Switch to Sonos Arc or upgrade A/V + separates

thecrouch

Currently I have a Yamaha RXV481, with some Denon SYS2020 5.1's connected to it. I've just bought a PS5, and about to order an LG G1. Obviously, the A/V receiver I have doesn't support Dolby Atmos, nor [email protected], so an upgrade in this area is required.

I am having a hard time deciding between buying something like the Yamaha RXV6A and keeping my speakers, or getting a Sonos Arc + Sub + [eventually] 2 rears.

My living room is very small, and the layout forces the TV to go in the corner, so there is no real proper left/right split beside the TV, and the couch is not perpendicular to the TV (more at like a 45 degree angle to it), so the 4 outer speakers are not "square".

While everyone tells me that separates will always outdo a soundbar + sub, I am wondering if I'd really notice it given my room layout and the fact the speakers cannot be perfectly positioned.

The appealing thing to me with the Sonos is the wireless, but also the eARC + CEC (one remote), and the neat and tidiness of it (could get a neater TV unit if I don't have to have space for a receiver). My current TV only has ARC, so I have never really used the ARC + CEC feature as it's limited to 2.1 channel, and therefore the multi-remote setup has been driving me nuts. I tried a Harmony, but hated it.

But I am wondering if I'm mad. What are the thoughts here? Would the Yamaha RXV6A be a better buy? Is the single remote concept viable (i.e. is this reliable)? I'd also have Sky Q hooked up, and I'd be hoping to use that remote for everything.

Let me know your thoughts!

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
The receiver change won´t make any sense with those cheap horrendous Denon speakers and the so called subwoofer. So if you would buy the RX-V6A you could consider example passive soundbar. @AmericanAudio just commented on other thread they have few options. Then just add better quality subwoofer (~250£+) and add rears later. Example:

For the corner tv and 5.1 system to work more optimally you would bring the tv more out from corner so mains can be pushed more apart and couch would be facing tv. I doubt this is possible. Also it sounds Atmos would be quite tricky to get working optimally if you don´t have it like below, couch on other wall facing away from tv.

ht-speaker-arrangement-corner-set-up-jpg.11607

thecrouch

Thanks for the reply. Based on your response I am tempted to go with the Sonos system, but now need to weigh up if it's worth getting the Arc over the Beam.

Moving the sofa out to be directly in front of the TV is not an option, the room is too small for that.

AmericanAudio

AVForums Sponsor
Why would any sonos product be any different to a soundbar?

Dont be fooled into thinking it would be better because everyone talks about it, it won't! It could even be worse than what you currently have.

If you do go sonos, buy from somewhere that has a great returns policy.

thecrouch

Why would any sonos product be any different to a soundbar?

Dont be fooled into thinking it would be better because everyone talks about it, it won't! It could even be worse than what you currently have.

If you do go sonos, buy from somewhere that has a great returns policy.
Sorry, that's not what I meant by that.

The appeal of Sonos here over other soundbars is no wires and a pleasing aesthetic look. This is our main sitting room rather than a dedicated TV room.

It sounds like my current setup already isn't that great, so I may not lose much going for the convenience of a bar instead.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
'I am wondering if I'd really notice it given my room layout and the fact the speakers cannot be perfectly positioned' - your description of your room and room layout would suggest a stereo system is more viable than any of the 'surround' or 'immersive' options you are considering.

If there is no space either side of the TV to fit suitable loudspeakers (floor, stand or shelf mount) then some form of passive Speakerbar (driven by a Stereo amp or AVR) or Soundbar is possibly viable, assuming the sound is not too blocked by furniture (a pic of your current layout would be helpful).

If you connect your Source devices to your TV you can use Optical or HDMI Out to a suitable Stereo Amp+Speakerbar, Stereo Amp+Front LR Speakers, AVR (+ Front LR Speakers) or a Soundbar.

If your TV is eARC enabled then SONOS ARC is an option - though with your room/seating layout you are never going to get much in the way of surround or immersive effects.

Keep in mind dialogue is still 90%+ of what is important to enjoyable listening - your AVR is decent enough, the speaker system you have is pretty poor.

Joe

thecrouch

Hi @Joe Fernand ,

Here's a rough sketch of the room.

• Red line = TV
  • Blue boxes = current satellite positions
  • Orange box = current sub position
  • Green boxes = sofas
  • Other green thing = door
  • Blue lines = rough measurements of distances
Does this change anything?
rroomlayout.png

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
As per previous post I would aim too optimise based on your room/seating layout - adding a decent Front LR set of speakers (if you have space) would be my preference, either with your current AVR or you could replace it with a stereo amp with digital input.

If you prefer the 'Soundbar' format you could either retain the AVR and go with a passive stereo Speakerbar or as you suggest go with a Soundbar such as the SONOS ARC, though it is never going to deliver optimal surround or immersive audio.

Joe

Rabo1234

After having multiple AVR and speaker system I can with confidence say that the full sonos arc surround system is going to give you the 95 % of a full seperate 5.1.2 system. You cant seperate the front L and R which defeats the purpose of having seperates. The Sonos System will also give you a much better user experience and also a lot of firmware updates and it will last you at least 5 years before anything new comes up.

I highly recommend it.

thecrouch

After having multiple AVR and speaker system I can with confidence say that the full sonos arc surround system is going to give you the 95 % of a full seperate 5.1.2 system. You cant seperate the front L and R which defeats the purpose of having seperates. The Sonos System will also give you a much better user experience and also a lot of firmware updates and it will last you at least 5 years before anything new comes up.

I highly recommend it.
I went ahead and ordered the Arc + 2 One SLs.

I'll give that a go and if I want more bass I'll order a Sonos Sub.

Rabo1234

I went ahead and ordered the Arc + 2 One SLs.

I'll give that a go and if I want more bass I'll order a Sonos Sub.
Great! Usually there is good return policy on sonos products so no worries if it doesnot suit your needs.

make sure to run trueplay a few times to get the best results :)

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
'The Sonos System will also give you a much better user experience' - adding a Port to any AVR or Stereo Amp will deliver the same 'User Experience'.

'it will last you at least 5 years before anything new comes up' - most of my Zone Players are twice that age :)

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom