1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Switching between Panny 6 optional side speakers & Surround Sound

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by andyatkins, Apr 28, 2004.

1. andyatkins

andyatkins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ideally I would like to have a plasma setup where I select sound to come out of the plasma's optional side speakers for bog-standard TV (Sky news etc) & then select output through the 5.1 surround sound setup I will have for movies & sports etc. I am advised by Andy @ AV-Sales to go for a Pioneer AX5 amp & will be going for a Panny 6 series plasma.

Is this possible with the setup I've outlined above wihtout having to resort to manual switchbox type stuff?

Thanks again for the advice

2. Deron

Deron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I have wall speakers next to mine that are used the majority of time.

When I want to fire up my home cinema I just mute my plasma and away I go.

Have audio in for both dvd and sky+ so get stereo for both of them.

Both are also connected to my amp via coax and optical respectively.

3. tman

tman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Same here. I use the side speakers on my Panny for normal TV, then zero the volume and power on the amp for movies.

The side speakers actually do a pretty good job anyway when set to 'surround', and I find are perfectly ok for the majority of TV viewing.

4. andyatkins

andyatkins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ThaNKS Guys

Can I just confirm one point - are you both using the Panny 42PWD6 plasma monitor? (IE just a screen without an on-board tuner)

The bit I can;t get my head around is how you 'split' the sound out. I guess it just comes in over the SCART lead as part of the overall picture & at the same time you are feeding the AV amp directly from seperate L&R audio outs from sky & DVD?

5. tman

tman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    I actually have a 4 series Panasonic (consumer version, silver bezel). Still an excellent plasma that set's the standard.

My Freeview reveiver is connected to the VGA port of the plasma, and the dual phono outs are then connected to the mini-jack audio plug linked to the VGA input. This provides perfect stereo/surround output from the DTT box (Nokia 221T).

DVD is connected via component, with the phono pair going from the player to the audio input linked to the component card, and an optical lead going into the amp. This allows me to watch and listen to DVD's over the plasma's speakers OR the amp.

All this works fine, and gives me plenty of options.