Switch game of the year 2018

Daft Ada

Distinguished Member
2018 has been quite a year for Switch, and now all the big releases are out and in our hands it's time to find out what's been the cream of the crop. Pop your top 5 down, I'll collate everyone's answers and score them accordingly (10 points for first, 8 for second etc) so we can crown a winner on December 31st. :)

I'll post mine in a bit, but to jog your memory, here's a short list of some of the major titles for each month (let me know if I miss anything obvious).

January
Celeste
Darkest Dungeon
Super Meat Boy

February
Bayonetta
Bayonetta 2
Dragon Quest Builders
Night in the Woods
Old Man's Journey
Owlboy
Payday 2

March
Kirby Star Allies

April
Football Manager 2018
Nintendo LABO variety kit
Nintendo LABO Robot kit
South Park Fractured But Whole

May
Battle Chasers: Nightwar
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
Hyrule Warriors
Ikaruga
Little Nightmares
Pokemon Quest
Street Fighter 30th Anniversary
Yoku's Island Express

June
Crash Bandicoot
Hollow Knight
Inside
Limbo
Lumines
Mario Tennis Aces
Paladins
Ys VIII Lacrimosa of Dana

July
Captain Toad Treasure Trackers
Octopath Traveller
Sonic Mania Plus

August
Dead Cells
Iconoclasts
Into the Breach
Monster Hunter Generations
Okami
Overcooked 2
The Messenger

September
Arena of Valor
Cities: Skylines
FIFA 19
Hyper Light Drifter
Little Dragon's Cafe
NBA 2K19
Nintendo LABO Vehicle kit
South Park Stick of Truth
Undertale
Valkyria Chronicles 4

October
Dark Souls: Remastered
Disgaea 1 Complete
Jackbox Party Pack 5
Mega Man 11
Starlink Battle for Atlas
Super Mario Party
The World Ends With You
Valthirian Arc

November
Civilisation VI
Diablo 3
Football Manager 2019
Pokemon Let's Go
Valiant Hearts
Warframe
World of Final Fantasy Maxima

December
Carcassone
Everspace
Firewatch
Gear Club Unlimited 2
Gris
Katamari Damacy
Roller Coaster Tycoon
Smash Bros Ultimate

IamMarcoos

I’ll have to check, but it seems I’ve only bought one game that came out this year!

The game in question is Mario Tennis Aces, so by default it’s my game of the year. It’s alright, but not what I’d class as game of the year :D

Must set myself a new year resolution to try and play some more from the pile of shame, rather than the old favourites!

D

Deleted member 702178

Not on your list but mine is Mini Metro. A really underrated little puzzle game and perfect for handheld play.

A close second is Dead Cells.

Daft Ada

Distinguished Member
I’ll have to check, but it seems I’ve only bought one game that came out this year!

The game in question is Mario Tennis Aces, so by default it’s my game of the year. It’s alright, but not what I’d class as game of the year :D

Must set myself a new year resolution to try and play some more from the pile of shame, rather than the old favourites!

You've still got 247 hours left this year to play through a few more games :laugh:

Daft Ada

Distinguished Member
So my top 5 is:

1 - Smash Bros Ultimate - It really is the Ultimate Smash Bros game! The lack of trophies, extra modes like homerun and break the target, and stage builder are disappointing but everything else about this game is so highly polished it's easy to forget what they culled to focus on the core features. Almost infinite amount of replayability, I can see this taking up many hours of my time for years to come.

2 - Ys VIII - I only got into the Ys series recently but it's already become one of my favourite RPG series ever. Ys VIII is a fantastic entry, with a huge amount of content and a gripping story. Highly recommended for RPG fans.

3 - Octopath Traveller - The best new IP of 2018 on any console, SquareEnix really knocked it out of the park. Gorgeous visuals, stunning soundtrack, and eight incredible stories to play through. I can't wait to see the next installment.

4 - Diablo 3 - I never got into the Diablo games on PC, but this port has definitely got me hooked. I can understand how people get so utterly addicted to these games. So much loot, so little time. Four-player couch co-op has never felt so good.

5 - Football Manager 2018 - My most played game of 2018. Would probably win my award for most unexpected Switch release too. Fantastic port that offers everything you get in the tablet versions, and the mix of touch-screen and buttons becomes second nature really quickly. FMT 19 improves upon this in nearly every way, but I plumped for this version because of the many hours I've sunk into it.

Just missed out:
Hyrule Warriors
Cities: Skyline
Yoku's Island Express
Into the Breach
Mario Tennis Aces

W90WBA

Pokemon Go for me as only game I’ve really played this year as catching up on a lot of games from last year mainly

harpsmatt

Mine would probably be:

1. Octopath Traveler
2. Gris
3. Into the Breach
4. Transistor
5. West of Loathing

Narrowly missing out: Let's Go Eevee, Mark of the Ninja Remastered and Banner Saga

2 - Ys VIII - I only got into the Ys series recently but it's already become one of my favourite RPG series ever. Ys VIII is a fantastic entry, with a huge amount of content and a gripping story. Highly recommended for RPG fans.
I really want to get this, never played a Ys game, but not been able to find it for a decent price so far.

D

Deleted member 702178

Struggling to get into Octopath Traveler. Some of the dialog (of which there is a lot) is very cringe worthy at times. The complete randomness of battles gets on my nerves and it's very repetitive.

HMTB

I only bought 3 games this year, so my top 3 for 2018 are as follows:

1. Fifa 19 (top so far by play time)
2. Super Smash Bros Ultimate
3. Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze

Daft Ada

Distinguished Member
Any more votes? :)

Currently we have Dead Cells and Smash Bros on top with 18 pts, Octopath in third with 16 pts, Diablo 3 fourth with 14 pts and four games tied fifth on 10 pts (Mario Tennis, Mini Metro, Pokemon Go & FIFA 19)

D

Deleted member 702178

I got a few games for Xmas which would have changed my vote but I won't complicate things lol.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom