Switch Buyer's Guide

Daft Ada

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We're getting a lot of new members joining the Switch forums and a lot of people are asking what games are worth picking up, so I've resurrected the old Wii U Buyer's Guide for Switch. This list is based on the average of scores from forum regulars. Games must have more than two reviews to be included.

Feel free to add your own scores (out of five) and I'll add them to the mix.

Must-haves (between 4.5 and 5)
Arms
Binding of Isaac
Minecraft
Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Super Mario Odyssey
Rocket League
Skyrim
Mario + Rabbids
Stardew Valley
Disgaea 5
Fire Emblem Warriors
Mario kart 8 Deluxe
Splatoon 2

Recommended (between 3.5 and 4.5)

SteamWorld Dig 2
Battle Chef Brigade
Doom
FIFA 18
Has-been Heroes
LA Noire
Lego City Undercover
Golf Story
Cave Story +
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Rayman Legends

Hall of Shame (lower than 2.5)
FAST RMX
Mighty Gunvolt Burst
Shock Troopers
Snake Pass
Super Sidekicks
Thumper
Neo Turf Masters
Morphite

List last updated 24/11/17

Last edited:
Sounds like a good idea, in a similar vein to my idea for the eShop October and November thread. I was thinking it would be a good idea to have a monthly thread for the best eShop releases but would it be better to have a single thread?

We're getting a lot of new members and a lot of people asking what games are worth picking up, I just wondered if there's any interest in me recreating the old Wii U Buyer's Guide thread? If people are happy to share ratings out of five, I'll collate and list the top ten or something.

Yea this would be a great idea. I've counted up my Switch games and have 62 at the moment :eek: so I'm good for reviews!

Great idea mate I'll go through my games and give ratings out of 5

Zelda -5/5
Mario Kart 8 - 5/5
Mario Odyssey - 5/5
Skyrim - 5/5
Rocket League - 5/5
LA Noire - 4/5
Doom - 4/5
Rayman legends - 4/5
Lego city undercover - 4/5
FAST RMX - 3/5
Ultra Streetfighter 2 - 3/5
1-2 Switch - 3/5

Cheers SAF :)

I'll just wait for @pbb76 's epic review list then I'll get cracking with the number-crunching. :laugh:

If anyone else wants to add their reviews in the mean time go ahead.

5 = Must have
4 = Recommended
3 = Ok
2 = Poor
1 = I'd rather be watching an England friendly

Last edited:

Zelda -5/5
Mario Kart 8 - 5/5
Mario Odyssey - 5/5
Skyrim - 5/5
Rocket League - 5/5
LA Noire - 4/5
Doom - 4/5
Rayman legends - 4/5
FAST RMX - 3/5
1-2 Switch - 3/5

Where's Splatoon 2 ???

Where's Splatoon 2 ???

Sold it on bud didn't get on with it at all. Must have played for approx an hour and it's just not my cup of cha. Thought I'd give it a second chance after not getting on with the first one but nope.

Now if they remade zombi u or announced a sequel I'd be all over that!

Here is the Switch's Gold list .. these 4 are some of the best games I have played in my life

Zelda BOTW = Gold
Mario Odyssey = Gold
Splatoon 2 = Gold
Mario Kart 8 = Gold

The rest =

Skyrim 5/5
Rocket League 5/5
Arms 5/5
The binding of Isaac 5/5
Mario + Rabbids 5/5
Rayman legends 5/5
Stardew Valley 5/5
Steamworld Dig 2 5/5
Minecraft Switch 5/5
Doom 5/5
LA Noire 5/5

Worms WMD 4/5
Pokken tournament 4/5
Street fighter 2 4/5
Sonic mania 4/5
Cave story 4/5

Dragon ball xenoverse 2 3/5
Fast RMX 3/5
Namco museum 3/5
Puyo puyo Tetris 3/5
Thumper 3/5
Overcooked 3/5
Gonner 3/5
Tumbleseed 3/5
Graceful explosion 3/5
Shovel knight treasure trove 3/5

Morphite 2/5
Super Bomberman R 2/5

Last edited:
Sold it on bud didn't get on with it at all. Must have played for approx an hour and it's just not my cup of cha. Thought I'd give it a second chance after not getting on with the first one but nope.

Wow I'm shocked !! Just shocked ... it's probably the best online shooter I have ever played , that colourful ink and ridiculous music puts me on an instant high ... they added sooooo much new content too ridiculous amounts , I hate 3rd person shooters aswell but this really won me over :)

Wow I'm shocked !! Just shocked ... it's probably the best online shooter I have ever played , that colourful ink and ridiculous music puts me on an instant high ... they added sooooo much new content too ridiculous amounts , I hate 3rd person shooters aswell but this really won me over :)

lol I know mate believe you me I tried, hence forking out £40 for the second one. I was the same with ARMS, played it and found it quite enjoyable for a bit but then no replay value and little content for me so moved it on.

I might buy it again to give it another go but waay too much to be getting on with right now, have mario rabbids sealed and unused which I'll have a go on at some point, that's another one people have been raving about :)

Zelda -5/5
Mario Kart 8 - 5/5
Mario Odyssey - 5/5
Skyrim - 5/5
Rocket League - 5/5
LA Noire - 4/5
Doom - 4/5
Rayman legends - 4/5
FAST RMX - 3/5
1-2 Switch - 3/5

It's funny how times change ... but if street fighter 2 ultra was released 25 years ago it would be 10/10 lol

Yea this would be a great idea. I've counted up my Switch games and have 62 at the moment :eek: so I'm good for reviews!

I honestly can't see another game for the Switch that I want except maybe Lego city undercover & Axiom verge and I have 31 .,but you really took the p*ss there lol 62 !!!!!

Last edited:
lol I know mate believe you me I tried, hence forking out £40 for the second one. I was the same with ARMS, played it and found it quite enjoyable for a bit but then no replay value and little content for me so moved it on.

I might buy it again to give it another go but waay too much to be getting on with right now, have mario rabbids sealed and unused which I'll have a go on at some point, that's another one people have been raving about :)

Arms has had lots of new content added aswell (not like Splatoon 2 mind you ) new arenas and fighters seem to getting it beefed up slowly but surely ,
Splatoon 2 has had 6 new maps added since and another added tomorrow, plus 3 more maps to be added 1 per month till until February, tons of new weapons too .. I don't think any game has ever given this amount of free content in history lol

Yeah Mario + Rabbids is awesome u wanna unwrap that soon too

Arms has had lots of new content added aswell (not like Splatoon 2 mind you ) new arenas and fighters seem to getting it beefed up slowly but surely ,
Splatoon 2 has had 6 new maps added since and another added tomorrow, plus 3 more maps to be added 1 per month till until February, tons of new weapons too .. I don't think any game has ever given this amount of free content in history lol

See now if they did that for mk8 I'd be a happy bunny :) more tracks/items etc... would be nice.

Cheers SAF :)

I'll just wait for @pbb76 's epic review list then I'll get cracking with the number-crunching. :laugh:

If anyone else wants to add their reviews in the mean time go ahead.

5 = Must have
4 = Recommended
3 = Ok
2 = Poor
1 = I'd rather be watching an England friendly

These are taken from my scores on NintendoLife and I've had to adjust them a bit to match your scoring scheme above.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 5
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 5
The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ 5
Super Mario Odyssey 5
SteamWorld Dig 2 5
Stardew Valley 5
Splatoon 2 5
Rocket League 5
NBA 2K14 5
Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition 5
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle 5
DOOM 5
Disgaea 1 Complete 5
Fire Emblem Warriors 5
FIFA 14 4
Mario Kart 4 Deluxe 4
Has-Been Heroes 4
Golf Story 4
Farming Simulator: Nintendo Switch Edition 4
Chess Ultra 4
Axiom Verge 4
Sonic Mania 4
Shantae: Half-Genie Hero 4
Puyo Puyo Tetris 4
Graceful Explosion Machine 4
Battle Chef Brigade 4
Neo Turf Masters 3
Sine Mora EX 3
Just Dance 2013 3
Metal Slug X 3
GoNNER 3
Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap 3
Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers 3
TumbleSeed 3
This Is The Police 3
Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove 3
Shock Troopers 3
Oceanhorn: Monster of Uncharted Seas 3
Namco Museum 3
Mantis Burn Racing 3
I Am Setsuna 3
Gear.Club Unlimited 3
Cave Story+ 3
Cat Quest 3
VOEZ 3
Thumper 2
The King of Fighters '14 2
Super Sidekicks 2
Super Bomberman R 2
Shephy 2
Overcooked: Special Edition 2
NBA Playgrounds 2
Morphite 2
LEGO Worlds 2
Kamiko 2
Fast RMX 2
Kingdom: New Lands 2
Snipperclips - Cut it out, together! 1
Mighty Gunvolt Burst 1
Blaster Master Zero 1
Mr. Shifty 1

Ok, my list:

5/5
Zelda
Mario Odyssey
Mariokart 8
Arms
Snipperclips Plus
Stardew Valley

4/5
Blaster Master Zero
FIFA 18
Fire Emblem Warriors
Golf Story
Lego City
Picross
Piczle Lines DX
Puyo Tetris
Steamworld Dig 2
Bomberman

3/5
I Am Setsuna
Snake Pass

I haven't played any real stinkers yet, and thanks to your scores I'll never have to!

Ok, my list:
I haven't played any real stinkers yet, and thanks to your scores I'll never have to!

Interesting you gave Snipperclips a 5 and I gave it a 1!

I couldnt stand it after all the hype. Tried it solo which was obviously rubbish and I accept thats how its not meant to be played, but playing it with others was just annoying and frustrating.

Interesting you gave Snipperclips a 5 and I gave it a 1!

I couldnt stand it after all the hype. Tried it solo which was obviously rubbish and I accept thats how its not meant to be played, but playing it with others was just annoying and frustrating.

Yeah I was surprised to see that and Master Blaster at the bottom of your list, thought it must be a typo :laugh:

My whole family are into games, especially party games, so something like Snipperclips is fantastic at family gatherings. Even the in-laws join in, shouting instructions even though they have no idea what to do.

I don't usually query reviews of games I have not played myself. But can a 5/5 really be justified for MK8D, when it is essentially nothing more than a fix of MK8 Wii U, and the game that should have been anyway. Don't get me wrong very much looking forward to MK8D and expect to enjoy it and it to be a good experience. Just under the circumstances it must surely lose something for being an update, rather than an actual new game.

Hope I am not being awkward :)

I don't usually query reviews of games I have not played myself. But can a 5/5 really be justified for MK8D, when it is essentially nothing more than a fix of MK8 Wii U, and the game that should have been anyway. Don't get me wrong very much looking forward to MK8D and expect to enjoy it and it to be a good experience. Just under the circumstances it must surely lose something for being an update, rather than an actual new game.

Hope I am not being awkward :)

Not at all! It's good to have different opinions to discuss.

Personally, Mario Kart 8 was the best Mario Kart ever made, hands down. The graphics, soundtrack, handling and online options were tuned to absolute perfection. It was, and still is, a joy to play. The only thing missing was a proper battle mode.

MK8 Deluxe is still the ultimate kart racer, but it ships with 16 DLC tracks the original release didn't have, has proper battle arenas and modes, and is fully portable. Had Nintendo just taken the original Wii U game and put it on Switch I'd agree it should have a few marks taken off, but the additions and fine-tuning mean it earns that 'Deluxe' suffix and deserves 10/10 (or 5/5 in this case).

At the moment MK8 Deluxe has an average score of 4.8 in our Buyer's Guide, so not quite perfect :D

I feel the same about Splatoon. I can see that its a great game and can see why people enjoy it (my son loves it) but despite trying to get into it on the wiiu and now the switch I just cant get on with it and end up getting bored.

Putting my scores together at the moment but for some reason finding it harder to score out of 5 than out of 10. Not sure why but I feel like im being too harsh on my lower scoring games when its out of 5.

@Daft Ada are half point scores allowed or would that make it too awkward? (my mom always told me I was awkward :D)

Mk8 is still one that's played routinely round ours. The battle mode alone is worth the admission imo it's the only mode I play either with my son, family or mates. The different play styles in battle mode are mostly excellent it's just the cherry on an already sweet cake :)

Ok here's mine

Binding of Isaac - 5
Rocket League - 5
Zelda - 5
Mario Odyssey - 5
Mario + Rabbids - 5
Splatoon 2 - 5
Rive - 4
Battle Chef Brigade - 4
Doom - 4
LA noire - 4
Steamworld dig 2 - 4
Snipper clips - 4
Stardew Valley - 4
Skyrim - 4
Disgaea 5 - 4
Mariokart deluxe - 4
Mantis burn racing - 3
Splasher - 3
Puyo puyo Tetris - 3
Ironclad - 3
Sonic mania - 3
Shovel Knight - 3
Monopoly - 3
Blaster Master - 3
Has been heroes - 3, although I'm tempted with a 4.
Neurovoider - 2 (barely played, might increase with more time)
Snake Pass - 2
World Heroes perfect -2
Neo Turf Masters -2
Metal slug 3 - 2
Nam 1975 - 2
Shock Troopers - 2
Double Dragon IV - 2
Fast RMX - 2

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel