• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Switching channels on sky+ box from multiple rooms

Deano5

Novice Member
Hi all,
Just wondered if anyone can help/ advise. I have sky + Hd and would like to switch channels with the sky box in another location other than where the tv sits. I would like to have this set up from a couple of rooms.
So the sky box would be in the loft for example and with just a tv on the wall in the lounge, 1 in the bedroom and 1 one in the kids hideaway.
I believe this can be done with cat5 or cat 6 cable, but wondered if any one has any diagrams and advice on set up and of the best equipment to buy to do this. Also can this be done for a Digital tv box aswell? Any advice will be greatly appreciated! TIA!

Deano5

Novice Member
Hi,
The sky box currently has it own feed to the dish. I have run a shot gun ct100 from each room to the loft and could run from the lift to the dish. I have 2 coax run from the existing sky box location to the loft, and I have also run 2 x cat 5 cable from each room to the loft, and a telephone point in the loft.I was thinking of moving the sky box to the loft and IR the TVs in the rooms.
If this was possible could I have each room watching a different channel?
Thanks

Seb Briggs

Distinguished Member
f this was possible could I have each room watching a different channel?

One box can only output one channel at a time

If a sky hd box then you can use the coax (aerial) cable to distribute the box to each tv using a coax distribution amp which by adding sky magic eye you could then also change channel

If wanting HD though you would need a hdmi over cat5/6 splitter and receivers at each tv however again these also support IR over the cat cable so at each location you could change the channel

Alternatively you could use a hdmi modulator which would take the hdmi out of the sky box and turn it into a “freeview” channel that could be viewed on any tv via the coax/aerial cable . Sky magic eye would also allow you to control the box

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
'If this was possible could I have each room watching a different channel?' - as above with a single SKY+ HD box you can only ever 'mirror' the selected channel to all TV's.

With a Dish and or Aerial on the roof you can of course deliver a signal to a Freesat or Freeview Receiver in each room.

Have you considered moving to SKY Q - with a Main box plus a couple of mini boxes and the multi room sub you will have the ability to view different channels in each room.

Joe

Deano5

Novice Member
One box can only output one channel at a time

If a sky hd box then you can use the coax (aerial) cable to distribute the box to each tv using a coax distribution amp which by adding sky magic eye you could then also change channel

If wanting HD though you would need a hdmi over cat5/6 splitter and receivers at each tv however again these also support IR over the cat cable so at each location you could change the channel

Alternatively you could use a hdmi modulator which would take the hdmi out of the sky box and turn it into a “freeview” channel that could be viewed on any tv via the coax/aerial cable . Sky magic eye would also allow you to control the box
Ok thanks for info appreciate it.
'If this was possible could I have each room watching a different channel?' - as above with a single SKY+ HD box you can only ever 'mirror' the selected channel to all TV's.

With a Dish and or Aerial on the roof you can of course deliver a signal to a Freesat or Freeview Receiver in each room.

Have you considered moving to SKY Q - with a Main box plus a couple of mini boxes and the multi room sub you will have the ability to view different channels in each room.

Joe
Thanks.bive heard mixed reviews about sky q and its connectivity in the home with wi fi provs etc.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
As sbriggs says if you find running SKY Q wireless is an issue you can hardwire - there are also options to add in wireless extenders.

Plenty folk have SKY Q multi room working very effectively - it is also possible to centralise the SKY Q main and mini units and run them via an 'over CAT' HDMI Matrix to share them out to additional rooms, we have taken that route with a few customers recently who were looking to upgrade existing multi-room systems.

Joe

Deano5

Novice Member
As sbriggs says if you find running SKY Q wireless is an issue you can hardwire - there are also options to add in wireless extenders.

Plenty folk have SKY Q multi room working very effectively - it is also possible to centralise the SKY Q main and mini units and run them via an 'over CAT' HDMI Matrix to share them out to additional rooms, we have taken that route with a few customers recently who were looking to upgrade existing multi-room systems.

Joe
Ok thanks

Deano5

Novice Member
Hi all thanks for previous advice. We have decided to go for the Sky Q.
My question is this..
On my new tv there is only 1 coax point and 2 x hdmi ports. I have a digitalntv supply coming down to the tv direct from an aerial-:When the sky q is installed how do I connect the digital supply as this is currently pushed into the coax port on the tv and I assume the sky q box will need to be connected to the coax port.
Please advise.
TIA

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
The SKY Q main box connects to a compatible dish/LNB over a suitable coax cable plus to your Router via a CAT cable for Internet access - the mini box’s then connect via WiFi or a CAT cable to your network and as sbriggs says via HDMI to the local TV.

Joe

Deano5

Novice Member
The SKY Q main box connects to a compatible dish/LNB over a suitable coax cable plus to your Router via a CAT cable for Internet access - the mini box’s then connect via WiFi or a CAT cable to your network and as sbriggs says via HDMI to the local TV.

Joe
Thanks Joe

gibbsy

The wifi works quite well with SkyQ, I've only got the one mini box and have not had any drop outs or problems with any wifi connection. If you have an engineer coming out to install they will check any connections.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom