Question Switch from iOS(IPhone X) to Android (Mate 20 Pro)?

NooBish AbbZ 92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen; for the last few days I keep on having a nagging feeling of moving from Apple to a Mate 20 Pro after hearing so much hype about it.

Now, my issues. I love iOS; I love how it just, works. I know that my iPhone is going to work exactly how I want it to. I like when things are standardised, which again is a benefit to staying with apple, IMO.

I tried android a few years ago, I didn’t like the bloatware, I felt like I had 2 apps for photos, 2 apps for text messages and then 2 others for Facebook messenger, 3 folders for my files, etc etc.

I was on Android for 6 months, admittedly FAR from a flagship device but I hated the entire experience, i’m hoping it has improved since.

My main pulls toward Mate 20 pro are the camera; i’m On an iPhone X now, and on sim-only contract of £20 a mo th unlimited data so i’d be buying outright.

Of course, i’ve Watched lots of reviews on YouTube but value your advice

As I'm a lady, would you like my view??? (LOL!).

I have recently moved from an iPhone X to Samsung S9 Plus.

I was Apple through and through and thought I'd never move from them (I'e had iPhones since the 3G!).

But I was getting bored with the iOS, so sold the iPhone X.

Have had S9+ for 3 weeks and absolutely love it. I also sold the Apple Watch and have the Samsung Galaxy Smartwatch, and again love it.

Everything works, and it's like a breath of fresh air.

Sorry I can't comment on the Mate 20 pro but I don't regret my move.

I was in the exact same position as you a couple of years ago, I had an iPhone 7 Plus and wanted to try Android, so I bought a S7, which at the time was the latest and greatest from Samsung. I did like parts of it like the customisation and the fact I could install whatever I wanted on it, but there were certain other little things that I missed from my iPhone, such as iMessage and FaceTime.

At the time my wife was in another country so we video called on skype and I was using my S7 to do that(but still had my iPhone). Anyway when I called her the first thing she said was”are you using that Samsung phone, the video quality is awful, use your iPhone is much clearer”.

There was that, and then other little things like when my SIM card was in the S7 I got like double the amount of cold callers for some reason, it was literally everyday a random number from a random location would call me, where as when my SIM card was in the iPhone I rarely get cold callers, maybe once a week or once every 2 weeks if that.

Another one was typing, on the S7 I was constantly miss-typing words, never happens on the iPhone.

And then I had to tell everyone who didn’t have WhatsApp to install that otherwise if I text or send a picture it’ll go via a normal text and I’ll be charged.

Scrolling on webpages etc is not as smooth as iPhone.

I could go on..... needless to say I went back to the iPhone and sold the S7. The grass isn’t always greener on the other side!

My experience anyway!

My experience anyway!

thanks for chipping in :) I was doing some research today and saw that Huawei have a P30 series live stream happening on Tuesday, so I'll see if anything comes of that. A few colleagues at work have the Mate 20 pro so i'm going to chat to them at some point. FWIW< i very rarely use facetime and messages/imessages. Everything's whatsapp now :)

thanks for chipping in :) I was doing some research today and saw that Huawei have a P30 series live stream happening on Tuesday, so I'll see if anything comes of that. A few colleagues at work have the Mate 20 pro so i'm going to chat to them at some point. FWIW< i very rarely use facetime and messages/imessages. Everything's whatsapp now :)

That’s good for you then, but those two things were just a couple of the issues I had with Android. Go ahead and try it for yourself I say.

But if I were you I’d try and keep your iPhone aswell, don’t sell it until you’ve been using the Android phone for a few weeks at least.

I'm thinking of doing the same and giving up my iphone X and getting a S9+ from QVC, using it for a few weeks and if i cant get on with it sending it back to QVC and getting my money back.
Bit fed up with Apple, been with them since iphone 4

I can't comment on moving from iOS as I've never owned an IPhone but I'll be getting my mate 20 pro tomorrow (assuming DPD don't screw it up again) so I'll give you my thoughts on it.
I'd recommend you try and use an android phone for a few days if possible. Order online or over the phone so you having the returns period. I used to work for a phone network and it was common for people to try and make the switch but end up returning it and going back to what they are used to.

One thing that may help is huawei's custom skin tends to ape iOS as the Asian market seem to like it so you may find it easier to get on with than other android phones.

I used to be all in with Apple, but I got bored of iOS around the time the Samsung S7 came out so I switched to the S7 Edge. I was pretty happy with the change and liked Android so last year I moved over to the Huawei P20. As far as phones go it was the best decision I ever made. A much better handset and operating system to the Samsung and user experience is definitely comparable, if not better, than iOS.
There are a couple of things I'm not happy with on my P20 though which are the lack of wireless charging and the removal of the headphone jack. I'll be watching the P30 launch on Tuesday to see what that brings as I will upgrade if the rumours are true of these being added back in.

Had iPhone from original up until 6+ ,tried changing to android a few times but always kept my iPhone. And always switched back Wasnt until I got rid of iPhone, and I was forced to use Android exclusively that I got it.
Been on android exclusively for nearly 3 years, and have no desire to go back now.

I used to be all in with Apple, but I got bored of iOS around the time the Samsung S7 came out so I switched to the S7 Edge. I was pretty happy with the change and liked Android so last year I moved over to the Huawei P20. As far as phones go it was the best decision I ever made. A much better handset and operating system to the Samsung and user experience is definitely comparable, if not better, than iOS.
There are a couple of things I'm not happy with on my P20 though which are the lack of wireless charging and the removal of the headphone jack. I'll be watching the P30 launch on Tuesday to see what that brings as I will upgrade if the rumours are true of these being added back in.
The OS and General Android system is my biggest concern. Hardware-wise i'm very impressed by the Mate 20 pro, but when i last used Android it was far from perfect. I'm aware you can get Nova Launcher i think it was called and there's lots of options and skins and stuff. That doesn't really bother me, I like to keep my stuff pretty uniform anyway, but as long as it works well/snappy/accurately then hopefully all will be well.

I'm going to see what comes out of the press-conference on Wednesday and at that point, most likely look to pick up a Mate 20 Pro, while keeping my iPhone X to swap back to until I make a decision on which i prefer :)

Fortunately my iPad is an Air 1(read, old AF) and when looking at apple watches last year I decided to buy a Fitbit so i'm not actually 'bought into' the Apple Eco-system at all.

Huawei definitely has the best version of Android that I've found so far, I've used Samsung, Alcatel and Motorola previously, but I personally think the Huawei system is much slicker.

So I just got my mate 20 pro today and I really like it. I don't really understand what people don't like about EMUI, other than huaweis bloatware. Even that you can just hide away, takes 2mins.
It's lightning fast, the screen is lovely, the phone clone app for set up is great and that camera... You really need to try it. The super macro mode is brilliant with the wide angle lens. Example attached.

It also charges amazingly fast, easily as fast as my one plus 5, which is saying something.
I really need to get a case for it. I. Hesitant to take it out until I do, it doesnt feel like it would take kindly to even a small drop (build quality is excellent, its just a lot of glass).
Oh and the face unlock is brilliant. I had to get my partner to try as I was suspicious at how fast it was. It works a treat.
So far I'm really impressed :)

Attachments

• IMG_20190325_203705.jpg
    IMG_20190325_203705.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 42
SO, i had a play with a girl('s phone) at work; she has the mate 20 pro. It's bigger than i was expecting. I had an iPhone 6S+ before my iphone X and when moving to the X i wondered why on earth did i have the brick that was the 6S+ for so long. IMO, the X is the perfect size for a phone. She was showing me some pictures from her trip to Cornwall last week and i was blown away by the pictures :(

See what happens in the release/stream tomorrow :)

I think it also depends what other devices you have and the level of integration you expect. When I was mugged out of my iPhone X in December I went vanilla Android. And for a while I thought it was great. But then the newness wore off and I started to notice little things you take for granted. Like the way 2FA integrates on iOS, or the tap at the top to scroll up, or the difference in quality of apps like a simple currency converter or telegram or or or. Just so much slicker on iOS. And then there was contacts, I add them on my Mac and it takes ages to sync to android and requires additional software to use standard caldav and carddav protocols. Photos that don't automatically synchronise. No handoff from phone to desktop/laptop, no shared copy/paste. And I could go on and on and on.

It really misses the polish and the finer details.

So since last Sunday I'm back on an iPhone X :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom