1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Switch solution to swap front and rear speakers?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by ms8qt, Jul 11, 2003.

1. ms8qt

ms8qt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I could really do with some help if poss!

Apart from my big install there is another room with a Sony Home Theatre (DVD/Amp all-in-one) unit.

My requirement...

To put a switch in between the speaker cables of the front/rear speakers and the main unit (Amp)

- When the switch is in position A then all works as normal.
    - When the switch is in position B then the front speakers become the rears and the rear speakers become the fronts!
    - it needs to be as cheap as poss too!

Any ideas really really appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mark.

2. themadhippy

themadhippy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you can solder how about a 4 pole double throw switch,(maplins code FH08J,£2.99) wired up something like this
    [​IMG]

3. ms8qt

ms8qt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply.

Well it's an option I guess but I was hoping there would be somethng I could buy that does that for me :)

Also, it would need to be an 8 pole switch (4 speakers x 2 wires) which would then mean that there would be 8 switches! Ideally I just want 1 switch...

4. themadhippy

themadhippy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    maybe not ,the negative outputs to each speaker are quite often conected together inside the unit(normally to the 0 volt rail).
    the olny 8 pole 2way switches i know of are like the rs components code 327-894 and 327-816

5. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you look at the part number TheMadHippy gave for Maplins, you will see that a 4 pole switch is ONE switch, which changes 4 contacts at once - i.e. 4 poles. Therefore it is only a single switch.

I can second his comment re neg outputs, too - no real need to them to be anything but connected back to ground. In fact, you could just connect the neg output from each spear terminal on the amp to both front and rear neg - switching the positive will be enough to move the signal.

HTH

6. ms8qt

ms8qt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, it's all starting to make more sense now - I think I'll be able to manage it myself :)

However, there is one thing that isn't 100% clear - in the above diagram there seem to be 8 wires going into the switch and 4 wires coming out of the switch (unless I've completely misinterpreted it...possible!). This makes sense but I could only see 8 legs on the switch on Maplin's website.

Can anyone clarify this?
    Thanks.
    Mark.

7. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    HArd to see, isn't it. I think you'll find that there are actually 12 connectors on the switch - 3 rows of 4.
    It is defined as a "changeover" switch - i.e. throwing the switch changes the connection from one to another, rather than just switching something off or on.

Also get yourself a nice little enclosure for it - look at AB28 on the Maplin site again - a cheap range of alu boxes.

If you wanted to be funky, I guess you could put speaker terminals/binding posts on the box for the connections to the speakers, but hardwire the short cable from amp to box.