Switch from O2 to Sky now or when I move?

Discussion in 'ISPs & The Internet' started by Flashy, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Flashy

Flashy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,145
    Hopefully moving house in a few weeks. Currently have TV from Sky, phone with BT and Internet with O2. Was going to transfer all to the new address, but reconsidering now O2 will be Sky anyway.

Happy to have everything from Sky. Question is, do I switch now (or ASAP, at least), and then move the lot as one when I move. Or, do I terminate existing contracts for when I move, and start afresh with Sky broadband/phone when I move? Most important factor is lack of downtime, and that's why I'm asking, really.

I hope I've explained that okay... Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Could be semi-irrelevant as can only get Sky Broadband Connect at both current and new address. I'd rather have BT. So, question still stands, but is now should I switch BB provider now, or wait until moving day? No experience of this, so hope someone can help.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,552
    I have Sky+HD, broadband from O2 for the last 3 yrs and have always had my telephone rental and calls from BT.
    Although I've been reasonably happy with O2 having had no downtime or interruption whatsoever during that time I've decided to leave as BT's FTTC fibre is now available from my local exchange and I've signed up to it.
    Although I was on O2's "up to 16Mb" service I could never get any faster than 3Mb d/stream and the BT linecheck suggests I'll get 53Mb on their "Infinity up to 76Mb unlimited" service and it's getting installed a week on Monday.
    I phoned O2 and requested my MAC and just explained my reasons for leaving and got my MAC emailed within the hour.

As my BT telephone package was £33 per month for their "Unlimited Anytime" calls+ rental and O2 BB was £7 I'll be paying roughly the same for the BT Infinity service although I've dropped the unlimited anytime calls and have gone to their "unlimited evening and weekends" package instead with my wife and I promising to use more of our mobile's minutes during daytime.
    If you decide to go for the BT fibre service you can pick the day of installation from dates offered.

3. Flashy

Flashy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,145
    Thanks, but not sure i explained myself properly.

I will be leaving O2 for broadband, almost certainly now for BT, due to the Sky network area issue. No Infinity where I am, so it'll be normal broadband.

Trying to work out whether to time the switching of providers with the house move (ie, cancel O2 and set up new BB account with BT for moving date), or whether to switch now, before I move, and then deal with moving/transfer in a couple of months when the house move happens.

I'll go for whatever has less room for error or downtime, as that's more important than the couple of quid it'll cost if I do it before I move. Does that all make sense?! :)