Switch v9.0.1: Setting up kids accounts; local users required to link to Nintendo Account?

Jimmy2239

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I just bought a Nintendo Switch (the new model w/ the longer battery life), and so I'm new to all this. The purpose is for me to have family use it, so I figured I'd set up an account for myself and each family member. I've created a Nintendo account and linked it, and even bought the Family plan ($35/yr, not sure that is needed now) and I just want to create local accounts for kids and guests.

But when I add an account, and then I get to a screen that says "You can now link a Nintendo Account. Once an account has been linked, you will be unable to link this user data to a different Nintendo Account.". The two options are "Link a Nintendo Account" and "Later". (see attached pic).

I don't want to create online accounts at this point for everyone else, just want local play, so I click "Later". But when opening a game, it asks what user to use, I click on the new one, then the same screen comes up wanting me to link to a Nintendo account, except instead of "Later" it says "Cancel"...so I see no way around this; is Nintendo actually forcing a Nintendo account be created for guests/kids; etc.

Note: I've spent hours researching this, and it seems like Nintendo must have made a change at some point. This site shows the screen shots of each step:
But in step 9: "Choose between adding a Nintendo Online account to your new account or select Later", I do not have the "Create Account" button (which likely meant: "Create Local Account".).

Thanks for your help...

Attachments

• 2019-10-20 - New user.JPG
    2019-10-20 - New user.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 67
Hi everyone, no replies after two days....did I put this question in the wrong forum section? Thanks...

Finally got round to having a look. I created a new user, chose not to link. Started a game, selected the new user, and the game launched no problem.

I’ve got a local account on my Switch which is offline. It’s never asked me to add an online account when I play on it unless I try to go online.

Maybe OP has ‘sign in automatically’ applied to that account?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom