Question Switcher or AVR with low input lag/game mode?

NoLifeDGenerate

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm getting a Sony X900E and it's really pissing me off only 2 of the HDMIs are actually worth a damn (only 2 of 4 are full bandwidth). My problem is I have multiple things that'll do 4K and most of them involve gaming (Xbox, PS4, 2 PCs etc), so I don't want to add input lag. Bad enough the new TV has more input lag for 1080 sources than my old one. So are there good receivers that can passthrough without adding lag? Or would a good switch be better? I've had issues with PCs and HDMI switches before, but I never figured out if it was the video card or linux drivers since the windows box was hooked up the same way without issue.

I used to have a Denon that I really liked because it remembered the master volume level of each input individually, so I wondered if they still do that or any other brands do. Always hated switching inputs and getting blasted by something because the volume was cranked for a DVD/BD.

A Zone 2 would also be quite useful.

p.s. Am I the only one who's annoyed that after all these years receivers still act like space heaters and have those flimsy ventilated tops you can't stack anything on? I mean, it's like 40 pounds. You can't really set the receiver on top of the BD player. I'd seriously like to see a receiver with cooling fans and a solid top.

Last edited:
It isn't really an AV receiver that introduces any lag, not unless you are engaging video processing onboard the receiver which is generally suggested you shouldn't. A digital video signal passing through a receiver without imposing scaling or ptocessing to the video will not result in video lag.

It isn't really an AV receiver that introduces any lag, not unless you are engaging video processing onboard the receiver which is generally suggested you shouldn't. A digital video signal passing through a receiver without imposing scaling or ptocessing to the video will not result in video lag.

True, but do all receivers have the option of turning off ALL features that molest the signal (including showing volume on screen etc)?

So are the new receivers for the year out? Is Denon still a good manufacturer? OR are other better? Marantz? I obviously want something built to last. I'd like to find one that remembers the master volume on inputs like my old Denon did. I'm not interested in any of this wifi/bt/network BS. I just want one full of full bandwidth HDMI 2.0b ports that allows for direct passthrough and supports whatever audio formats are thrown at it. I'm still fine with 5.1, but I really want a Zone 2 that I can easily turn on and off. I also need 2x Optical input. I'm actually using 3, but one is from my TV. I'm almost certain I won't need audio from the TV is I run the games through the receiver. I'll probably get some hate for saying this, but I like dynamic range compression (aka "night mode" etc) for watching movies.

Too bad rtings.com only reviews TVs and headphones.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom