Switch Lite : how to save a partial game and exit from it?

davidhk129

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a newbie in Nintendo Switch and Switch Lite.
I just got my Switch Lite today and I was playing a game. At one point, I wanted to save the game which was still in progress so that I could finish it later. But I cannot find the option to do so.
This is the only Nintendo console I have.
Thank you for showing me the way.

Last edited:
That would depend on the game, most games will save up to the last check point or just randomly saves as you progress whereas other games there’ll be an option in the games pause menu.

That would depend on the game, most games will save up to the last check point or just randomly saves as you progress whereas other games there’ll be an option in the games pause menu.
I only have one game.....Stitchy in Tooki Trouble, digital download.
Each time I open the game, it starts at the beginning. Never where I left off.
Thank you for replying.

Can't you just jump back to the Switch main menu directly from the game (single button press) and then put the switch into sleep mode? Then you can go back into the game and resume when you want.

This isn't the same as exiting the game itself and going back to the game main menu.

Can't you just jump back to the Switch main menu directly from the game (single button press) and then put the switch into sleep mode? Then you can go back into the game and resume when you want.

This isn't the same as exiting the game itself and going back to the game main menu.
Yes this is the most logical thing if there’s only one game as there shouldn’t be any need to close down the game completely.
Unless of course the OP is completely turning off the Switch each time which I wouldn’t advise, when you’ve finished playing just press the home button then the on screen power button.

Surely the game has save points, or some other mechanism to save progress, though?

Some games don't let you manually save whenever you like, though. We need the OP to tell us more. Something like Hollow Knight saves when you sit on a bench.

When I wanted to save game and exit, the only "close-enough" option was to press the + sign, and I would get this........
screenshot from nintendo.jpg

Clicking on "Settings" from that screen does not offer Save option.
Granted the issue is on the game software itself, not the console.

Last edited:
If you never need to swap games then just do what I said above and come out of the game to the switch menu via a single button press (which is not that screenshot above). Put the switch into sleep. Resume from sleep, click on the game and you're back in where you were. You never need to worry about "saving the game".

If you do need to swap games then you'll need to tell us which games you're playing. It looks from above that you're playing a game that has checkpoints which would trigger a save.

If you never need to swap games then just do what I said above and come out of the game to the switch menu via a single button press (which is not that screenshot above). Put the switch into sleep. Resume from sleep, click on the game and you're back in where you were. You never need to worry about "saving the game".

If you do need to swap games then you'll need to tell us which games you're playing. It looks from above that you're playing a game that has checkpoints which would trigger a save.
Yes, I can set the Sleep Mode and exit.
The problem is, since my 1st post, I have some other games installed.
Now, if I come back from sleep mode, and want to play a different game, the system will ask to close the one I am currently using. Meaning if I do that, I will have to start from scratch on my initial game.

I have not gone far enough playing to find out if there are "check points" in this game. I hope so.

Yes, I can set the Sleep Mode and exit.
The problem is, since my 1st post, I have some other games installed.
Now, if I come back from sleep mode, and want to play a different game, the system will ask to close the one I am currently using. Meaning if I do that, I will have to start from scratch on my initial game.

I have not gone far enough playing to find out if there are "check points" in this game. I hope so.

OK, yes, that sounds fine.

Can you tell us which game(s) you're playing? When you start it up from scratch again (if you're swapping between games), do you get a "Resume" option from the main menu?

But yes, some games have auto checkpoint saving, some games allow saving any time, and some games make you do stuff to trigger a save (e.g. Hollow Knight above).

I am not familiar with the phrase "swapping between games". (English is my 3rd language).
I have downloaded a FREE software named ..... Super Nintendo, Nintendo Switch Online. It has tons of games, all free, i.e. Super Mario World, Super Mario All-Stars, Zelda - A Link To The Past etc.
So, If I was playing a paid game, Stitchy in Tooki Trouble, and decided to exit and try some games from Nintendo Switch Online, I would have no choice but to close the Tooki game first before playing the other games.
The only Resume option I can see is from pressing the + button. (Post #8)

Last edited:
You can save games in the SNES and NES software at any point while playing a game – press ZL and ZR at the same time.

As for Stitchy in Tooki Trouble, when you’re on the map screen (i.e., not playing a level) what happens if you press B to go back?

Just watched a review of this Stitchy game (which very much looks like a clone of Donkey Kong Country Returns/Tropical Freeze), doesn’t it just automatically save progress as you complete each level which you then just use the map to navigate to the current level you’re on?

I am a lousy video gamer. I love playing but no good at it. I have yet to go further enough to find out if it has check points to save.
I have yet to complete a level. So, don't know if it will save automatically.
I think the best way to tackle this issue is to play on and see what comes.
Thank you everyone for helping me.

I have downloaded 3 games from eShop, Star Wars Jedi Outcast, Ravensword , and Mario & Rabbids.
Played Mario a bit and it did save my progress when I quit and returned to where I left off when I restarted the game.

I am a lousy video gamer. I love playing but no good at it. I have yet to go further enough to find out if it has check points to save.
I have yet to complete a level. So, don't know if it will save automatically.
I think the best way to tackle this issue is to play on and see what comes.
Thank you everyone for helping me.
If you haven’t finished a level yet what’s the issue? You won’t be losing much progress

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom