Question Switch for many-to-many HDMI over IP

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by menominee, Apr 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. menominee

menominee
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hallo all, this is my first post on avforums. I hope I could get some advice. OK, let me explain what I am trying to achieve.

My uncle’s house has 7 TV/projectors/Monitors at various locations of the house, each has ethernet sockets nearby. All 7 sockets have Cat6 ethernet cabling to a 24-port gigabit switch.

He has at least 6 media sources (2 desktops, 2 satellite TV box, 1 Wii, 1 BlueRay), he wants to view any of the 6 sources at any of the 7 display terminals. I know there are many HDMI switches, but that will require him to do the HDMI cabling.

I read some articles/devices about HDMI over IP, however, most of them capable of doing point-to-point or point-to-many video transmission, as described in page 2 in the following link.

https://www.networktechinc.com/pdf/ip-hdmi-lc.pdf

The link above does cover a many-to-many connection, but as you can see, the switch is controlled by a switch configuration console, which requires a laptop to "conveniently" operate with. I am wondering if there is any switch product that would come with a handy GUI interface console, ideally I could operate with a smartphone? Thus, I could switch between video sources of each display terminal with a smartphone app.

Another question will be the Ethernet network in my uncle’s house was originally intended for internet, but given we use it for video/audio signal transmission, can we switch the internet at the same time? Or I have to do another Ethernet network, as well as a separate switch?

Thanks in advance!

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,287
    HD over LAN - there are various architectures (some use VLAN some use Multicast). The architecture, processing chip, speed of the network will all dictate how much image compression the system will apply to your Source signals which in turn dictates how visible (or not) the processing is to you.

Lan - ideally you have no other network traffic on the LAN you are running video over otherwise you get more dynamic compression.

Switch - potentially each 'vendor' will have a preferred switch or range of which they can best help you configure. Some offer Configuration tools for a wider range of Switch but usually charger for the configuration tool.

Control - iRule (or its Pro variant On Controls) allows a DIY'er to create iOS or Android pages to control all manner of devices, including a Network switch being utilised for HD over LAN.

Control - where your HD over LAN systems utilises multi-cast you potentially have a lot more options in terms of controlling other hardware without lots of additional interface products, the Zone Receivers for example can pass RS232 to a connected Display.

Control - some HD over LAN solutions do support Routed IR which can provide a low cost way to control Source and Destination switching plus the Sources.

Audio - is often an area folk get caught out on when planning a multi zone system.

Happy to go over your plans in more detail.

Joe

3. menominee

menominee
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Joe,

Thanks for the tips.

I looked again for "HDMI over LAN" and I found the product bundle like this (link) could fit what I situation, however, the only drawback is the gigabit switch is still controlled by a PC web interface, and not convenient enough.

I also looked into the iRule website, and I figured out how it works out. My question would be how to combine the HDMI over IP/LAN network I found above and the iRule remote control?

I figured out how to use iRule to control my video source devices via WiFi & smartphone app, but the switch is still not accessible from iRule. I feel somehow I still need a switch that comes a genetive user interface friendly to the smartphones. Does this kind of switch exist?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,287
    HD over LAN - have a look at our solutions:

HD DSX (Octava HDMI Matrix over LAN)

and

Pro DSX (PRO DSX 4K UHD over LAN - Video Matrix Switch . Video Wall Processor).

IRule (On Controls) - for the HD DSX, which is VLAN based, it is relatively simple to control the Gigabit switch from your iOS/Android devices, we use/recommend the CISCO SG300 Series switch.

iRule (On Controls) - with our Pro DSX, which is multi-cast, you control the individual Zone Receivers rather than the Gigabit Switch, again pretty straightforward.

Global Cache - some systems will, depending on what you are aiming to achieve, require one or more GC iTach devices to bridge between your wired/wireless network and the gear you want to control.

Crestron - is another 'Control' option we work with quite often, though this time it is not DIY and has to be undertaken by a certified Integrator/programmer.

Joe

5. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Have you considered HDMI over Cat5/6 HDBaseT solution rather than HDMI over IP.

This would use a central HDBaseT Matrix with your sources connect to it via HDMI and then distribute the video signal to each TV/projector over a single cat5/6 cable. Where a receiver would convert the signal back to HDMI. This option also supports IR for control of the sources , but can also be integrated with something like Irule but we prefer Simple Control (formerly Roomie) on Ipad/Tablet etc

Matrixes come in various sizes though in your case a 8x8 seems the most appropriate

Professional 8X8 HDBaseT Matrix with 8 Receivers - 4K2K Version

6. menominee

menominee
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The HD DSX solution might suit my project better.
    I do have a question, on webpage you posted, it mentions "Control Options : The HDDSX-MX can be controlled via tablet , standalone keypad or PC running our control program. Choose as you need:".
    When looking at the diagram, a wireless router was connected to the gigabit switch. Is the smartphone interface controlling the "HDDSX-8TX" directly or via the switch?

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,287
    With the HD DSX you control the Switch - the switch has one port connected to your wired (or wireless) LAN or you control it via RS232 using one of the GC iTach devices.

Joe

8. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Ok, though generally HDBaseT is a better solution unless you absolutely have to run HDMI over IP.

9. menominee

menominee
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the tip.
    Looked into the product, not familiar with the HDBaseTprotocol. Can you be more specific in which way it is a better solution? Like more stable or more compatible for future protocol update?

Also have to say the cost of the product is quite high for my budget...

10. menominee

menominee
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got it.
    In this case does the switch have to be a proprietary switch or any gigabit switch would fit?

11. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    HDBaseT is a lossless none compressed system which supports full HD multichannel audio over a single cat5/6 cable, with POE and 2 way IR support.

In essence it is the same as using a HDMI cable but converted to Cat6.

12. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,287
    'In this case does the switch have to be a proprietary switch or any gigabit_switch would fit?' - any Switch will work, the trick is knowing how to configure and select the required VLAN.

We provide a configuration tool for the CISCO SG300 - which makes it nice and simple to setup.

If you wish to use a.n.other Switch and know how to configure and control the VLAN that will work too.

As Seb says HDBT has some advantages over HD over LAN - buy also some drawbacks (cost being one).

Joe

13. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    We also supply a HDMI over IP solution but mainly for commercial environments and if you were to go that route I would recommend Joe's over ours

Seb