from TT to Sky, it all seems a bit random to be honest.

22. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,377
    Thanks for that, the date Sky gave me for Sky talk being activated was the 7th June. So I need to ring talktalk now do I and tell them that's the date I want my talktalk broadband service to cease? Thought Sky took care of all that to be honest but I guess it doesn't hurt to make sure it's covered. Yeah already thought of using my phone as a wireless access point so that will suffice for the time my broadband is down.

Cheers

23. jerryq7777

jerryq7777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +677
    Yep you have to inform them its a 30 days notice thing.

24. Toshman

Toshman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    When I ordered Sky Talk and broadband, I was originally with Talk Talk, I ordered on 30th April and was given the date of 17th May for Sky Talk and broadband unlimited. My router arrived on 6th May and everything went live on the 17th. There was no loss of service although I was at work all day so I don't know how long the actual switch took, everything was up and running when I got home. I certainly didn't need a MAC code and Talk Talk already new I was leaving when I phoned them to confirm, Sky sorted everything!

25. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,377
    How does that work then cos Sky were saying I'd be switched to them on the 7th of June which is obviously a lot less than 30 days!

26. jerryq7777

jerryq7777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +677
    Yes but talktalk will still charge you till the end of your billing cycle.It should all be automatic but i wouldnt trust them not to carry on trying to take payments after you have left.30 days is the standard notice time for most companys.

27. Toshman

Toshman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Thats what I thought as well but when I checked my online bill they have only charged me one days line and BB rental for the 17th May. My rental period was for 16th to 16th of each month!

28. golden phoenix

golden phoenix
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,005
    hey there, when you moved decided to start the process to move over to sky, did you just speak to customer services or did you just do it on the net (sign up i mean), and did they mentioned that you had to pay a £39 charge to do it? or did you complete on the internet?

because i need a new line as TT is LLU at my exhange, both times i checked it out (on the phone to customer services, and the internet) i couldnt get around the £39 charge, yet others like Goooner wasnt charged and he was in the same boat as me!. im out of contract with TT at the mo (i was waiting for the wireless N deal, when that appears!

29. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,377
    I rang them up cos I had a letter offering me broadband free for 6 months but online it was only free for 3 months. Yes I had to pay the £39 charge for moving the line to them.

30. golden phoenix

golden phoenix
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,005
    thanks for that zAndy1

please keep us informed on this thread as im curious and hoping that everything goes smoothly for you..plus im in the same boat as you, just havent done the full switch yet.

since ive got no mac code, when i do switch over i guess i will have to contact TT to give notice first. did you just do that over the phone when you notified them? or writing?