• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Switching from Be to Plusnet fibre optic - can i use my TG585v7 router from Be?

theredindian

Novice Member
Hi,

i'm looking at switching broadband providers since Sky announced they was buying Be.

I'm currently on the old Be Unlimited package, and using the TG585v7 router supplied by Be.

I'm thinking about upgrading to fibre optic broadband, as now seems like a good time. Looking at the various packages available, i'm thinking of signing up with PlusNet's Unlimited Fibre Broadband and calls, as this meets my usage requirements.

My only concern is the crappy techicolor router that they supply can be temperamental. From my understanding a BT engineer will install a fibre optic modem, and then the plus net router is connected to that modem via an ethernet cable.

Can i use my Be TG585v7 router instead of the techicolor router? If not, is there a better router i could buy separately or am i stuck with the PlusNet techicolor router?

PowerLee

Established Member
The Technicolor 528n Plusnet supply is ok for most fibre users if its used with LAN connections, its the poor wireless coverage that people seem to moan about.

You can use any SUITABLE router with Plusnet, you just have to configure it correctly, for fibre the router must support PPPoE and have an Ethernet WAN port

Openreach will supply & fit there fibre modem & then you connect the router up.

I'd give the supplied 582n a try first before looking at replacing it.

LJx

Prominent Member
It's no worse than that TG585 at least it has n, but you should be able to use it if you want

derek1971

Prominent Member
If you leave Be they will no doubt want you to return the router they supplied. I recently had me Be router replaced when the old one developed a fault and they even wanted the broken one back!

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom