Switched from Sony OLED to Q90T QLED. Picture settings question

Tremolo Arm

I just got Q90T in a 65" screen version. I used to have a 55" Sony OLED AF8, which was just too dark for my liking and it also had an annoying auto-dim feature when watching content with static banners (such as football games with a score bar or games with radars/huds). Unfortunately I could not turn that feature off, so the OLED had to go and I also took the opportunity to upgrade to a 65" screen.

I am blown away by the PQ quality on the Samsung Q90T, especially when watching Netflix / Prime. Sure, the blacks are not perfect, but it certainly doesn't make me miss the OLED.

Nevertheless I am yet to find good settings for "regular" TV, such as BBC, Sky Sports, BT Sports, etc. (which I watch via a BT YouView box). Similarly the Gaming mode for Playstation 4 looks way too bright and in your face.

Whilst the TV's "intelligent" picture mode seems to do a good job for Netflix / Prime movie viewing, I find it way too bright and blown out for other content, especially sports. I tried all the other modes and tweaked the Expert settings, but nothing seems to feel right, except the Movie mode, which feels counter intuitive when watching football games, the NBA playoffs or the news...

As for gaming, I have tried the Gaming setting (which was again too bright) and other settings too, but nothing seems to feel right and I tend to gravitate back to the Movie mode. I play mainly PES, FIFA and NHL and the colours and contrasts look just wrong and strenuous on the eyes.

Can anyone share some good settings for regular TV viewing, especially sports like football?

Thanks

anthemized

Hi,
i worked last 3 months calibrating and building settings for the Q95T , with a probe , calibration software and patterns , so maybe i can help you !
first , forget intelligent mode , it is not.
next ; always use colour space to AUTO.
then we can talk and go further into calibration settings.
i have published my calibration settings here , choose the ones corresponding to your usage , depending on room light, and preference.

here i use SDR night 2.4 , SDR dim 2.4 and SDR day BT1886.

for HDR : HDR night and HDR Max day.

feel free to ask any questions on the settings justification.

my sport mode works well with car races but the color space native is not adapted at all for football. you better use the SDR day BT1886 for sport, and if you want smoother animation go for 10/5 in the blur/judder section.

first do only the 2 points white balance that should work on every panel, then you can try to go further with the 20 points in cinema mode combined with my calibrated custm colour space tuning.

here it is , enjoy :

madbroon

Standard Member
for 1402 firmware, they did correct things like saturation, here the updated settings for this firmware

Wow, thanks for taking the time to share these! I'll need to give them a try and just bought a 55inch Q95T and some 4K content on Amazon Prime looks really terrible and dark! Netflix is ok and 1080p from our Humax Freesat box looks good and is super bright! What is your main source?

Karlb123

Standard Member
Hi I have a Q90t will these calibrations work for me and as well my firmware is 1403 not 1402, does that make a difference?
Each panel different, although I tried it and it looks really good.

You can only try it, if not an improvement, reset.

bobkat

Only used the 2 point and 20 point settings.
The rest is to room conditions. Hope that helps.
It did help with the colors 4sure, they seem more accurate. Thanks for posting this I was about to get someone to come and celebrate it lol.

benmango

Can I hijack this thread and ask a quick Q90T / Q95T question:

Does the TV allow you to "save" different settings for the SD / HD channels on FreeSat (eg BBC1 vs BBC1 HD)? If not has anyone got a workaround?

This is the main issue I've had - I can configure a decent setting for one but when I change channels between a HD channel and a SD channel, one of them looks really poor. Assuming you can't configure this, can anyone recommend a half way house?

Annoyingly we watch 80% with the HD channels, but currently that 20% with SD channels looks awful with the settings we have saved.

Chr1zz3

Novice Member
for 1402 firmware, they did correct things like saturation, here the updated settings for this firmware

Wow, just what i was looking for to my new Q95T. Running 1403.1 atm.
Can you tell what to use for HDR gaming, only noticed SDR Gaming?
With game motion plus on, you just set it to on with 0 at blur and judder?

Also, in HDR film HDR1000 High *** i can`t set BT2020, just BT1886, any ideas?
If i use the personal color space for ST2020 for BT 1886, will it be far of and better with auto?

Can`t tell you how glad i am that you want to share the settings.
Hope you reply and we can start a conversation.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

anthemized

Wow, just what i was looking for to my new Q95T. Running 1403.1 atm.
Can you tell what to use for HDR gaming, only noticed SDR Gaming?
With game motion plus on, you just set it to on with 0 at blur and judder?

Also, in HDR film HDR1000 High *** i can`t set BT2020, just BT1886, any ideas?
If i use the personal color space for ST2020 for BT 1886, will it be far of and better with auto?

Can`t tell you how glad i am that you want to share the settings.
Hope you reply and we can start a conversation.

Thanks in advance!
Hi
for HDR gaming i use the HDR max one , 50/38
if you use game mode , set contrast enhancer to max 5 , and game motion flow to 10/5 . it will not be as punshy as a normal hdr setting but works great.

to set a HDR setting , you have to be watching a HDR content , or the setting is not available , that s why it is stuck to BT1886. Just read a HDR film and the BT1886 wil become automatically ST2084 and you will have access to HDR modes .

anthemized

Wow, thanks for taking the time to share these! I'll need to give them a try and just bought a 55inch Q95T and some 4K content on Amazon Prime looks really terrible and dark! Netflix is ok and 1080p from our Humax Freesat box looks good and is super bright! What is your main source?

you are welcome ! i use my PC to watch Tv / games , a PS4 pro , and i use netflix on the panasonic BR UB820
by default the Samsung setting are a total mess, except the filmmaker mode. you have to remove intelligent mode , force the space colour to auto. remove sharpness to 0 or 1 , and then you can work correctly to adapt the setting to your liking. mine are proposed for different gamma ramp , depending on ambiant light conditions and preferences. They are calibrated using a probe (spyder5) and for HDR , i use dedicated HDR video patterns.

anthemized

So fare between 1402 1403 and 1460 firmware , i did not see any need to recalibrate the values , but i still have to make confirmations with the numbers for the 1460 one.

anthemized

Have tou tweaked your settings anymore?
Liking the settings on my q95t by the way.

settings are stable , lucky us since it is time consuming. the latest modifications were about te use of HIGH local attenuation in HDR, which works really great with slight adjustments , check the HDR film night High and HDR film HDR1000 High if you want to test them.

bobkat

So fare between 1402 1403 and 1460 firmware , i did not see any need to recalibrate the values , but i still have to make confirmations with the numbers for the 1460 one.
Thanks for the update greatly appreciated!! Any suggestions on playing in game mode? Every time I do the black levels aren't the greatest (more grey than black) and the image/details seems a little washed out than out off game mode. Also less brighter in gamemode.

anthemized

Thanks for the update greatly appreciated!! Any suggestions on playing in game mode? Every time I do the black levels aren't the greatest (more grey than black) and the image/details seems a little washed out than out off game mode. Also less brighter in gamemode.

no miracle in game mode , put enhanced contrast to the max, and lower shadows to try to reach blacks , sometimes games are not correctly set , example Assassin creed has a wrong black point.

Chr1zz3

Novice Member
Hi
for HDR gaming i use the HDR max one , 50/38
if you use game mode , set contrast enhancer to max 5 , and game motion flow to 10/5 . it will not be as punshy as a normal hdr setting but works great.

to set a HDR setting , you have to be watching a HDR content , or the setting is not available , that s why it is stuck to BT1886. Just read a HDR film and the BT1886 wil become automatically ST2084 and you will have access to HDR modes .

When i did the setting the movie must have lied that it was in HDR, do when i double check i can change the correct ST2084. I`m switching between HDR film night High * (Movie) and HDR film HDR1000 High *. Night (Film maker) and i like the movie more, cause there is less grain in the picture when i try 6 Underground from Netflix. I will try some Disney + content as well with Avengers and Mandalorian. But i would like some more brightness in the (Movie) mode without getting the grain. If i but brightness higher, do i need to do soemthing with contrast or anything else also to get some values even? I have used the HDR settings from your link anthemized/Q95T-settings

For the SDR settings, should i use your other updated link anthemized/Q95T-settings ?
I want to make the same thing there, one for Movie and one for Film maker so i can compare.
When i look at your "favorites" which one of the two Film maker modes would you recommend?
I like smoth even picture, but also would like to use the brightness, not to much though, when we got a TV with good peak brightness if you know what i mean =)

Then i have the HDR och SDR for moves done.
I want to have Standard mode for the sports, often watch football (Soccer).
And i play a lot Playstation 4, waiting for the PS5, so i would like to have a gread SDR and HDR settings there in game mode. i will try to get them right also now.

Sorry for many questions, but so happy to have came a cross you, a professional calibrater and i want to max out the best settings for the TV and console =)
Again, many many thanks for your help. Priceless!

Ps. just checked content at Disney + and there the Film maker mode is awesome, no grain as it is for some Netflix movies and the brightness i better. The Movie mode is more darker on Disney + then Netflix, so there the Film maker mode is better =D

Last edited:

Chr1zz3

Novice Member
no miracle in game mode , put enhanced contrast to the max, and lower shadows to try to reach blacks , sometimes games are not correctly set , example Assassin creed has a wrong black point.

As Bobkat says, i also feel that the blacks ar washed out (grey) in game mode with the HDR film MaxNits settings in game mode. Can you tell why the dynamic black equlizer should be at 5?
I lowered it to "1" and set Local Dimming to "High" and Contrast Enhancer to "Low"
That way i feel i get good blacks with good shadow detail without washed out picture.
But you get blind after a while so would be awesome if someone else could try the settings as well, maybe you Bobkat? I`m testing this on PS4 Pro with COD Modern Warfare Campain, in the beginning in the dark woods if you played it.
When i tried the Contrast Enhancer on High, contrast was clear but felt the colors got washed out.

Ps. But now i’m not sure... when i make HDR calibration in game, when you should make a picture barely visible, even maxed out, i can still see the picture, which tells me maybe my black levels on tv is off with these settings...?
Looking forwards to your testing and tips.

Last edited:

Chr1zz3

Novice Member
Okey, so regarding the Game Motion Plus what ive learned. If you have a PS5 or say Xbox Series X, use Freesync. If you use older consoles like PS4, PS4 Pro or Xbox ( you can tell i`m an PS guy right, dont know all the names for all xbox consoles =P ) you can use Game Motion Plus if you like to enhance game. 30 FPS up to 60 FPS use Judder Reduction. 60 FPS up to say 120 FPS, use Blur Reduction. IF you can find a balance between them for a 30 FPS game thats nice. Try what works best. BUT...it enhance input lag. So for FPS game, specially multiplayer games, disable Game Motion Plus to get the lowest input lag. For RPG games, try it out to get a better and smoother gameplay if you can get it right. For example i can`t get FIFA21 to be smooth all the time if i have Game Motion Plus on. Trying different settings but i get studder at kickoffs, corners, goal kicks and so on, just at the stort av them then i runs smooth. But i don`t want that at all. So i dont know if im doing something wrong, or some games just dont work that well with game motion plus.
Video interpolation makes higher input lag so you know if you want to use it.
I will test it on some games like Tomb raider, God of War, and so on. But when playing multiplayer FPS like i do alot, i will disable it.

Hit me back with thoughts and testing. Nice to hear other peoples experiance and so on.
Or if you found some kick ass settings for some game or so =)

Ps. Okey, so everything i think i know, don`t always seems to be correct..
Though you found the answer, but....no..
I tried FIFA21,60 FPS game. So i tested Game Motion Plus with Blur Reduction at 10.
Felt like smoother gameplay, but som minor studder as i mentioned above, not as muth as before when i also hade some Judder Reduction. So it went well, if i lower the Blur Reduction but still has Game Motion Plus on, is better. So it seems you can run it with Game Motion Plus on and have a better, smoother gameplay.

So, FPS games, i tried some Modern Warfare Multiplayer, also with the same settings, Blur Reduction to 10 just to check and see how i felt and if i noticed some input lag. Nope and finished second that round with 3 kills behind the guy who won the round. So i cant say i noticed some problems with it.

Well i´m just sharing what i tested and my experiance. Would be awesome to see some real numbers what it does and does not with input lag. Some times i feel that the head and eyes is playing tricks.
So back to square one...or? =P

Last edited:

anthemized

When i did the setting the movie must have lied that it was in HDR, do when i double check i can change the correct ST2084. I`m switching between HDR film night High * (Movie) and HDR film HDR1000 High *. Night (Film maker) and i like the movie more, cause there is less grain in the picture when i try 6 Underground from Netflix. I will try some Disney + content as well with Avengers and Mandalorian. But i would like some more brightness in the (Movie) mode without getting the grain. If i but brightness higher, do i need to do soemthing with contrast or anything else also to get some values even? I have used the HDR settings from your link anthemized/Q95T-settings

For the SDR settings, should i use your other updated link anthemized/Q95T-settings ?
I want to make the same thing there, one for Movie and one for Film maker so i can compare.
When i look at your "favorites" which one of the two Film maker modes would you recommend?
I like smoth even picture, but also would like to use the brightness, not to much though, when we got a TV with good peak brightness if you know what i mean =)

Then i have the HDR och SDR for moves done.
I want to have Standard mode for the sports, often watch football (Soccer).
And i play a lot Playstation 4, waiting for the PS5, so i would like to have a gread SDR and HDR settings there in game mode. i will try to get them right also now.

Sorry for many questions, but so happy to have came a cross you, a professional calibrater and i want to max out the best settings for the TV and console =)
Again, many many thanks for your help. Priceless!

Ps. just checked content at Disney + and there the Film maker mode is awesome, no grain as it is for some Netflix movies and the brightness i better. The Movie mode is more darker on Disney + then Netflix, so there the Film maker mode is better =D
HDR night is for night ambiant condition , that is no light. if you feel that HDR1000 is too punchy in evening this is normal , this should be used only in daylight.
if you want punchier night HDR setting , try the HDR550 one.
For SDR settings use the same page ,
between my *** favorites in filmmaker , this is only a matter of taste and ambiant light. if your room is dark even in daylight , keeping a gamma 2.4 setting is ok , if you think it is too dim , go for the next one that is brighter.
they are ordered by max brightness (nit).
if you like a good peak of brightness , BT1886 ones are the way to go , since they push the white a bit higher than normal.

well i m not pro , i m just fond of tv sets calibration :).
I use also disney+ and on mandalorian HDR , i found that their black point is a bit too high so i set a -1 on shadow to correct it. in fact some films have differents calibration settings , and we may find some that need a slight adjustement to be perfect.

I use mainly the movie night settings, and if m watching by daylight, the filmmaker one.

for gaming , in HDR in game mode : the main idea is to have the max nit with correct curve , so i keep the 50/38 setting (HDR max nit ), then i put contrast enhancer in game mode setting to 5, activate game motion flow , and then i play with shadow setting to adjust the black point if necessary (example -3 for assassin creed on PC).

HDR games are prettier if you don't use game mode , but you have to accept latency; and last important thing is to try to keep a refresh rate at 50Hz, it is easy on PC but not on consoles.

Chr1zz3

Novice Member
HDR night is for night ambiant condition , that is no light. if you feel that HDR1000 is too punchy in evening this is normal , this should be used only in daylight.
if you want punchier night HDR setting , try the HDR550 one.
For SDR settings use the same page ,
between my *** favorites in filmmaker , this is only a matter of taste and ambiant light. if your room is dark even in daylight , keeping a gamma 2.4 setting is ok , if you think it is too dim , go for the next one that is brighter.
they are ordered by max brightness (nit).
if you like a good peak of brightness , BT1886 ones are the way to go , since they push the white a bit higher than normal.

well i m not pro , i m just fond of tv sets calibration :).
I use also disney+ and on mandalorian HDR , i found that their black point is a bit too high so i set a -1 on shadow to correct it. in fact some films have differents calibration settings , and we may find some that need a slight adjustement to be perfect.

I use mainly the movie night settings, and if m watching by daylight, the filmmaker one.

for gaming , in HDR in game mode : the main idea is to have the max nit with correct curve , so i keep the 50/38 setting (HDR max nit ), then i put contrast enhancer in game mode setting to 5, activate game motion flow , and then i play with shadow setting to adjust the black point if necessary (example -3 for assassin creed on PC).

HDR games are prettier if you don't use game mode , but you have to accept latency; and last important thing is to try to keep a refresh rate at 50Hz, it is easy on PC but not on consoles.

Thanks for you reply.
I will test the settings =)
Want to run game mode to get lowest input lag as you can imagine, but.. i didn`t use it on my old tv and worked. But i want to feel and test the difference. In multiplayer FPS games i want the lowest input lag and the focus in these games is not detail graphics, but fast moving objekts and so =D
But i will test the HDR settings without Game mode on the games i can to see the difference.
Will be a more impact when i get my PS5, sometime next year... RAGE

What values do you run with regarding Game Motion Plus? Blur and Judder Reduction, when it it 30 och 60 FPS, what type of game do you use different values? =)

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Hisense TVs get Disney+ on VIDAA smart OS
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Astell&Kern launches entry level SR25 MKII portable music player
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG rumoured to release 97-inch OLED TV in 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Blu-ray (UK) for Halloween 2021