1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Switch from 5.1 to 6.1/7.1 - worth it?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by simon1967, May 9, 2003.

1. simon1967

simon1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Installing rears at the moment and am undecided whether to go full 7.1. How many have made the switch and has it really made a huge difference. What speakers did you use for the surrounds - monos/bipoles/dipoles/tripoles?

Thanks

simon

2. Rolo Tomasi

Rolo Tomasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I changed from 5.1 to 6.1 when I upgraded my receiver in February. My main reason was to take full advantage of DTS ES, DD EX, Neo 6 and L7. Since doing so, I have to admit that I am yet to be fully convinced that it was worth it.

There are still relatively few dvds with ES and EX and, although they can be 'imposed' on a 5.1 recording, my earlier comment still stands.

I think that any real benefit will depend upon the size of your room, the layout of your system and the spacing of your surround speakers. Try before you buy if possible.

My surrounds are Mission M7ds and the single surround back speaker is a Kef Egg (all I could have according to my better half).

3. damtom1

damtom1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a Denon 3802 and added two more m7ds,as surround backs(centre rears),a while ago.IMO,it was well worth it.There are only a few dedicated ex/es disc available,but i thought the extra speakers really added to the enveloping sound from the rear.My room is not too big,only15ft x 12ft,i dont think room size is that important.If the speakers are placed correctly,the effect will be just as good.
    Plus,once all the speakers and the wiring are in place,you'll be ready for any other upgrades that you might like.I,d definately go for it....if you've got the 6.1 facility,why not use it!