Switch to the Switch?

steph746

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone. I have a Wii U system and thinking about upgrading to the Switch. My main concern is having to get all new games. Also, I like having the discs for games. Does the Switch allow for cartridges rather than downloading games? If it only has 32GB of space, how many games would that hold?

I'm also concerned about having the system being connected online all the time. Is it ok to not have it connected to online communities and just use it "locally"?

Also, I don't think I would use the system as a portable device. Would this be a waste? I'd like to just have it connected to the TV and "pop" in a game that my kids would use.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Everyone. I have a Wii U system and thinking about upgrading to the Switch. My main concern is having to get all new games. Also, I like having the discs for games. Does the Switch allow for cartridges rather than downloading games? If it only has 32GB of space, how many games would that hold?
It allows for carts, and you can also put in a micro SD card for extra on board storage

I'm also concerned about having the system being connected online all the time. Is it ok to not have it connected to online communities and just use it "locally"?
You'll need to update games and system firmware online, but I don't believe it requires an always online connection for using games (apart for online multiplayer)

Also, I don't think I would use the system as a portable device. Would this be a waste? I'd like to just have it connected to the TV and "pop" in a game that my kids would use.

Thanks in advance.

Not a waste at all, the switch looks great on the TV (it's how most of my playing was done when I owned one)

It allows for carts, and you can also put in a micro SD card for extra on board storage

You'll need to update games and system firmware online, but I don't believe it requires an always online connection for using games (apart for online multiplayer)

Not a waste at all, the switch looks great on the TV (it's how most of my playing was done when I owned one)

Thanks very much for your reply. So, the Switch only allows for digital downloads? I'm looking to get the Tokyo Olympics 2020 game:

It seems like there are a couple of purchase options...

How are the controllers for the Switch compared to the Wii U? I like how the Wii U uses the movements. Are the joy con controllers similar?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

Thank you for this. I like the looks of the Switch. Just to confirm though, would this be the best console to purchase now? (I don't want to get an outdated one)...

Lastly, I feel bad about leaving the WiiU behind. I prefer to have just one system (because I feel bad seeing a system not being used), but am debating either not getting the Switch or if I do get the Switch, selling the WiiU on ebay with the games we have for it.

Just feel like I'm starting from scratch...

Get the switch IMHO it blows the WiiU out of the water I Traded in my WiiU when the switch came out went into CEX and got cash then just put the extra to it plus there is some good deals on at the moment if you shop around, yeah the games can be pricey but they are worth it, also the switch pro controller is the best controller I have used in a long time easily my favourite one since the snes pad.. Get it you wont be disappointed

Get the switch IMHO it blows the WiiU out of the water I Traded in my WiiU when the switch came out went into CEX and got cash then just put the extra to it plus there is some good deals on at the moment if you shop around, yeah the games can be pricey but they are worth it, also the switch pro controller is the best controller I have used in a long time easily my favourite one since the snes pad.. Get it you wont be disappointed

Thanks. Are the Switch pro controllers the ones that come with the console (the red and blue ones)? Or are you suggesting that I purchase better ones?

Would you say $299 is a decent price for the console?

Thanks. Are the Switch pro controllers the ones that come with the console (the red and blue ones)? Or are you suggesting that I purchase better ones?

Would you say $299 is a decent price for the console?
No they are joycons so you can play two player games without having to purchase extra ones, the Pro controller is like a traditional pad like the xbox or ps4 pad, yeah 299 seems good howeber if you shop around I'm sure you might be able to get a better deal from Best buy or gamestop? I'm assuming your in the US

No they are joycons so you can play two player games without having to purchase extra ones, the Pro controller is like a traditional pad like the xbox or ps4 pad, yeah 299 seems good howeber if you shop around I'm sure you might be able to get a better deal from Best buy or gamestop? I'm assuming your in the US

Thanks. Yes, I am in the US. Best buy has the same price. I'll check other places as well.

We have the Wii U Sochi game and I will miss it :( No way to play it on the Switch? I thought I read about some adapter that works with a blu ray player...

Thanks. Yes, I am in the US. Best buy has the same price. I'll check other places as well.

We have the Wii U Sochi game and I will miss it :( No way to play it on the Switch? I thought I read about some adapter that works with a blu ray player...
Unfortunately no lol there is a lot of games on the WiiU that is out on the switch it is a very good console that I find myself playing more than my ps4 haha good luck with your bargain hunting

Unfortunately no lol there is a lot of games on the WiiU that is out on the switch it is a very good console that I find myself playing more than my ps4 haha good luck with your bargain hunting

Thanks. Would the remotes from the Wii U be compatible with the Switch or the Joy Cons are specific to the console?

I see. One thing holding me back is the availability of a decent football game. My kids love to play Madden '13 on the Wii U (even though it's pretty outdated). I see that there really isn't a football game available for the Switch. Is there any type of decent football game that I might be missing that could compare to Madden '13 on the Wii U?

I'd buy a Switch and keep the Wii-U, you don't get much money for selling a Wii-U now, and it does still have a handful of exclusive games that are amazing.

I see. One thing holding me back is the availability of a decent football game. My kids love to play Madden '13 on the Wii U (even though it's pretty outdated). I see that there really isn't a football game available for the Switch. Is there any type of decent football game that I might be missing that could compare to Madden '13 on the Wii U?
There's no decent football game on Switch sadly. EA decided not to support it. Even for FIFA Soccer they only supported as far as FIFA 19 - 20 is just the "Legacy" edition which is 19 with updated players and teams.

Does the OP mean "soccer" or "American football"?

As above, keep the Wii U. You're asking a whole load of questions that a quick google would have answered :).

To clarify, the Switch allows for carts and also digital downloads. Price-wise, there's not usually much in it but some people (like me) prefer the latter for convenience. You'll need a good micro SD card (128Gb at least) if you're planning on downloading anything. The eShop has loads of free demos which are always worth a go. You can also buy games from different countries, see the other thread.

All consoles will come with a dock and a set of joycons (which only differ by colour). You can get additional joycons (for 4 player Mario Kart etc), third party controllers and the very expensive Pro controller (which resembles an Xbox controller).

. You'll need a good micro SD card (128Gb at least) if you're planning on downloading anything.

No you don't it comes with 32gb internal memory i dint use a card for the first 6 months and i had a coupe of Nintendo first party games and 10 indies on there.

It depends on how big the games are but for the most part internal is fine initially.

No you don't it comes with 32gb internal memory i dint use a card for the first 6 months and i had a coupe of Nintendo first party games and 10 indies on there.

It depends on how big the games are but for the most part internal is fine initially.

Hmmm, I'd still get one anyway. Some cart games involve a whopping download and 32Gb fills up fast. But yeah, does depend on what games you go for, indies are generally much smaller.

They refer to Madden so clearly talking about American Football

I was always a big fan of the WiiU, good games and I actually really like the game pad controller. I‘d say the majority of my WiiU gaming has been handheld, except for the few games that don’t support that mode.

Got a Switch recently, as there are finally a few exclusive games I wanted to play. I‘m not interested in anything like Doom or Witcher as I have them on PC where they run much better (and if I want to play handheld, I can now stream to iPad with Steam). I won’t buy WiiU ports either, as they offer nothing new to me, I already have every WiiU exclusive I wanted to play. The Switch came with Mario Kart and as far as I can tell it is identical in every detail to the WiiU version except now you have to pay to play online.

I have to say the comfort of the Joycon controllers is terrible, handheld or in the little controller caddy, the sticks and buttons are small and fiddly, and handheld mode gives me instant hand cramps. I don’t even like the sticks as much as the sliders on the 3DS, they feel very loose and imprecise. I haven’t really felt like playing it much as it is so uncomfortable. The screen is clearly better than WiiU and I am sure games that push the hardware will look better. The key function to switch freely between TV and docked mode is very neat though. I suppose I will have to get a pro controler, although I am also unhappy that the WiiU pro controller doesn’t work, which is just pure Nintendo money grabbing as there is no technical reason why not.

So far, not exactly blown away by the Switch as a WiiU upgrade, I will definitely be keeping the WiiU for now. The saving grace is of course, the games, and I really like Fire Emblem Three Houses and Octopath Traveller, and looking forward to Animal Crossing next year.

Thank you for this. I like the looks of the Switch. Just to confirm though, would this be the best console to purchase now? (I don't want to get an outdated one)...

Lastly, I feel bad about leaving the WiiU behind. I prefer to have just one system (because I feel bad seeing a system not being used), but am debating either not getting the Switch or if I do get the Switch, selling the WiiU on ebay with the games we have for it.

Just feel like I'm starting from scratch...

The Switch was updated internally the same time when the Switch Lite was launched, so it won’t be outdated anytime soon, and I would choose it over the Xbox or PS4 currently.
Nintendo offer you choice, I had the original Switch and found it was great but I played handheld more, so I traded it in for the Switch Lite and I love it! I’ve been addicted to Luigi’s Mansion on it, it plays great!!

I also plan to get some big name titles for it next year, and I have a PS4 Pro and new 55” 4K OLED TV!

just make sure you get the updated model of Switch as it has a newer processor to increase battery life massively. You won’t regret getting one :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom