Switching from HDMi to HD Component

paul1975

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have my 360 hooked up via HDMi, but I need that port for my Blu-ray player now. I'm going to pick up the HD Component cables, but how should I proceed in hooking them up?

Should I keep the HDMi plugged in when I hook up the component, and change the settings manually (if I need to)? Or, can I switch to component right away - will the 360 detect it the next time I turn it on, or will it be looking for the HDMi connection?

You won't be able to have the HDMI and component cable plugged in at the same time (unless you modify the cable), the component cable blocks the HDMI output socket.

Should just work fine, I use component at home, but usually use HDMi when dragging xbox round to friends, never had problems switching from one cable type to the other.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
The 360 will recognise the HD Component cables automatically. I used to run HD Component to a Plasma (720p) and then change to HDMI to a Projector (1080p) and the 360 recognised each cable/resolution automatically.

You won't be able to have the HDMI and component cable plugged in at the same time (unless you modify the cable), the component cable blocks the HDMI output socket.

Good to know.

Why not use a simple splitter , there are plenty that work fine and dont cost much.

Well, I have both component and HDMi connection on my TV, and I still have to buy a cable. Just easier (for me) to get the 360 HD component cable.

The 360 will recognise the HD Component cables automatically. I used to run HD Component to a Plasma (720p) and then change to HDMI to a Projector (1080p) and the 360 recognised each cable/resolution automatically.

Great, just what I needed to hear.

If you have a problem with the change different resolution or something then, press the guide button to turn the controller on and boot the console. Hold Y and the right trigger to reset the display settings

Obviously starting with the console off

Before I knew about the HD AV Component I was thinking about some other solution+modifying the cable as described above.

But now that we are talking about it, does anyone know if you can put the AV pins into a SCART Adaptor and still get same picture quality? I forgot to check that before I ordered, so would be great to know if it worked before they ship it.. :clap:

You would get composite and stereo audio via the SCART adapter

Now component so no HD

I wasnt expecting HD quality on a LCD 26" which doesnt have HD, but I would think that with the minimal difference between AV and SCART wouldnt matter much seeing as they are both compatible/intertwineable, all I want is better quality than I have right now.

So what you are saying is that with a HD AV Cable on a SCART adaptor (Like you get in the 360 or ps3 box.) Wont give me any better quality than the Composite AV I am running now?

Last edited:
If using the SCART adapter you would run the composite cable into it so it would be the same/worse due to the added resistance via more connections

To have a better picture you would need to use (in order of highest quality at the top):
HDMI
DVI
VGA
Component

To have a better picture you would need to use (in order of highest quality at the top):
HDMI
DVI
VGA
Component

Theoretically....though it really depends on how your display processes each connection. ;)

All that needs to be clarified is the following:

HD - HDMI/DVI; Component; VGA
SD - Composite; s-Video; Scart

Then the choice is down to the individual. :smashin:

Ah okay, thx alot man :)

I deleted my order and went for the official VGA AV cable instead :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom