switch to toggle TV speakers and headphones

Videoman81

Novice Member
Ok, I have a TV with a headphone jack, but it is in the back and rather hard to plug in and out. I have a fear of breaking the jack at some point. But I end up using the jack all the time so others don't hear the TV. Once you plug it in, it automatically disables the built-in TV speakers.

What I am wondering: is there a switch where I could disable the headphones without having to unplug them from the TV and the speakers on the TV get enabled? I have seen some around for switching between two different sets of headphones (or something that uses the 3.5mm jack you have plugged in, could be another set of speakers) but I doubt they will reenable the built in TV speakers even if the switch was set on a jack that had nothing plugged in, or would it?

If there is a way to do this please do let me know. I don't see any option for this in the TV's settings.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
I think you would need an external sound bar or speaker plug into TV as well.

If this was on the optical output, you could have both the headphones and sound bar plugged in permanently and just use the volume controls to set the level to each device

Can't see a way of doing this with the internal speaker without modifying the tv.

Videoman81

Novice Member
Yes I was afraid of that. :/ Hmm it does have a optical audio out. If I understand correctly, if I get an adapter I could have 3.5 headphones plugged into that and switch between the built in speakers and the optical output to the headphones? (looks like they are called a DAC).

If so, what would be the best (well cheapest and still work well) option? Anything I should look for when getting such an adapter or do they pretty much all work the same? I did read on one that it might not work with Netflix or youtube? That surprises me since this is just the audio line?

Last edited:

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Just make sure it can handle multichannel audio streams, as some tvs cannot switch the output to pcm stereo and some dacs will only decode stereo, not 5.1.

I think this is what you need: SOUTHSKY 5.1CH DAC Converter, Audio Decoder, Digital to Analog,Optical Coaxial Toslink to 6 RCA 3.5mm Jack, Support Dolby AC-3 DTS PS4 Amazon product

JayCee

Distinguished Member
What brand and model of TV is it?
There are certain LG (and other brands) models that switch off the Optical if the audio output is set to TV speakers.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Can't you unplug the earphones when you only need to use the speakers.
Won't make any difference at the remote end of the cable as the plug at the TV end has already open-circuited the internal speaker connections.

Videoman81

Novice Member
Ironically, I had looked at the Prozor DAC and it was the one that made me question the possible problems of using a DAC as this one mentions "might have some compatibility problems with Youtube or Netflix".

The southsky one looks good but I see it needs an amp as well? I also see this has an audio control knob. So I am guessing using a DAC disables the volume control on the TV entirely? That would be a problem considering I end up adjusting the audio a lot for certain movies etc (2 characters whispering and can't hear them, then LOUD explosions a few minutes later that will blast you across the room if you can't turn it down etc). Really annoying at times.

I took another look at the Prozor and it says "device homepage-system settings and sound" I am guessing this is for it's volume controls etc?

I was wondering if a 3.5mm speaker set would be a better option? I already have an extension cable for the headphones, plugging in a set of speakers into the extension would be easy (and save the port on the TV itself not to mention my sanity since it is hard to do). The problem is the 3.5mm speakers all seem to be USB powered now. Unless I want a cheap junk hockey puck type of speaker.

The TV is a older Samsung and doesn't have any USB ports it.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Separate control of headphone and speaker control will always be a compromise. We've used these Creative Audio mains powered speakers for years as desktop audio for my wife's pc and they have decent sound and a headphone out somewhere convenient. They are about 15 years old, so you might need to see what the current products offer. They have a 2nd Audio input on the back, so the green cable can be ignored. They will happily fill an average sized living room, but don't expect huge bass or dynamics..

It looks like something similar is still available.. Creative GigaWorks T20 Series II (2.0) Multimedia Speakers with BasXPort Technology Amazon product
20210815_190858.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom