Switches & Splitters to support 4K TV + 1080p Projector + Dolby Atmos Soundbar

DazzF

Novice Member
Hi All,

I currently have the builders ripping the gut's out of my living room, and we will be running cables shortly, so I need some guidance on how to set up switches and splitters to support my current kit and try and future proof the set up as much as possible.

I'm looking at a wireless soundbar (JBL Bar 9.1 Soundbar) for the flexibility to move it around because to watch TV to will view across the room, to watch the projector your watch down the room.

The input sources I have are a Virgin Media Tivo, Playstation 4 Pro (Playstation 5 on pre-order to replace) and a Windows 10 PC (with an Nvidia 1060)
The outputs are a wall-mounted 4k HDR TV to go on the wall for normal TV watching and a 1080p projector for movie night. I obviously want to use the soundbar when using either TV or Projector.

Currently, I have a 10m HDMI cable for the Projector, and I plan to use this initially. I'm putting a projector lift in the ceiling. For future-proofing, we'll make sure I can replace the HDMI cable, I'm also going to run a cat6 U/FTP (standard throughout the house), so I could use some form on HDMI over structured cabling solution should HDMI cable length be a problem.

I hope that has provided enough background......

To get me up and running I need a single clever box (probably prohibitively expensive at this point given the building work costs) or a set of Switches and Splitters that will support 4K HDR for the TV, 1080p for the projector and Dolby Atmos for the soundbar.

My simple mind tells me the that would have a 4K HDR Dolby Atmos compatible switch with enough inputs for my kit and a single output which I feed into a 3 input HDMI splitter to feed the TV, Projector and soundbar. Still, I'm not sure if you can split off a switch with the requirements I have as I understand there will be a lot of handshaking going on between the devices and it could all go horribly wrong.

Your guidance on this would be gratefully appreciated......

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Room layout - always think there must be a better option :)

HDMI distribution - the HDFury Vertex2 or Diva are both options, the Vertex2 may require you to toggle the Source between HDR and SDR, longer term the Vertex2 may be a better option if you have any plans to upgrade the projector.

Joe

DazzF

Novice Member
Room layout - always think there must be a better option :)

HDMI distribution - the HDFury Vertex2 or Diva are both options, the Vertex2 may require you to toggle the Source between HDR and SDR, longer term the Vertex2 may be a better option if you have any plans to upgrade the projector.

Joe
Hi,

so the Vertex2 looks like a good solution, however, I may not have made it clear enough in my background, I want to run cables to two positions for my soundbar, so having two outputs for sound is a must, could I simply add a splitter to the HDMI full audio output to archive that (one that support Dolby Atmos)?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Assuming the 1x2 DA (Splitter) was capable of supporting the full audio signal then yes you could use that downstream of the Vertex² and save you having to manually swap cables around.

Joe

colinstone

Same sort of issue.

Have 4K projector and 1080p TV fed by AV receiver, output up to 8K.
So I need 4K pass through and downscaler to 1080p.

At the moment I have ordered a Wyrestorm Essential 4K HDR 4:4:4 60HZ HDMI 1X2 Splitter WITH 1080P Scaling WYR-EXP-SP-0102-H2. £85.

But wonder if I should splash the cash - again - and go for HD Fury Vertex or Integral 2. Particularly for future proofing??

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
You may also need to factor in HDR!

Very few devices will pass 4K UHD/HDR plus down convert to 1080p/SDR, you would need to consider the HDFury Diva if HDR is required for the pass through signal.

Joe

colinstone

This is the diagram for the Wyrestorm box:

image005.jpg

Which seems to show an 4K HDR signal to an HDR display and a plain 1080p HD signal to the TV??
Pain that it isn't a 5v USB socket - just too much wiring in the cupboard!!

Attachments

• EXP-SP-0102-H2_QuickStartGuide_190930_EN.pdf
    266.2 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

colinstone

I contact Wyrestorm about the HDR issue. And got this reply:

"Thanks for getting back to me.

This is correct the 1080p device won’t impact the 4K HDR display."

So, have I missed something else with this issue??

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
As ever plugging the device in is really the only way to confirm full compatibility with your hardware and content streams when you are dealing with something new.

HDR comes in a few variations and I only see mention of HDR10 - which could be fine if that is what your Source devices/streams are outputting.

Joe

colinstone

Yes, agree. Plug them in, light blue touch paper and stand back!!

This is confusing.

Supported Standards DCI | RGB | HDR | HDR10 | Dolby Vision up to 30Hz | HLG | BT.2020 | BT.2100

Doesn't include HDR 10+. But think it has covered most of the other bases??

colinstone

Now well confused.
Had satellite receiver video set manually to output 2160p, multi refresh, bt2020cl and 12 bit. Projector was fine and a great picture. Then unplugged PJ HDMI and plugged in 1080p 7+ year old Toshiba TV HDMI. Was expecting nothing or a scanning mess. Perfect picture and on HD prog displayed 1920 x 1080, SD prog 720.
So, why have I been chasing around for a splitter to give 4K and downscale to 1080p when the TV itself seems to be able to do ??
What have I missed or got completely wrong??

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Find the info button on the TV and check the incoming signal format - the source will have changed its output to suit the sink (Display).

Joe

colinstone

Well, the Wyrestorm box arrived and installed. But slight snag. And unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a proper manual with trouble shooting, just the 2 page spec sheet/basic instructions.
Anyway, I found that the TV wouldn't display a picture or play sound. Doesn't matter which way round the PJ and TV are plugged in - HDMI outputs 1 or 2.
A little investigation revealed that with both Sony projector and TV connected and both powered off, not even in standby, as soon as the 5v was supplied to the W box, the indicator light for just the PJ came on. TV indicator light remained out. TV indicator light only comes on when fully switched on.
So, the box appears to be switching to the PJ, preventing the TV displaying. If I unplug the PJ, the TV comes on.
Individually, the box passes signals just fine to both devices with full bandwidth and data.

I think it may be to do with the Sony PJ HDMI CEC?? But nothing on that in the Sony manual?? In comparison, I can turn off CEC in the Gigablue satellite receiver.

Last edited:

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Be aware that ‘hot plugging’ HDMI Cables carries a risk of electrical damage to the socket you are plugging to or from, ideally power devices Off before connecting or disconnecting cables.

Hopefully your supplier can trouble shoot the system - Tech support is key with this type of converter.

Joe

colinstone

Thanks. I've now been switching fully off each time. Noticed a tingle when hot plugging early on.
As you surmised, the TV capability does adjust GigaBlue irrespective of what has been set manually.

colinstone

A bit of googling and I think HDMI pin 13 needs disabling. Sony PJ should really have a menu function to switch CEC off.
There are fixes to rip it out or buy a short adapter lead - which might defeat the purpose of the Active Optical Cable

colinstone

Seems that Sony have cocked up. In the Function menu there is no HDMI Function setting. In other projectors, eg VPL-HW55ES, there is an HDMI setting menu where CEC can be turned on/off.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom