• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Switching from Orange Dolphin 35 to iPhone 35 Tariff?

ordnas

Established Member
I'm currently 12 months into an 18 month contract on Orange Dolphin 35 with a Data plan. I was using an android phone, but have sold it to get a 2nd hand iPhone 4.

I phoned Orange to enquire about switching to an iPhone 35 tariff and the lady said that I would have to pay an extra £5 per month for the iPhone tariff. This would take me up to £40pm for a 35pm tariff. I don't quite understand this!

Could I just cut my current orange sim down to a micro sim and pop it into an iPhone 4 and use all the iPhone services, or would Orange find out and make me pay the extra?

Thanks for any help :)

Dabs

Standard Member
Hello,

Sorry to jump into your post but im curious too as i have now got an Iphone 4 and i'm letting my daughter have my old 3GS (for Christmas) and shes on an Orange £35 a month plan.
They told me a while back when enquiring that i would have to pay £10 extra:confused:
But what i have done is put her old chip in the 3GS and not told them.(just to test it out coz shes not getting it till Chrismas):D
Will they find out or should i be careful she does'nt go over her data allowance which is 500meg?? (i pay her bill at the moment).

Thanks.

ordnas

Established Member
That's interesting. £10 extra is even worse than I got told lol. Let me know how it goes. Hopefully they wont notice, but I suppose you wont find out until after xmas.

Would be nice to hear from others who have done tried for a longer period time to see if orange noticed :)

I am currently holding out on buying one as I cant afford to pay anymore than £35 per month on my contract.

Thanks.

ry2010

Established Member
im so glad im in the same boat. i have a nokia n97 mini (why i didnt upgrade to an iphone 4 ill never know!?)
i finish in september and me being me i just cant wait. (boys and there gadgets lol)

im thinking of buying an unlocked iphone 4 from apple online for £699 then once contract is up in september im switching to a sim only tarriff and chopping my sim card to fit the iphone 4.
the sim only contract has 400 mins, 3000 texts 1 gig of internet with 3 network for £15 a month.

hornet#30

Established Member
Hi i was 12 months into a dolphin 30 contract i took out through CPW got given a 3G didn't even hesitate to take the sim out and pop it in. I even told them i'd moved to a 3G, the only difference was i wanted a data plan adding to my account and for that i had to pay an extra £5 for 500mb because the Iphone is such a heavy user it was a "specific" iphone data plan. Other than that they weren't bothered so if you already have data or are not bothered wouldn't sweat it at all.

As a side note, i've just sacked orange off and gone to 3 £30 a month and £99 for the ip4 300 mins 5000 txts 5000 3-3 mins 500mb orange wouldn't budge at all on upgrades from £35 and £120.

Last edited:

ry2010

Established Member
Hi i was 12 months into a dolphin 30 contract i took out through CPW got given a 3G didn't even hesitate to take the sim out and pop it in. I even told them i'd moved to a 3G, the only difference was i wanted a data plan adding to my account and for that i had to pay an extra £5 for 500mb because the Iphone is such a heavy user it was a "specific" iphone data plan. Other than that they weren't bothered so if you already have data or are not bothered wouldn't sweat it at all.

As a side note, i've just sacked orange off and gone to 3 £30 a month and £99 for the ip4 300 mins 5000 txts 5000 3-3 mins 500mb orange wouldn't budge at all on upgrades from £35 and £120.

whats your data plan you get with it? also hows the three network?

hornet#30

Established Member
With 3? I get 500mb data same as i had on orange i chose to pay less for the phone initially as i rarely go over 200 mins so don't need 500 and i have wi-fi at home and work so don't really need a full GB of data (3 also offer another £30 a month plan but the phone is £160). Unfortunalty i can't comment on the network itself as my contract doesn't start until the 27th as SWMBO was in the store with me and my orange contract doesn't actually end until 18th dec.

ordnas

Established Member
I just had a conversation with a very nice lady from Orange to discuss my iPhone options, and I asked her if I was to cut my sim card down and pop it into an iPhone 4 would there be any problems and she said no :). But she did say that if you damage your sim, when you ring up for a replacement "do not" say that you damaged it trying to cut it down or they wont send you a replacement. She was very helpful. My other options were to drop my dolphin tariff down and pay the extra £10pm (thought it was only £5), for the iphone bundle so I wouldn't have to go over my £35pm limit, but I would end up losing over half of my free minutes!

She said the only thing I would lose by cutting down my sim card is BT openzone wifi hotspots, which i'm not bothered about.

Now the only question left is whether to go down this route or just go back to my trusty Blackberry bold 9700 (less hassle), which I love, but really fancy a touchscreen phone, hence why I changed to an android phone for a while.

Decisions decisions :rolleyes:

r1984

Established Member
I have been using a normal orange sim in my iphone for the last 3 or 4 years i think. When i had the original 2G, then had 3G, then 3GS and now i cut the sim in iPhone 4.

I have had a few internet problems on my iPhone 4 but i think thats due to a old sim i have been using.

But i have never had any problems with orange with me using the sim in my iphone. they dont know

ry2010

Established Member
I have been using a normal orange sim in my iphone for the last 3 or 4 years i think. When i had the original 2G, then had 3G, then 3GS and now i cut the sim in iPhone 4.

I have had a few internet problems on my iPhone 4 but i think thats due to a old sim i have been using.

But i have never had any problems with orange with me using the sim in my iphone. they dont know
do you think you had probs because of cutting sim card to fit iphone 4?

i am thinking that is the route i am taking. buying unlocked iphone 4 and cutting sim. just wanna make sure iphone would work if i cut my sim card

ordnas

Established Member

:DThats great news, but I was worried that Orange would be able to detect what phone I was using my sim card in and see that I wasn't on an iPhone tarrif, but after reading your post that doesn't seem the case :)

Thanks for letting me know of your experience, it makes me feel more confident about getting an iPhone.

:thumbsup:

ordnas

Established Member
do you think you had probs because of cutting sim card to fit iphone 4?

i am thinking that is the route i am taking. buying unlocked iphone 4 and cutting sim. just wanna make sure iphone would work if i cut my sim card

Yeah that's another thing i'm worried about lol. I suppose I could practice with another orange sim first before cutting my contract sim :)

r1984

Established Member
Yeah that's another thing i'm worried about lol. I suppose I could practice with another orange sim first before cutting my contract sim :)

Nope, it was happening before with my 3GS, only happens now and then but i honestly think its because i have a very old sim

Best thing try it, if you have problems change your tariff

ordnas

Established Member
Well I got my iPhone 4, (used but in mint condition). Cut down my sim and popped it into my phone without any probs. Loving the phone so far :)

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom