Switch Component Output Between Plasma and PJ

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Monster, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Monster

Monster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I'm looking for a way to switch the output from my Denon amps component output to either my Projector or (possibly soon to be aquired ;) ) plasma.

I don't mind if its a manual switch and don't want to spend too much. I don't need to split the signal so it is simultaneously output to both display devises, as I will only be using one or the other.

Can anyone recommend something that works for them???

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,126
    Monster

Not easy - well it is but you'll have to splash out near £250.00 on a distribution amp.

Also how long will the longest cable run be?

Best regards

Joe

PS Which Plasma are you contemplating?

3. Monster

Monster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Thanks Joe.

The longest run will be to the PJ. 10m. The run to the plasma would be 1m or less. I'm considering the Pioneer 435 display. DVD and X Box are both component out.

I was hoping there would be some sort of mechanical switch available that can physically change the contacts from one output lead to another but can't find one anywhere...

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,126
    Hello Monster

I take it you mean the PDP-435XDE PlasmaTV - the reason I asked being that some of the Plasma Display models have pass through for RGB and YUV on HD15 (VGA) Inputs; which could have saved you requiring a distribution amp.

Your definitely going to need a Distribution Amp or Distribution Switcher with the set up your considering - the lowest cost units I know of that wont affect the quality of the output signal are from Zektor or Kramer; though both will set you back just under 250.00 GBP.

I have heard of folk using Composite + Stereo Audio switches 'Reverse Wired' as a Distribution Switcher; these cost about 30.00 GBP though from my experience they will affect your signal.

The Zektor Distribution Switcher can be controlled via IR whilst the Kramer Distribution Amp is always on for both outputs.

Best regards

Joe