Switching between PAL and RGB makes no difference to PQ??

Searla

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, I'm a bit new to all this.:(

I've just bought my first LCD TV. I ended up going for a Acer AT4220, I know it's a basic model indeed but the reviews seemed canny enough for a budget set, so I went for it.

When I set it up I was immediately disappointed with the picture. I followed all the obvious advice that this forum provided :thumbsup: Checked that the SCART was fitted correctly, checked it was on and RGB enables SCART socket (I actually tried both) Made sure the Sky box was set tp RGB - everything was set as it should? Still poor pixelated picture. I appreciate it's not going to win any awards for outstanding quality at just over £500 but I think it should be better than what I am getting.

Now for the really strange thing. When switching between PAL and RGB on the Sky Box, the picture changes in no way whatsoever. Not an iota??:( is this normal, should it not change at all, even just a tiny bit?? I know on my old CRT the picture change between PAL and RGB was massive?? I'm pulling my hair out now, I've removed all video senders, DVD players, AV kit etc. Tried different cables, sockets etc.
Could it be a problem with my Sky Box???
Any advice would be massively appreciated :lease:

Is your Scart lead a fully wired scart, i.e. you can see all the pins on the scart plugs. Some scart leads are only wired for composite.

Hi,

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, I'm a bit new to all this.:(

I've just bought my first LCD TV. I ended up going for a Acer AT4220, I know it's a basic model indeed but the reviews seemed canny enough for a budget set, so I went for it.

When I set it up I was immediately disappointed with the picture. I followed all the obvious advice that this forum provided :thumbsup: Checked that the SCART was fitted correctly, checked it was on and RGB enables SCART socket (I actually tried both) Made sure the Sky box was set tp RGB - everything was set as it should? Still poor pixelated picture. I appreciate it's not going to win any awards for outstanding quality at just over £500 but I think it should be better than what I am getting.

Now for the really strange thing. When switching between PAL and RGB on the Sky Box, the picture changes in no way whatsoever. Not an iota??:( is this normal, should it not change at all, even just a tiny bit?? I know on my old CRT the picture change between PAL and RGB was massive?? I'm pulling my hair out now, I've removed all video senders, DVD players, AV kit etc. Tried different cables, sockets etc.
Could it be a problem with my Sky Box???
Any advice would be massively appreciated :lease:

In the Video settings of the Digibox make sure that scart control is set to ON as RGB is only output if this is the case, as is stated on another thread on this forum.
Also on my LCD (Sharp 32") there is a menu setting to actually choose the input to the scarts ie. composite,component or RGB. Perhaps there is a similar setting on yours.

Is your Scart lead a fully wired scart, i.e. you can see all the pins on the scart plugs. Some scart leads are only wired for composite.

Yep, borrowed a QED SCART from a pal (no pun intended :) )to check this, no dfference?:rolleyes:

Also, I'm pretty sure that the SCART control is set to on??

I am right in thinking that I should be able to see "some" difference when switching between PAL and RGB?? Even if its just small? (IF all connections and setting are right?)

Thanks to all help so far..

Are you definitely in the TV scart socket (not the VCR socket) on the Sky box?

Are you definitely in the TV scart socket (not the VCR socket) on the Sky box?

Yep :(

I appreciate that by the sounds of it, this doesn't make any sense?? I'm at a loss!

Sometimes (depends on box) you need to press the "Sky" button to get RGB output.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom