Switch with Hdmi over cat6

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by fraserd007, Jan 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. fraserd007

fraserd007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, im having a few problems regarding a setup. I have a Sony a1 tv installed in a bedroom with the sky and apple tv in a data cupboard remotely my plan was to install a 4in1 out hdmi switch and 1 x hdmi over cat6 unit out to the tv with IR, i can then control the hdmi switch via the ir and switch between apple tv and sky, but its just not happening and tech support for allegedly quality products is just non existent.
    I am using a cablesson hdbaseT over cat 6 extender and a Vorke HD41 switch. When I plug sky or apple tv directly into the cablesson it works perfect and so does the Ir control. When i bring the switch into play i get nothing at all and the Ir will not work to turn the switch over.
    I was getting increasingly frustrated as said before tech support was crap and the manual basic to say the least.
    Has anyone come across this problem? any pointers? im happy to get another hdmi switch aslong as i know it works. Many thanks in adavance.

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,555
    The 4x1 Switch is likely not seeing an active Display on its Output when you have the Extender in the System - if both items came from one Supplier they ought to confirm they will work as required.

Another possibility being that the Switch appears to be inserting its own EDID into the signal path with no option to customise it - you have no way to know for sure what it is doing with the Comms signals.

Which version of SKY and ATV do you have?

Joe

3. fraserd007

fraserd007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, many thanks for the reply. I see so the switch would have to sense an active display on its outgoing hdmi port and maybe the cat6 convertor is not giving it this. Unfortunately they didnt come from the same supplier the switch does have EDID built into it and i did try it with it on and off but to no avail (well at least i thought i turned it off as the manual is not very informative)
    this is the specification of the switch
    [HK Stock] VORKE HD41 Pro [email protected](4:4:4) 10 Bit 4x1 HDMI Switcher with IR Remote HDCP2.2 ARC 18Gbps HDR Optical Out HDMI2.0b Auto Switch for Xbox One 360 PS3 PS4 PS4 Pro HDTV Blu-ray Player DVD Player etc
    And this is the hdmi over cat6
    https://www.cablesson.co.uk/catalogue/extenders/hdbaset/hdelity-hbt-rs232/

The ATV is the latest 4k and the Sky is just a SkyHD box

4. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,278
    Does the Switch work on its own if you plug it directly into the TV. I realise that might not be ideal for your setup but just to test to eliminate it.

It could be the switch is faulty?

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,555
    HDMI Switch - yes not all units will operate if they are not sensing an Active Display on the Output side of the Switch and not all Extenders will be properly passing the EDID from the Display back to the device(s) connected to the Transmitter end of the Extender set.

SKY HD - ought to be simple enough.

ATV 4K - could be defaulting to an UHD signal at 60/50Hz which your Extender is unlikely to support.

Joe

6. fraserd007

fraserd007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers for the replies chaps, i will try the switch on its own and see what happens. Thanks